WineBoard
What a sad world we live in - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What a sad world we live in (/thread-12540.html)

- wineguruchgo - 09-12-2004

I made the huge mistake of bringing in my Laguiole wine opener to work. It was the black ebony one with Stainless Steel. The only reason that I brought it is because Chef has a collection of wine openers and I wanted to show him.

I had it in my apron at the table in the private dining room that I was studying in. No one knew I had it in there. Someone must have taken it when I left to use the bathroom or got a drink of water.

I know that I can get another one. It's not the point. The fact that someone would steal from me is really disheartening. I have my suspicions and it does not include the busboys. They have no use for it and really don't understand the value of it. I believe it was a waiter. I only wish I could prove it.

I do believe in Karma and the universe righting itself. I just hope she is viscious and make the person pay. Car broken into? Wallet stolen? Bring it on!

Thanks for letting me rant. You guys know the true value of it. That it's not just a wine opener.

- Thomas - 09-12-2004

Guru,

One of the most disheartening revelations of my life is that so many people really are disgusting.

I recently had money stolen from me by a Canadian citizen for whom I went out of my way to help get working papers in the U.S., and hired to work for me. Not a lot of money--just the principle of it.

- wineguruchgo - 09-12-2004

Isn't it amazing Foodie? You wonder why people are so cynical and don't go out of their way to help others.

I'm sorry to hear that your trust has been broken as well.

Such a sad world we live in.

- winoweenie - 09-12-2004

Don't let this terrible injustice make you lose perspective that there are more good prople in the world than bad. I could rant for an hour about the many times I've been taken advanage of and then I could go on for days about the wonderful experiences I've had. Hopefully it was just misplaced. WW

- doug'n'boston - 09-12-2004

I bought Red Sox tickets on ebay Friday. The guy would only accept cash or money orders and said he'd ship them on Friday before getting my money.

I gotta tell you, I wondered if he was honest ... he wanted to have my money shipped with a tracking number right away. The game is Tuesday, so I understand the rush, but his willingness to ship so quickly with out the cash had me wondering if I was headed to a bad deal.

To my surprise and delight, the tickets showed up today, a full day early and I know from tracking, he didn't get his money yet.

We do live in a world where trust has been almost lost, but there are honest people out there! Keep the faith.

- Drew - 09-13-2004

I understand your frustration, anger and surprise with 33 years in law enforcement I LOVE to lock up thieves and bad guys. That's what makes me feel good about the bad, most get their "come up ins" sooner or later.

Drew

- winoweenie - 09-13-2004

God Is Just!WW

- Bucko - 09-13-2004

Then there are the "bad guys" who turn out not to be...

DECATUR, Georgia (AP) -- A man who spent 17 years in prison for the 1986 rape, kidnapping and robbery of a hospital worker was freed Tuesday after DNA evidence cleared him.

Clarence Harrison, 44, was sentenced to life in prison in 1987 on charges of sexually assaulting the woman as she waited for a bus.

A new DNA test of the rape kit used as evidence in the case showed Harrison did not commit the rape.

- Thomas - 09-13-2004

1987! What will the state do to give him his life back?

- Bucko - 09-14-2004

Bupkis.

- Drew - 09-14-2004

Yup and those are the cases that are hard to swallow. I think many of those convictions were due to bad victim/witness ID and borderline quality law enforcement officers/investigators. There's no place in this nation that I know of that adequetely compensates a "victim" prisoner for a bad conviction and the record still follows him/her.

Drew

- Thomas - 09-14-2004

We might as well have debtor's prisons too.

One of the things that drives me crazy about government is how those who are victimized, either by authorities or by criminals, seem to get precious little support from the tax collectors.

And when a criminal company is caught and fined, it's the government that gets paid while those who got scammed get Bucko's bupkis!

We need a revolution...wow, feels like 1967.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 09-14-2004).]

- willp58 - 09-17-2004

There are few things worse than a thief. But after reading about some of your loses, I just have to relate what happened to my 84 year old mother this summer.
She got into her car and set her purse on the truck and forgot about it..After arriving in town, she realized that it was missing so she went back home and searched all over - to no avail.
Later that day a lady called and asked if she had lost her purse. My mother said,"YES"!
The lady actually brought her purse back to her along with all the money and cards PLUS a nice piece of chocolate cake. She told mom that whenever she was having a bad day, a piece of chocolate cake is in order.
There really are some nice honest people out there.

- stevebody - 09-17-2004

Living out here in the PacNW, I have almost forgotten how genuinely nice people in the middle of the country can be. Last week we took a trip to St. Louis to have Judye evaluated by the team of Dr. William MacDonald, the surgeon who has been working with Christopher Reeve. From the minute we hit St. Louis, everyone was as friendly, courteous, helpful, and WARM as anywhere I have ever been. From the car rental guys to the hotel clerks, to the doctors, everyone smiled, asked how they could help us, went out of their way to make us comfortable...it was just such a breath of fresh air. It's not that people in Seattle are unfriendly, but there's a level of openness we never gain, here. We went from there to Joliet, IL, and it was much the same there. I take back anything snotty I might have ever said about the Midwest. We're going back in December for in-patient therapy and I can't wait.

- wineguruchgo - 09-17-2004

Steve,

All I can say is: "Welcome to the Midwest" now you know why I moved here from East Coast and stayed.

Yes, I had an unforunate thing happen to me, yet that is not indicative of the Midwest. What you experienced is.

So glad you were pleasantly surprised.

- Thomas - 09-18-2004

OK, you've made a softie out of me. Now I will relate one of the best thing that ever happened to me, and in NYCity.

Once left my wallet on a train--credit cards, driver's license, you know, all that unnecessary stuff we carry around, plus a little cash. I spent that whole morning canceling my cards, et al. And then about 3 days later, the wallet with cards and money arrived in the mail with a note: you should be more careful.

I should have been, and I have been ever since.

- winoweenie - 09-18-2004

And That's The Truth! He 'aint pulled that sucker out to pay a tab since. WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Thomas - 09-18-2004

Tab--I never drink that stuff...