WineBoard
WITHSTAND - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: WITHSTAND (/thread-12542.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Innkeeper - 04-22-2001

Just reporting the news sir. Didn't ever hear about not shooting the messenger?

- Thomas - 04-22-2001

ww, the difference is that Old World winemaking created nooooaaaances and su(b)tttleeteees with oak integration; New World blasts us out of the atmosphere with woooood. Sorry to say that Old World is trying hard to woo New World and in some Old World quarters they are extracting and oaking to the nth degree.

A good wine, wherever it is produced, is a good wine--red, white, pink or green (homage to Portugal), no matter the varietal (except of course that crazy stuff we call French-American hybrids!).

- winecollector - 04-22-2001

My dear Mr Weenie, so glad you have stumbled back to our abode! Do you have any idea what I have had to put up with these last several days? This WITHSTAND crowd has been relentless with me, and as far as Drew, he must have hid under a rock or somethin'!

Anyway, yes.... I am ashamed of myself, for not opening more of my high end wines. The thought of my Caymus Special Selection down there in the cellar, going over the teeth and through the gums.... is appealing even though paying $140 a bottle here in PA. I stand corrected by the great Mr Weenie, and humbly await my pennance....

- Drew - 04-23-2001

Trying to argue with a "Withstand" member is like trying to argue religion...I figured if you ignore 'em, they'll go away. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Drew

- winoweenie - 04-23-2001

Hi there Drew and WC. Ignore....Go Away.? It's like ignoring a pick-pocket.The next thing you know they'll take your car, then your wine, then the keys to the house. Battle them suckers and take no prisioners. WW

- winecollector - 04-23-2001

Meanwhile, Foodie, Cpurvis, and Barnesy were all holding me down after Bucko got hit with a piece of oak, and Innkeeper is trying to force me to drink his SW's!

That's okay Drew, you are forgiven....

- hotwine - 04-23-2001

While you guys are dukin' it out with oak staves, I'll be helpin' myself to yer wine & women....

- barnesy - 04-23-2001

You won't find much in my mini-cooler cellar...A few beajolais, a few SW, a couple chianti, a couple burgs and a couple bords...and as far as my woman goes, good luck....she's meaner than I, and twice as sneaky.

And If you don't see me for a few days, it's cause I am in the hospital because she saw this post.

Barnesy

- Thomas - 04-23-2001

One of my customers recently bought a clean, crisp, fruity Chardonnay--hated it. He went back to his beloved version; couldn't understand why the producer put so much fruit and crispness into a bottle when all he wants is to awaken his dead palate with a hit of oak.

"OAK LOVERS OF AMERICA LIVES!!!"

- winoweenie - 04-23-2001

Foodie ole' pal, " Subtle, nuances, complexities?"One of the great wines of my experience was the 59 Latour. Then I realized there was more to wine than Annies' purple Waters and then Lo and behold. Diamond Creek Came along. If you ever had the pleasure of a 78 Lake, it gives you everything a bottle can impart and then some. The whole thing about Calif and Bordeaux, is the growths of Bordeaux become civil much earlier in their evolution than the "growths" of Calif. So, the difference is in the tongue of the beholder, and some time...." Viva La Differencia ".Every tasting I've ever attended where 15 year-old Calif and Bordeauxs' were featured , the Califs havew won hands-down. Now I guess I'll listen to the old excuse of " Yeah, but Calif Cabs are showier and fruitier"......Well , La-De-Da if that means they're more pleasant to drink, and offer superior sippin', then line them suckers up and let's start poppin' the corks. By the way, fellers, when a Calif Cab ages the oak becomes integrated in the wine and has the propensity to add another dimension to the juice. The most graphic example I can think of is Tom Dehlingers' wines. At issue they have a ton of oak. The 95s' and earlier have shed this and are now super-duper-drinkers with a ton of complexities. Withstand now is known as withoutsitting. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

Amen, praise the lord, and pass the bottle, brother winoweenie...

- Bucko - 04-23-2001

Take my woman, PLEASE! (looking over shoulder cautiously) [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Bucko

- IrishMum - 04-23-2001

Tsk~Tsk Bucko! Where are all of the other women on here? Do I need to watch out for them ALL?! <hehehe>

- chittychattykathy - 04-24-2001

IrishMum,
I've learned to stay on the outside of some of these tangents, as one can save lots of energy doing so! (And it's often more fun to see just how far they go.)
I must mention, after reading WW's above post I really, really get the hankerin' to visit Arizona. A stop by his house for a drink or two could easily make it worth the flight! CCK

- winoweenie - 04-24-2001

Only if you eat some food with the booze. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- cpurvis - 04-24-2001

CCK, to fuel this fire we need reach no further than the oak staves in WC's chards. That plus the pure enjoyment of readin' Mr. Weenie's comments when he gets all hotted-up like he jus' swallowed a whole habanero could keep this goin' awhile.

And, as if WC hasn't already stacked enough lumber for us, Roberto just provided some w/ his latest e-missive:

"Oltrepò Pavese Barbera “La Strega, la Gazza e il Pioppo”..."One of the deepest and most concentrated Barberas we have ever encountered, will be fabulous with lamb, duck, sausages or just a big chair and a fire. Or, dilute one part in four with water to make expensive California Cab!!!"

Early in the baseball season an' here comes the Brazilian pitcher w/ the 'high heat'!

cp

- Thomas - 04-25-2001

I just finished judging for Business Traveler Magazine wines that airlines serve in First Class and Business Class. I am tongued out and so I shall leave this argument for those who know the answers.

- Botafogo - 04-28-2001

>>And what varietal composes 95% of the worlds
acknowledged rarest and most expensive wine? <<

Uhhhhh, Pinot Noir, Verne. Burgundy trounces Bordeux on both the rarity and expense fronts, although I'm not saying that's a good thing....

Roberto

- Botafogo - 04-28-2001

>>"Oltrepò Pavese Barbera “La Strega, la Gazza e il Pioppo”..."One of the deepest and most concentrated Barberas we have ever encountered, will be fabulous with lamb, duck, sausages or just a big chair and a fire. Or, dilute one part in four with water to make expensive California Cab!!!"<<

Well, we just sent a case of this to the Mondavi Winery so maybe they are going to try just that......

Roberto