WineBoard
I'm back!!!!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: I'm back!!!!! (/thread-12446.html)

Pages: 1 2

- hotwine - 10-27-2005

Foodster, I've tried buffalo but found it lacking in the flavor dept., compared to grass-fed beef. It's super-lean, which I prefer, but dang it, it's just not beef.

Wonders, we can afford to eat our own beef, we just choose not to, so it can be available to market. There's a difference.

We've been buying a neighbor's beef at the local processor, and it's OK, just not as primo as our own. Still, it's a whole lot better than anything to be found in a local supermarket.

- hotwine - 10-27-2005

KC, I don't have your email address, or would send you some tidbits on diet. Basically, suggest you go through your fridge & pantry and throw out everything that has more than 1 gram of saturated fat and 8 grams of total fat. There are good substitutes now for virtually everything, such as:

Benecol for butter or margarine
1% milk for whole milk
whole grain bread for white bread
low-fat salad dressing for mayonnnaise
Splenda for sugar
olive oil for shortening
Eggbeaters for eggs
Turkey bacon for pork bacon

Try not to fry anything. Read labels and question everything.

I probably misspoke on the 4 oz twice per month for beef servings..... more like once per month, or even less.

What I miss the most is my Camels.... the little short suckers, that were so easy to field-strip with one hand. Nothing like 'em.

- Thomas - 10-27-2005

Hotwine,

you ate camels??? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- hotwine - 10-27-2005

Nope. Did chew a cigar now and then, though, when smoking (in the field) wasn't such a good idea.

- robr - 10-27-2005

HW, did you ever read To Kill a Mockingbird? The judge at the trial chewed cigars. The narrator (a seven year old girl) described how he would start with a whole cigar, and within about an hour or two the cigar would be a tiny stub, then he would spit out the undigested slimy mess. Quite a good description, I thought.

- Kcwhippet - 10-27-2005

Carl, You guys should have stoped in. I'm basically stuck here in the house until Monday, when I'm allowed to go back to work for a few hours to start.

Gil, Should be able to get the email address off the reply to Diane. If not, I'll get it to you.

"Benecol for butter or margarine" - Been using unsalted butter forever. Smart Promise was recced. Is Benecol similar?

"1% milk for whole milk" - We've only been drinking 2% for years, except for the half and half we use for our one cup of decaf of the day.

"whole grain bread for white bread" - Good choice. The cardiac rehab lady at the hospital also mentioned to get bread with at least 2% fiber.

"low-fat salad dressing for mayonnnaise" - Rarely use mayo, so that should be easy to do.

"Splenda for sugar" - If it tastes like sugar, I have no problem. Lady at hospital also mentioned stevia.

"olive oil for shortening" - Never use shortening. Always use EVOO, grapeseed or peanut oils.

"Eggbeaters for eggs" - I guess I'll have to try it.

"Turkey bacon for pork bacon" - Tried it before. Yuck! I'd rather do without.

- hotwine - 10-28-2005

KC, the main point I want to make is to read the labels on ALL of the foods you consume. Don't take anything for granted.

- Kcwhippet - 10-28-2005

Yeah, I know, HW. We've been eating sort of semi-healthy for awhile. We were doing it while we were taking care of Judy's mom for a few years, and still sort of check the labels, particularly for high sodium. I guess one of our problems is fat - sure do like it. There's nothing like a nice big grilled rib eye with garlic mashed potatoes (made with 1/2 & 1/2 and lots of butter). That's one dinner off the menu now. Anyway, I know I can make some really great meals using low-fat, low-sodium, low-cholesterol ingredients. All it takes is using the right ingredients and judicious use of herbs and spices to add good flavors; and of course a large part of that equation is garlic, wine and olive oil. We can do that.

- winoweenie - 10-28-2005

The very minuet I goes outta' town you pick to get stentified! Glad all came out well Bob ole' buddy. I'll give you a call Sat Morning.

Bern. I've been on the South Beach for over a year...Lost 40 lbs of tummy and now am on
maintenence and consume a bottle of wine daily at lunch. Will vary 1 to 1&1/2 lbs when slipping or with the exta hottle with dinner occassionally. Walk 3 miles every morning. All systems go with total cloresterol of 170 with 110 of that the good stuff. Easy lifestyle for CB and myself. WW

- robr - 10-28-2005

Garlic is GREAT! Especially raw -- beneficial to the heart and blood vessels. We got a turbo-charged garlic press and add it to salads. Olive oil and wine are also good, in moderation.

