WineBoard
Mondovino - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Mondovino (/thread-12653.html)

- wineguruchgo - 07-16-2005

Has anyone seen this yet? Just released on DVD this week.

Basically it's a low-budget documentary about the political world of wine. Topics include how the styles of wines are changing, especially in Bordeaux and Burgundy. The effect that Parker has on wineries and how some think that because of him illegal practices are going on in Burgundy. The problem with the Mondavi's when they wanted to buy in lower France and wasn't allowed to so they turned to Italy.

It's really interesting. A must rent for all cork-dorks!

- jv38 - 07-16-2005

I watched it a couple of days ago. I found it very interesting. Even if it is low budget, it's very well done and captures the wine scene on its best (or worst) behavior.

I always have been interested in the wine industry and the conflict between the “new world” wine and the “old world” wine.

This documentary on my opinion do not favor one side over the other, but left the players speak their mind and let you decide who is right.

The ambiance is very informal and you can see that the conversations are casual and not scripted.

The documentary is 2 hours 15 minutes long and with 55 additional minutes of deleted scenes.

I believe this is a must see if you are “wine crazy” as I am. I give it a 95... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/cool.gif[/img]

- dananne - 07-16-2005

We started watching it last night and will finish tonight. I agree -- very entertaining and enlightening stuff.

- Bucko - 07-16-2005

I thought it was pretty lame myself, sorry.

- Botafogo - 07-16-2005

This is old news, all the controversy was MONTHS ago. That said, my favorite scene is when schlockmeister general James Suckling jokes about giving his landlord's wines higher score so he can keep his apartment. AND, the two Haitian guys in Neal's warehouse discussing terroir in the context of mango trees was sweet...

Like me, the film maker has a Brasileira better half and an apartment in Rio. I hope to have drinks with him next month.

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 07-16-2005).]

- Bucko - 07-17-2005

Maybe old news for you, but for us mere peons the DVD was just released.

- Botafogo - 07-17-2005

Bucko, was there not a run in theaters there? Here and in San Francisco it was the subject of special screenings with wine tastings, panel discussions, etc but also played for a couple of weeks for the general public.

Plus Jonathan sent out preview DVD's to every wine writer he could find last November...

- sharon001 - 07-17-2005

I have to say I agree with Bucko... The subject is fascinating and there are some great moments, but the film itself is pretty terrible - its two cinematic discoveries being weirdo closeups (someone's eye? chin?), and dogs.

The hand-held camera made me ill. It was too long (Sardinia?).

Then again, I *loved* Hubert de Montille and his daughter (and even the jerky son, with his smile and paternal complex).

Maybe that's why I'm being so harsh - there was a lot of material, but I didn't feel like it was put together well...

- Botafogo - 07-17-2005

"(Sardinia?)"

A) I thought the Sardo guy was the BEST expositor of Jonathan's point.

B) There are LOTS of great wines made there (many of which in the bad old days were whisked off to France to be sold as "Burgundy").

C) There is a real danger of Sardegna becoming the next Sicily or Spain with lots of foreign money paying for Australian winemakers to produce international versions of French grapes to sell mostly to the American market which seems to have an insatiable demand for "foreign" and "exotic" things that are really just like what we make here.

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 07-17-2005).]

- robr - 07-17-2005

I was under the impression that French wines were a bit better than California, or at least different. I have tried both, and my limited experience has been that French wines are generally more "earthy" tasting.

I actually posted a question about this last week and that is the same comment made by one of the moderators of this board.

- jmcginley1 - 07-21-2005

I just added this to my netflix list. I'll reply soon.

- fsufan - 07-27-2005

One of my friends just saw it and said it was fantastic so I added it to my Netflix List...will get back soon