WineBoard
thesis - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: thesis (/thread-12530.html)

Pages: 1 2

- veenstra - 05-14-2000

Who is the author of the following remark:

"No nation is drunk, when wine is cheap"?

- Drew - 05-14-2000

Veenstra, I'm a little hesitant now to just give you the answer after a previous "Hard lesson learned" with your posting titled "Thesis", but I will tell you this much.....if you research the early American Presidents of independence notoriety....you might find what your looking for.

Drew

- Thomas - 05-15-2000

He wrote the phrase in a letter to a friend around the time of the revolution of a country where he once was ambassador.

Nice looking guy, with red hair under his wig. A good eye for architecture too.

- winecollector - 05-15-2000

These answers remind me of something from long ago....was it the riddle of the sphinx?

Looks like someone's still licking their wounds from the "Great Internet vs Library Debate" of last month! I sat that one out, though I must admit I enjoyed following what transpired on both sides of the "Great Debate." I think I'll sit this one out too, and see where you guys take this one!

I still crack-up at the thought of walking along to the library.... smelling the flowers along the way.... feeling the warm breeze against my face .... oops!!!.... tripping over someone laying in the gutter..... that was hilarious!

[This message has been edited by winecollector (edited 05-15-2000).]

- Drew - 05-15-2000

Right you are, Winecollecter, I have to have the dressings on my wounds changed twice weekly since that confrontation....the doctors say I'm doing well now thanks!

Drew

- mrdutton - 05-15-2000

ROTFLAMO (do you all know what that means? I ask because no one has asked.)

Gee, Drew, I didn't realize the wounds were that bad............

Didn't the guy who said that come from Virginia? He might have invented the dumbwaiter?

- Thomas - 05-16-2000

The guy who said it came from NY, and if he was at all sensitive he would get insulted like someone else did on this board. But he ain't sensitive--just uses common sense.

For those unable to understand metaphors and similes and all those writer's descriptors I'll say it plain: living a virtual life on the Internet does not come close to living the real thing, which means touching, feeling, smelling and even once in a while tasting good wine.

And Drew, if you did fall over a drunk and hurt yourself, welcome to the real world....

- winecollector - 05-16-2000

Hey guys- I have a suggestion for you. With all the questions this web site is getting from students asking for help with their school projects, why not create a new subject heading for them to use on the main page of the wine board? These kind of questions are likely bound to keep coming no matter how you feel about it. At least this way, they can be kept in one place, and hopefully not scattered all over the wine board.

At this time, I'd like to make a motion to nominate Bucko & Foodie as joint professors of the Wineboard University! All in favor....

Just one favor to ask- Do you think it's possible you guys could serve wine and cheese in detention?

Oh, and by the way Drew- Back in the old days, I believe it was common to pour whiskey over open wounds. I think my chianti might cause some unnecessary burning. Perhaps a cheap jug wine....

- Bucko - 05-16-2000

Hey now, using my name and Foodie's in the same breath! The horror of it all.......

Bucko

- Drew - 05-16-2000

Cheap jug wine, bite your tongue Winecollecter, I've been nursing my "wounds" with good finds and this boards recommendations of late. Tonight I popped a bottle of A-Mano,Italian, 1999 Primitivo..at $10 what a nice bottle of wound dressing, dark garnet, good body, up front zin like fruit with a good finish...tastes like a good zin without the oak. I highly recommend!
I do think it's a good idea to add a new subject heading...maybe call it "Wine University"

Drew

- winecollector - 05-17-2000

I'm a latecomer to the Primitivo seen. I bought my first one a couple months ago out of state for around the same price as yours, and also was pleased with it. I think it was either a 97' or a 98' "Cantele". I liked it more than most zin's I've had.

Yeah, I stand corrected, much better for wounds than cheap jug wine. But now what am I going to do with all these gallon jugs of Cribari I was going to send you?

- winecollector - 05-17-2000

Sorry Bucko. I didn't know I was going into forbidden territory!

- Thomas - 05-17-2000

You see everyone, I consistently take insults from Bucko but I don't complain--$%^*&(@#$.

That university idea--good I suppose, but it would need some thinking, I mean, some of us can't be trusted with young minds under our influence--you know who you are...

- Bucko - 05-17-2000

Didn't *T*om *J*ones sing that song?

I luv ya Foodie, but you still ain't getting my Bud Light........

Bucko

- Drew - 05-17-2000

Ok, Mrdutton, I'll bite, just what does
ROTFLAMO mean?

Drew

- winoweenie - 05-20-2000

Dad-burnit, this is what happens when you dissapearfor 3 weeks and come back on-line. Who said what?Where did they plant the body? Did Bucko actually ferment the gallon of persimmon juice? Did MrDutton get probation? What the heck`s happened? Winoweenie.

- mrdutton - 05-20-2000

I've searched the internet and I've been to the library and I've been to Barnes & Noble and looked through some of the books on quotations.

I've not found the answer.

Would someone be kind enough to e-mail it to me?

- winecollector - 05-20-2000

Winoweenie- As far as I can tell, it all started with the Great Library vs Internet debate. It was a messy site. Fortunatly for me, I was new to this site and smart enough to take cover. There were at least four casulties, maybe more! Go to "For the Novice," and then to the topic "Attention Wine History People." That should bring you up to speed. "Film at eleven."

But be very careful! Some of these guys are still carrying live ammunition! They're likely to shoot at anything that moves!

- hotwine - 05-20-2000

Nah, we don't practice "mad minutes" any more - too wasteful of good lead. We must now have positive target ID.

- Innkeeper - 05-20-2000

Well Winecollector certainly blew his cover, and left his you know what hanging out on the thread directly under this one. Heh! Heh! WITHSTAND lives on.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 05-20-2000).]