WineBoard
Northeast storm - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Northeast storm (/thread-12463.html)

- Drew - 12-27-2010

Just checking in to see how the folks faired with this Christmas storm? We only got 2" and are warm and cozy.

Drew

- winoweenie - 12-27-2010

We be doing fine. Tankee fer askin'. WW

- Kcwhippet - 12-27-2010

Snow's about 10", but the winds are bad - sustained mid 20's with gusts to almost 50. Glad we don't live on the coast. At high tide this morning they had onshore winds gusting in the 80's with 20 foot seas. Lots of coastal flooding and erosion.

- Drew - 12-27-2010

Verne, the topic sez "Northeast Storm" not "Desert Rat smart alleky comments please".... [img]/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]
I heard Ocean City got 10+ inches. I'm trying to check on my place with some friends down there.

Drew

- Innkeeper - 12-27-2010

We've had heavy winds all night and morning, but very little accumulation. Maybe two or three more inches at best. Our plow guy did feel the need to plow!

- hotwine - 12-27-2010

Ho hum..... severely clear deep in the heart of God's Country.

- Innkeeper - 12-27-2010

According to the Weather Channel you folks in AZ and TX need to keep your heads down for a couple of days.

- Drew - 12-27-2010

Ignore him, IK, just another smart alikey heard from.....

Drew

- wondersofwine - 12-27-2010

I checked the weather for flying into Charlotte but neglected to check conditions in Fayetteville (which rarely gets snow.) Got to Fayetteville at 10:30 PM last night, an hour late, to find about eight inches of snow accumulated on my car in the airport parking lot. Almost fell about four times on my way to my car. After I found the car, under the snow, a young man (soldier?) helped me brush off enough snow to see to drive, and I cautiously made my way home. Also had to wait an hour for my checked suitcase. Three flights came in about the same time and they only had two baggage handlers. The others called in to say they couldn't get to work because of road conditions. So got in at 10:30 PM, got suitcase about 11:30, got my car brushed off about 11:50, and got home after midnight. Hadn't had any food or beverage in about the last eight hours so had a snack and got to bed at 1:30 AM. Fortunately, Fort Bragg announced that non-essential personnel could report in two hours later than usual so I was due at work at 10:00 AM rather than 8:00. Still, a short night. But worth it to have seen my sister, brother-in-law, three nephews, one nephew's wife and two children and another nephew's girlfriend. We ate lunch outdoors on Dec. 25th. Something we couldn't have done in North Carolina without freezing. Our Christmas dinner in the beach rental house was non-traditional--pulled pork and beef barbeque in sandwiches and a German potato salad I made. Jim brought back chocolate and chocolate chip ice cream as our dessert choices.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 12-28-2010).]

- Georgie - 12-28-2010

Well, i guess I win the award for the most snow. We got 2.5 feet. I am snowed in but good! Even the city/state plows and the front end loaders are stuck. We've been listening to the police scanner and we are in a bad way. Just now we are hearing of a roof collapse. Many emergency workers have had to carry their sick people by stretcher on foot to get them to the ambulance. People have been stranded in their cars for more than 12 hours. This is some serious, snow. We are safe and warm with plenty of food in the house, but not much wine, unfortunately,

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 12-28-2010).]

- Innkeeper - 12-28-2010

Sorry to hear that Teach. All the news reports indicate that NJ got hit the worst. We must not live in NH because our local news reports that everyone throughout the state got from 6 to 26 inches of snow. We got 3 the best we can figa. The wind was the worst part of the deal.

- Kcwhippet - 12-29-2010

Officially, we go 12.5", but the weirdest part of it is that there is still some grass showing in some places. That's all because of the wild wind. Bare grass in spots and 3 foot drifts in other spots. The wind pulled the cover off the grill out back and blew it across the yard.

- Georgie - 12-29-2010

Things are improving very slowly. Many roads in town have not yet been touched by a plow, and large sections of major highways are still closed. They had to use helicopters to rescue stranded motorists on RT. 18 because no vehicles could get to them. Holy smokes.

- winoweenie - 12-29-2010

Did youse ever think this may be the Big Guys hint that the grill is not in the hands of a competent Chef-er-ino????WW [img]/ubb/wink.gif[/img](HEHE}

- Innkeeper - 12-29-2010

KC what was the grill doing out there? We even got our smoker and storage box in last week. The grill has in for a month!

- Kcwhippet - 12-30-2010

We grill all year long. If there's no precipitation happening, I'm liable to be on the deck doing up some rib eyes, NY strips, beef ribs (Judy doesn't like pork ribs), chicken or just about anything. In fact, we have a small snow blower (Craftsman 2 hp) we keep next to the back door so I can clear a path to the grill after a snow storm. Judy got me this awesome grill for my birthday two years ago because we grill so much. It has 4 main burners, a searing burner, a rotisserie burner and - get this - AN OVEN.

- Innkeeper - 12-30-2010

And Bev was upset about me smoking the Thanksgiving turkey, saying it will never get done. When I insisted she wanted me to get one of those things you wrap around your water heater, and I insisted it wasn't necessary. The smoker did just fine thank you. We grilled year round in Omaha because we had a grill that ran off the city gas lines. Now we just use charcoal; so we put it up for the winter.

- Drew - 12-30-2010

We also grill/smoke year round and, like KC, keep a shovel close to the back door to create a path to the grill....priorities and all.

Drew

- TheEngineer - 12-30-2010

I just got home after a week away....... [img]/ubb/smile.gif[/img] glad we had good friends that helped us dig out before we got home.

- hotwine - 12-31-2010

The smoker's deck is only 60 feet or so from the back door, about half-way to the wine cellar. Can tipppy-toe out there barefoot if need be.