WineBoard
Please drive defensively!!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Please drive defensively!!! (/thread-12625.html)

- Drew - 02-19-2005

4 years and two +months ago, 12/00, I rear ended an SUV going less than 15 mph causing a couple hundred $ of damage to the other vehicle. He sued me for $500,000 claiming an additional back injury, the first which occurred 1 month prior, and you guessed it another rear ender. Several years after the incident my insurance Co. recognized that this extorter was/is a professional law suiter. The law suit was filed in Baltimore City ALTHOUGH, I don't live in the City, the accident didn't occur in the City, the accident didn't occur while I was working...I just happen to work in the City and the Supreme Court sez you can be sued where the accident occurred or where you live or where you work. Baltimore City is known for it's, award 'em everything juries, Hell, it's not HIS money, he's not loosing anything, it's the big insurance Co. money...they won't miss it. It's OK in Baltimore to commit theft by deception. SOoo, we fight this pro for 4+ years, discredit him, catch him lying on two depostions. His attorney was nervous while the Jury was deliberating yesterday PM and tried to negotiate a settlement with my attorney but, too late the jury returns with a verdict against me for $82,000. Now the good? news is I have plenty of Insurance and have been with the same Co. as a good driver for 30 years and they acknowledge that this guy is a pro and they were up against my beloved Baltimore Jury. SO, and you've been patient, Please, Please, Please keep plenty of room between you and the car ahead, no matter the slow speed you are traveling. These types of miscreatants breed and live everywhere.

Drew

- hotwine - 02-19-2005

Holy cow! Sorry to hear that tale, Drew. The creep's lawyer will likely get most of the award, but the creep will still be encouraged to try the scam again. Good warning to all of us.

- wineguruchgo - 02-19-2005

So sorry to hear that. But the verdict certainly sounds as if it was in your favor (considering the alternative).

I always keep plenty of room between me and the others. Even if someone is creeping up behind me.

Thanks for the reminder.

- Drew - 02-19-2005

Forgot to mention that they put a $150,000 cap on the settlement 30 days before the trial.

Drew

- willp58 - 02-19-2005

God , I just hate to see stuff like this! One reason I like Bush's plan to restrict medical lawsuits...All fraudulent lawsuits cost us all money.
WE pay for it..Ins companies lose nothing!

Good luck and thanks for the defensive driving reminder.

- Kcwhippet - 02-19-2005

Not wanting to dis any of the legal types we may have on board, but wasn't tort reform supposed to cure that sort of behavior. At least it was until all the lawyers in Congress woke up. They dumped on that like they did on term limits.

- winoweenie - 02-19-2005

Well Drewskie looks like the scam artists aren't only located out west. # years ago the same scam was tried on me but I did exactly 75 bucks damage to this suckers bumper so when we hit the courtroom my insurance cos attorney said " NO WAY JOSE " to the settlement and told the sucker he was counter-suing for my lawyer fees and any court fees. After the 1st hour of court time the Judge called a recess and said unless the plaintiff could call up more supporting witnesses he was dismiassing the suit. I really love the restraints our Pres is putiing on the jackels that cost us all a ton of money. Glad it went your way Drew. WW

- wondersofwine - 02-21-2005

Sorry for you Drew. On the other hand, I was rearended on my way home from work in November 2003. My 1999 car would have been paid off the following March. Was declared totaled and the other driver's insurance gave me a check for about $4400, the current market value of the 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier. I bought another Chevrolet Cavalier (2003) with 19,000 miles on it and under $10,000 but I'm still making car payments and will be for the next 3-4 years because I couldn't replace my car for $4400 and be sure of the reliability of the next car. So instead of experiencing 2 or 3 years with no car payments, I will be paying off the replacement car probably until 2008 or 2009. (Of course, you didn't total the car you hit so that is a different story).

- Georgie - 02-22-2005

Tough break, Drew.