WineBoard
NY theater district restaurants - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: NY theater district restaurants (/thread-12531.html)

- Georgie - 10-05-2004

As some of you know, I am president of HH(Halloween Haters.) This year to avoid a Sunday afternoon and evening of ringing doorbell and barking dog, I am taking advantage of a school-sponsored bus trip to the city to see Dracula. I've heard nothing but terrible things about the show, but we p paid up last spring and we're going. It's a matinee and we'll arrive in the city early enough to have lunch/brunch. Any recommendations? There are six in my group. I'm hoping somebody there (maybe you, foodie) know of good place.

- Thomas - 10-05-2004

Pierre Au Tunnel is among the most interesting--old school French.

In general, the restaurants there are touristy, and I haven't frequented the neighborhood since it had been Dysneyfied.

- Georgie - 10-05-2004

Thanks foodie. I like how you described the area!

- wondersofwine - 10-05-2004

One I like is Le Madeleine (see www.lemadeleine.com) at 403 West 43rd St. (near 9th Avenue). It is like a French bistro with a garden room. Good food and nice selection of wines by the glass. (Wonderful desserts Georgie, if you want to splurge for your outing). Reservations necessary because they do a huge pre-theater business. I think they offer a special pre-theater menu or you can order a la carte. Quieter atmosphere at other times. They list as celebrities who have dined there Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward, Robert DeNiro, Sarah Jessica Parker, Barbara Walters, Starr Jones, etc.
I was going to try the one Foodie recommended (sounded fun) but I think they were closed on Sundays so I didn't get there.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 10-05-2004).]

- Botafogo - 10-05-2004

There used to be this great Greek place that made amazing cheeseburgers but the only thing they had to drink was Pepsi, Pepsi, Pepsi...

- Bucko - 10-05-2004

Scrooge! We'll egg your house while you're gone...

- Thomas - 10-05-2004

But didn't they serve cheeseboordegahs with that no Coke?

- Georgie - 10-06-2004

Ah, those were the days, when SNL was worth staying up for. Or maybe I was just younger and could manage to stay awake that long! Thanks for the restaurant info. Both menus look really nice and not too pricey.

- tandkvd - 10-06-2004

Georgie, just come on down to our house. We will be grillin hot dogs. I'll be sipping wine on the front porch. And for the trick or treeters my wife gives out the big candy bars. (that gets them going real good for there Teachers the next day) Last year we had around 300-400 visitors. Our neighborhood looks like something out of a movie.

We will turn you to the Dark Side.

- Georgie - 10-06-2004

Thirty years of grade school Halloween has taken all the fun out of Halloween at home. But one year, I did stay dressed in my witch costume (yes, I know how appropriate it was) and sat very still on my front porch next to the bowl of candy. When the kids came up the stairs I scared the bejeepers out of 'em! Now that was fun!

- DAnna - 10-06-2004

Mange e Bevi (sp?) 9th Ave and 53rd. Italian. very entertaining-people dance on the tables.

- wondersofwine - 10-06-2004

Once at the Post Library in Karlsruhe, Germany we had a staff member dressed as a witch stirring a big cauldron and another very petite staff member wrapped as a mummy. The "mummy" was behind a curtain and stepped out during story hour. One young child fled down the stairs from the second floor library and we had to catch him before he ran into the street.

- Georgie - 10-08-2004

I take it that the child has been in therapy ever since...

- wondersofwine - 10-08-2004

Undoubtedly.

- Kcwhippet - 10-08-2004

Probably resettled somewhere in NJ and is pumping out little brats to bedevil certain folks in the teaching profession.

- Georgie - 10-12-2004

I believe it.

- Kcwhippet - 10-12-2004

You can run, but you can't hide, Teach.