WineBoard
It's good to be different... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: It's good to be different... (/thread-12534.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- stevebody - 08-29-2003

Bravo, Roberto! I definitely have to drop by on my next trip to SoCal. To me, Chianti is the least interesting of the Italian wine regions and Pinot Grigio is appealing to most of us mainly because it's chardonnay with a fake Italian accent.

I (gently) steer people to other wines all the time and plan to continue. Hold the line, baby!

- Botafogo - 08-29-2003

Steve, how long could you hold your tongue in the following situation:

A guy comes in saying that FIVE different friends have told him we are the ONLY place to buy Champagne for his wedding. We go through his needs and budget for twenty minutes and recommend a Premier Cru Brut from a grower in Vertus at $17.99 before our 10% off Anniversary sale discount or a VERY prestigious Prosecco Cartizze at about the same price. WHILE he is standing here, a guy comes in raving about the Vertus Brut, telling how it was the wine of the evening at a fizz tasting at the Hollywood Bowl against some pricey competition.

The guy says, "I have to call my expert" and calls a guy who works for Newsweek in the foreign desk in NYC. He makes a big deal in the store about it and ten people are listening to him yelling into his cell phone. So, when he reads the "expert" the label of the Champagne (Vertus Premier Cru Brut AOC" and the grower's name) the "expert" asks him to ask me if it is "real Champagne"?!?!?!?!? The guy asks him about the Prosecco, reading the label which includes the word "spumante" and the guy tells him "all spumantes are sickly sweet"!?!?!?

I tell the guy (who is a lawyer) that he is doing the equivalent of asking Justice Rhenquist for a legal definition (not an opinion) and then calling the court reporter from the local news in front of him to verify it and that it is flat out offensive AND that the guy is seriously deficient in information.

His fiance agrees, and mentions three more of HER friends who told them to listen to us because we don't sell mass market crap and beat the shit out of our suppliers for pricing. I pity that girl.....

Roberto

- stevebody - 08-29-2003

Curiously, I think I could rein it in on that one. I think I'd ask if his "expert" was in the wine trade and then point out that an "expert" wouldn't have to ask what your wine was, would know that "spumante" simply means sparkling, and would realize that a ton of great bubbly is made outside of Champagne. I think where I would kneecap the SOB is for yelling self-importantly into his cel, bothering a lot of people who are guaranteed not to think he's an important guy for having A) a cel phone and B) an "expert", but an arrogant prick. The first part is just ignorance, which is common and shouldn't be treated as anything other than the social deficiency it is. The second part is just oblivious, trashy rudeness and that is NOT acceptable. You can live without that a__hole's business.

If he left with a working pulse, I applaud your restraint.

- Thomas - 08-29-2003

Roberto, when we get that kind of stuff we politely point the intruder to the store up the street, the one with bullet proof glass and wines that stand by the refrigerator compressor for weeks before they are sold.

- Georgie - 08-29-2003

SB, school starts next week, and if you don't watch your language I'll be sending home a note to your mother....that goes for you, too, Roberto.

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 08-29-2003).]

- randery - 08-29-2003

Hey Roberto, this guy sounds like a guy that I advised to plead guilty when I was young and idealistic public defender. He called his brother to see if he should stand trial and face 7 years minimum or take the 3 years suspended after 9 months (7 already served)on a lesser plea that I recommended. His brother was a car detailer. HE was a car thief! The justice is that he served the time, not me. In your case, this guy will ALWAYS be an a******, but you saw him only once.

- winoweenie - 08-30-2003

Ah! The travails of retail. but....That's why youse guys make the big bucks. By the way Roberto, CB and I are going to spend next week in Newport Beach and probably come up and pick up the last stash next Sat. If you have another 2 cases of that swill put it back. One of my chillin' loves it AND can afford it. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- Botafogo - 08-30-2003

No problem, you got the LAST two cases!

Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 08-30-2003).]

- stevebody - 08-31-2003

Georgie,

Jeez, I'm sorry...again. I am a worthless pottymouth. (Pottyfingers?) I'm attaching a note to the top of my screen, right now, that says "Watch Your Language". I'll try harder.

Steve

- Botafogo - 08-31-2003

Negatory there Steve, this forum was established BY adults FOR adults (and primarily by a guy who was randier than five Portugues sailors after a round the world voyage)...

- Thomas - 08-31-2003

Are you impugning randery's character?

Oh, randier--randier...got it!

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 08-31-2003).]

- Georgie - 08-31-2003

Thank you Steve. Roberto, "adult" is not a synonym for "crude." I realize that a well placed four-letter word can really help to make a point and I am not above using some mild expletives in my own speech when among friends. But seeing certain vulgarities in PRINT in a public forum is, to me, a bit jarring. I am grateful for the use of asterisks or the like as a means of visual censorship. So knock it the **** off, will ya? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- winoweenie - 08-31-2003

Boto is telling it like it was there Georgie sweetir-pie. Curmy would rather use 6 four-letter words than one adjetive that was more effective and descriptive. I used to be the same until I re-read an essay that I wrote in my senior year of college. I found that by taking out 21 nasties and subbing 9 well-thought descriptive adjitoives my paper would have hit the high 90s' instead of the high 80s'. Have made a point ever since to find descriptors rather than commonizing blasphmies. It don't affect my verbal skills howm-so-ebber. WW

- Thomas - 08-31-2003

..but duz nutheeng for your ******* tiepeeng skills...

- Botafogo - 09-01-2003

You choose the most effective phrase:

"beat the shit out of our suppliers for pricing"

"Pummel the feces out of our suppliers for pricing"

"Pugilate the excrement out of out suppliers for pricing"

We live in a world where the Federal government wants to restrict many forms of speech and media to what would be appropriate for a 6th grade Sunday school class so I choose to fight the power. Rat own, rat own my brother and remember to stick it to the Man.....

Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 09-01-2003).]

- winoweenie - 09-01-2003

I vote for " Pummel". WW

- Georgie - 09-01-2003

Either the pummel or pugilate line would be a wonderfully creative alternative! Nice work. I'd give you an A for that writing!

- quijote - 09-01-2003

"Pummel the poop" would be a nice alliterative alternative....

- Botafogo - 09-01-2003

AND make the speaker sound like a prep school poofster....which I am not.

Would you take such words out of Chris Rock or Richard Prior's acts? Would they be the same let alone better? Lenny Bruce died for our sins....

Roberto

- quijote - 09-01-2003

Pummel the poopster? What exactly IS a poofster, anyway?

In many other cultures, such as those of Spain and Portugal (and probably Brazil), people of all ages and backgrounds casually use words and phrases that, in North America, would scandalize many people. One of my favorites in Spanish is "de puta madre" (loosely rendered as, "whore-mother"). I still remember how, many years ago as a study-abroad student in Madrid, I was shocked that my landlady's son, when debating with her, would regularly say "coño" (slang for the female sex organ) to her face....

[This message has been edited by quijote (edited 09-01-2003).]