WineBoard
Weekend wishes - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Weekend wishes (/thread-12561.html)

Pages: 1 2

- TheEngineer - 01-23-2005

SNOWBLOWER! I wish. I went to Sears to look for one yesterday and they were ALL SOLD OUT! Only the really high end tractor versions were left.....

This was all muscle power with a shovel....ohmagawd ma back hurts......

Just about ready to go out again to remove the snow pile that the snow plows left on my front driveway.....again.....#!%%#$!%@

- winoweenie - 01-23-2005

Sunshine plows easily!!!!(giggle,snort) WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- PinotEnvy - 01-24-2005

Nothing like a snowfall to make me appreciate my townhome association. Go to sleep with a snowy driveway wake up and its all cleared. The again, the sound of the plow outside my window did wake me a 3 in the blessed AM.

- hotwine - 01-24-2005

Hope all of you folks in the frozen nawth survived the blizzard OK. Snow is nice to look at and play in, but sure not a lot of fun to do anything else in.... like work, drive, live....

- wondersofwine - 01-24-2005

Sorry Glenora about the disastrous temps in Finger Lakes area.
Fortunately, Fayetteville did not get the icy roads that Raleigh area had last week. They dismissed school around noon but conditions were so bad that most school buses could not complete their routes. They were called off the road at 9:00 PM and about 3000 students ended up stranded at their schools overnite. Teachers, administrators, PTA members and neighbors of the schools provided bedding and sandwiches, etc. The school buses began moving again 0830 the next morning to take the stranded students home. Commuters from Triangle Research Park and elsewhere spent hours on the roads. Many cars abandoned and people walked home or got a ride with someone in a four-wheel drive vehicle, etc. The Governor called Wake County officials to see if they should open shelters for stranded motorists and someone hung up on him (apologized the next day). Something like 600 accidents in Raleigh alone in a 12-hour period, including cars and a trailer-truck flipped over. Wake County Sheriff Deputies helped out State Troopers on accident scenes. (Only about 1-2" of snow but the ice and unexpectedness of the snowfall created chaos.) Weather predictions had all been for only a light dusting of snow in Raleigh area but the jet stream dipped further south than expected or something.

- wondersofwine - 01-24-2005

Georgie,
Hope you don't end up stranded at the school overnight with your students. (That will call for a real Port in the storm.) I heard that some of the children who did get home by school bus or the parents picking them up regretted missing the huge "slumber party" or sleepover at the school.

- Georgie - 01-24-2005

Well, here I am at school. We had a delayed opening. Seems 11 inches of snow isn't enough to get us a day off. Geesh. Compared to some of you, we didn't have too much. I have very nice young neighbors who take pity on this old gal next door and shovel me out. I bake them brownies and never complain when their son bounces his baseball off my car all summer. It works out.
As for the thought of being stranded here with these gremlins...just shoot me.

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 01-24-2005).]

- Innkeeper - 01-24-2005

Well we are all shoveled out. Only got about six more inches. The problem was I had to clear a walk and porch that had not been cleared all winter, because it leads to our widest door. Tomorrow we have to pick up two reupholstered pieces of furniture. One is a six foot couch, and the other is an overstuffed chair that had to be disassembled to get it out of the house!

- Kcwhippet - 01-24-2005

All the schools in Massachusetts are closed today except for one town - mine. They opted for a two hour delayed opening. I hope they had more luck moving the buses over our roads than I did with my car.

- Georgie - 01-24-2005

Ooh, I can just hear those teachers! What was that superintendent thinking? Most of our county's schools, including all those in our area are closed. You should hear the griping going on around here today! The campers are not happy! Really. What's the point of putting students and staff in jeopardy on a day like this? No one would be surprised or critical of closing. And as a tax payer, I shudder to think what they had to pay the maintenance and ground crews in double-overtime to get them in here on a Sunday to clear things. Just doesn't make sense.

- dananne - 01-24-2005

Wonders -- What a nightmare. I'm with Georgie: shoot me.

I can't even imagine being trapped inside my school all night with my hormonal middle schoolers. Not to mention those preschoolers . . . Yikes!