WineBoard
wines with appetizers - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: wines with appetizers (/thread-1260.html)

- optimus36 - 10-23-2000

i was wondering what kind of wine you would serve with appetizers like shrimp, potato slices, bacon and tomato, and proscutto wraped cantloupe?

- Innkeeper - 10-23-2000

Either an Italian or Californian Barbera that costs $14.00 or less. The reason for the price point is that more expensive barberas are more complex and often a little oaky, which wrecks havoc with these appetizers. The reason for the choice is that barbera is a red with enough acid to cut through the acids in your food, partiularly the tomatoes. If you think you must have a white, recommend an unoaked sauvignon blanc such as one from New Zealand or a Sancerre from the Loire region in France.

- Thomas - 10-23-2000

If you go with white think about a Sauvignon Blanc or Tocai Friuliano from the Friuli region of Italy.

Incidentally, that prosciutto will go much better with a honeydew than with a 'loupe--or try a Persian melon, if you are lucky to locate one--and a squirt of lemon.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 10-23-2000).]

- Botafogo - 10-23-2000

Uhhh, scuzzate tutti, but if you look up "Prosecco" in the dictionary the DEFINITION will be:

>>what kind of wine you would serve with appetizers like shrimp, potato slices, bacon and tomato, and proscutto wrapped cantloupe?<<

I live to serve, Roberto

- Innkeeper - 10-23-2000

Roberto, even though Valley Stream is an erudite community, it is not likely that one could wander down to the local wine store and order up a bottle of Prosecco.

- mrdutton - 10-23-2000

What do book worms and bubbly from Italy have to do with each other? Erudite means learned from books......... Us here in da Beach can't even find that Prosecco stuff..... I sure don't recall the thread, but someone here (other than Roberto) once told me I probably wouldn't want to find the stuff anyways (and it sure was not Willie G, cuz he recommends it!).

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 10-23-2000).]

- Botafogo - 10-23-2000

Well, if you can't find what is certainly the world's most versitile apertivo (Prosecco that is), then you WILL be able to find something like it: sparkling, not bone dry or too yeasty and with some nice aromatics. MANY Loire Valley or Southern French sparklers or even a better quality Cava would suffice.

As to availability, WINEBOW (Leonardo Locasio Selections) is distributed agressively in over forty states and Zardetto is their best value for money wine so it's out there......

If you can find Ruggeri or Bisol or Canella, so much the better. Roberto

- Botafogo - 10-23-2000

>>even though Valley Stream is an erudite community, it is not likely that one could wander down to the local wine store and order up a bottle of Prosecco.<<

If they carry Allegrini, Librandi, Coltibuono, Zenato, Maculan or Giacosa, they can get Zardetto. If they carry Caprai, they can get Ruggeri. If they carry Foradori, San Leonardo, Castello di Rampolla or Planeta they can get Bisol. If they carry Jermann, Pieropan, Monte Antico, Terre di Tufi or Bellavista they can get Canella. Ask and you may receive.....

Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 10-23-2000).]

- Bucko - 10-23-2000

Man oh man, you all be crazy. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img] A perfect match would be a lovely Loire Sancerre. Yum, yum....

Bucko

- optimus36 - 10-24-2000

THIS QUESTION IS FOR MY SCHOOL PROJECT, I HAVE TO CREATE A MENU FOR A PARTICULAR TYPE OF RESTAURANT. YOUR COMMENTS WERE VERY HELPFUL, IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING ELSE I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR IT

- mrdutton - 10-24-2000

You don't have to shout....... BTW using all caps is considered to be shouting if you didn't know that.........

Well guys, looks like we got drawn into doing someone's homework for them again.....

GRIN!!

- optimus36 - 10-24-2000

sorry for the shouting, i shouldnt be screaming at you nice people. as a college student i am taught to use what resources are around me, this was a resource and i used it! you guys should be happy to pass the knowledge on, because it will be used outside of school as well. what i was told could help my sex life as well!
thanks again
LETS GO METS!

- Thomas - 10-24-2000

Sex life! That was Prosecco not Prosexo that Roberto recommended.

- optimus36 - 10-24-2000

well i think i should lose the tough guy beer thing and educate myself on something that most of the ladies like to drink and in the process get an "A"

- Thomas - 10-24-2000

By the way, what is the nature of your schooling? Are you in a viticultural course or something related?

- mrdutton - 10-24-2000

Roberto,

You are in the wrong part of the world...............

You need to come east and experience for yourself just how barren it is around here (with the exception of a couple of very decent cultural centers, such as NYC and DC).

'Cuz everyone of those you named fell on my unknowing ears -

<<If they carry Allegrini, Librandi, Coltibuono, Zenato, Maculan or Giacosa, they can get Zardetto. If they carry Caprai, they can get Ruggeri. If they carry Foradori, San Leonardo, Castello di Rampolla or Planeta they can get Bisol. If they carry Jermann, Pieropan, Monte Antico, Terre di Tufi or Bellavista they can get Canella. Ask and you may receive.....>>

Try Bolla and Ruffino around here........... but I'll sure keep em in mind and will surely keep looking!!