WineBoard
Costco Question - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Costco Question (/thread-12597.html)

- Innkeeper - 12-17-2008

For those of you who shop at Costco. What temperature are the wines retailed at, and do the bottles stand up or lay down?

We don't have one nearby, but do have a warehouse operation called BJs that we joined today. The food, particularly meats are terrific, but the wine concerns me. It is mostly the supermarket variety with a couple or three that we might be interested in. However, all bottles are standing up in 75 degree heat.

- mrdutton - 12-17-2008

Can't say much about Costco because it has been a few years since I was a member. But Sam's club displays their wines, depending on quality, either standing up or laying down in wood cases.

The interior of the store is cool, but not chilly, probably around 67-69 would be my guess.

In Virginia, all of the grocery stores sell wine. I've never seen any grocery story wines sold laid-down. The grocery stores sell wines in the $6.99 to $55.00 price range, generally speaking.

- hotwine - 12-18-2008

Costco temperature is a definite concern. It's cool in their stores but not cold. (Will try to remember to take my little infrared wine thermometer and check bottle temps on next visit.) The wine section is adjacent to the meat displays, so it's the coolest part of the store. The better wines are displayed horizontally in their cases with only the plonk standing upright.

Have sometimes bought wines there that showed evidence of heat damage in the form of leakage around the cork. Most recent example was the '03 Antinori CCR, a beautiful wine if intact. Unfortunately, the DOC certification stamp around the bottom edge of the capsule prevents the capsule from being turned to ensure it's loose, and not stuck by dried wine. So I sniff the capsule in an effort to detect leakage.... sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.

One thing in the customer's favor is Costco's VERY rapid turnover of inventory; the good stuff frequently goes out the door the same day it's brought in. I try to do my shopping on one of the two days each week on which the wines are re-stocked.

The issues of warehouse storage and transportation are also concerns. Am assuming that Costco buys its wines from one of the two big local wholesalers, which use refrigerated storage; that would leave road transportation as the weak link. So to try to work with that, have found it best to avoid buying good stuff from Costco in the spring and summer, and in cool months shop only on re-stocking days.

It's worth the freight to give them a try. After all, they're the biggest wine retailer in the country, and their prices (in my experience) can be as much as 40% below local retail.

- Thomas - 12-18-2008

This is a perfect thread for New Yorkers, as the governor has asked the legislature--finally--to allow wine in grocery stores in the state.

Of course, the first thing that came up is how minors will have access to alcohol in a grocery store (disregarding the fact that they already do--beer).

The second thing that comes up is that grocery stores will sell plonk and provide equally low quality sales people.

It will be fun to watch the idea make its way through all the special interests.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 12-18-2008).]

- hotwine - 12-18-2008

Should also mention that Costco offers gasoline at less than normal retail; a Costco debit card or Costco American Express card is required. Also, they pay an annual rebate that's based on your purchase volume.... seems to be about 2%. And their BEEF, pork and seafood is all of excellent quality.

- hotwine - 12-19-2008

Checked temp on a couple of bottles in the store today and both showed about 65 degrees ... too warm for long-term storage but am figuring that short-term it's not a problem. (The device I used is from VinTemp, about the size of s stubby penlight. Hold its business end between 1/2 in and 1 inch from the side of the bottle, push the button, and the temp shows up on an LCD. From Wine Enthusiast in the $10-$20 range.)

- brappy - 12-20-2008

I've never had any issues with Costco.... I'm actually VERY thankful to be able to grab some wine from them. Of course only when I'm in another state. I've also never needed a Costco credit card, just a membership to get gas. But who knows what laws states have.

mark

- hotwine - 12-20-2008

Looks like the VinTemp was actually purchased from iwa.com. See http://www.iwawine.com/orstore/showitem.aspx?productid=HM174-001