WineBoard
busted hand.... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: busted hand.... (/thread-12470.html)

- andrawes76 - 09-28-2009

im reading all the posts, but have'n a hard time posting. couple days ago i was tasting some wines and the glass broke. the stem of the glass went directly up my thumb an inch and a half so my typing is way slower. just know that I am reading, but not up to typing so much!

- Georgie - 09-28-2009

Must have been some powerful wine! Seriously, I hope you heal quickly!

- Kcwhippet - 09-28-2009

I've been doing this wine tasting thing for over 45 years and nothing like that has ever happened to me. How in the heck did that happen???

- winoweenie - 09-28-2009

Musta' been one whale of a wine to have grabbed PW like that. Seriously that is freakish. Hope you heal quickly and completely. WW

- TheEngineer - 09-28-2009

That sounds seriously painful! How da hell did it break like that?

Mike

- Thomas - 09-28-2009

Wow. I got a chill reading that "inch up my thumb."

Take care Alex.

- hotwine - 09-28-2009

Ouch! Sorry to hear that, PW. Hope it heals quickly. Assume you got medical attention, to ensure there were no glass fragments embedded in the wound.

- wondersofwine - 09-29-2009

Ouch! Here's to a quick healing.

- Innkeeper - 09-29-2009

Yikes! Makes me hesitant to pick up another wine glass!!! Get well soon.

- andrawes76 - 09-29-2009

It was complete lack of judgment on my part. i bought these wine glasses which are super thin glass. they had a really nice lip so i figured they looked classy. after trying an 03 Chardonnay (which was no doubt well beyond its prime), i rinsed the glass out and wafted it in the air to get the water out of the glass, my hand was on the stem when it cracked and the stem made its way up the top knuckle of my thumb, blood gushing out and immediately going numb. i physically pulled the glass out of my thumb and it was totally raunchy but again since my thumb was numb, i felt nothing until the doctor stitched it up sans any anesthetic. I'm a trooper though, only difference is that I'll be trying wines out of stemless glasses for a while until I get me wits back!

- TheEngineer - 09-29-2009

Mugs work too. I've always thought that the double walled (air in between) glass cups with handles would make a good tasting vessel. Safe and harder to drop than a stemmless (which I still have difficulty gripping...hoping not to shatter).

- Thomas - 09-29-2009

I've turned to sipping wine from a straw while it's in the bottle. Makes everything easier...next stop: i.v.

- TheEngineer - 09-29-2009

Foodie, that could be a helluva product! The VinoDrip IV aerator! Guaranteed to make wine fuller and better tasting!

- andrawes76 - 10-05-2009

IV aerator sounds interesting. Stitches out and back in service. 3000 emails behind schedule. Going to brew up some coffee and pull a couple all nighters to get back on track. Tasted a few wines over the weekend. Will report back!

- Georgie - 10-14-2009

This reminds me of a story a girlfriend of mine tells. Her grandmother had some very thin-walled antique wine glasses. For some reason, my friend, Karen, had always had the urge to BITE one because of how thin it was,so she did. Needless to say she got a mouthful of glass and a cut lip. I'm hoping that when she did it, she'd been imbibing a bit heavily. That at least might help to explain things!