Benecol for butter or margarine" - Been using unsalted butter forever. Smart Promise was recced. Is Benecol similar?

Try Smart Balance. It's very tasty, no hydrogenated oils.

"1% milk for whole milk" - We've only been drinking 2% for years, except for the half and half we use for our one cup of decaf of the day.

I don't use real milk at all any more, just Silk soy milk. You can even cook with it!

"whole grain bread for white bread" - Good choice. The cardiac rehab lady at the hospital also mentioned to get bread with at least 2% fiber.

FIBER! FIBER! FIBER!

"low-fat salad dressing for mayonnnaise" - Rarely use mayo, so that should be easy to do.

If you like Oriental flavors, try the Newmans Own Oriental. It makes a good marianade for chicken or steak too.

"Splenda for sugar" - If it tastes like sugar, I have no problem. Lady at hospital also mentioned stevia.

Stevia is an herbal plant extract and hard to get. Splenda is good too, it's made from sugar alcohols. It's not as sweet as real sugar, or Sweet and Low, or Equal, but it's more naturally derived.

"olive oil for shortening" - Never use shortening. Always use EVOO, grapeseed or peanut oils.

Grapeseed oil is supposed to be really good for you, as is flaxseed oil. Lots of Omega-3 fatty acids, same as cold water salt fish.

"Eggbeaters for eggs" - I guess I'll have to try it.

I don't like the taste. I eat real eggs, but remove the yolks; for example, three or four whites with one yolk in scramblers is pretty good. The cholesterol is all in the yolk.

"Turkey bacon for pork bacon" - Tried it before. Yuck! I'd rather do without.

Sorry, can't help you there. I like it, if it's Louis Rich. How about Canadian bacon?

- Drew - 10-29-2005

KC, I've always suffered from moderately high cholesteral, Cardiologist sez genes. For many years now we consume skim milk, oats and other fibers, I take fish oil caps, use egg whites for scramblers or omlets when in the mood, exercize average three days a week, consume red meat only 1-2 times a month and that is generally a filet mignon (very lean), visit a fast food chain restaurant 1-2 times a YEAR! (really bad stuff in there), try to eat a salad for lunch with a miniscule of dressing at least 3 times a week and I READ labels. Now I do all this and I still fight the numbers but I don't make them worse. I have a 75%blockage in my M1-A artery, is that the right descript Bucko? Doctors say it started when a drug dealer crushed my chest after an undercover buy. I got knocked down and stomped on which tore the 3rd left rib from the sternum and struck the top of the heart injuring this artery...that's where the blockage is and I have it checked regularly. Do I miss all the fat laden tasties from years and years ago, not really, and whole milk now gags me. Also you'll find that after years of eating better that the rich foods won't agree with your system, if ya know what I mean [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]. It's an adventure but not necessarily a bad one. Thinking about ya pal.

Drew

- Bucko - 10-29-2005

Don't know what you are talking about unless you mean a marginal branch.

- Drew - 10-29-2005

I was given a diagram years ago,'88, and the vein, artery, branch was located on top of the heart. Don't know if I can put my hands on that diagram again.

Drew

- californiagirl - 10-29-2005

KC, there's nothing wrong with a steak and garlic mashed potatoes meal... just only 1-2 times a month. And find a way to alter your potatoes. I make mine with (don't gag) ff sour cream, small amount 2% milk (NF milk or ff 1/2&1/2 when I have it), Brummel & Brown margarine (made w/yogurt), and sometimes even ICBINB spray. Spice it up w/salt, pepper and garlic... no one knows the difference. Not even dh or his fam.

Mayo, I keep ff Kraft around. Very good. Margarine, like I said about, Brummel & Brown and ICBINB spray. Sour Cream is the ff kind in the cow print tub. I even use Harry & David sugar-free jams. As far as eggs go, try using mostly egg whites. Most people can't stomach the egg-beaters.

- californiagirl - 10-29-2005

Splenda- well, I know we've discussed this b/4 about Marinara sauces. I use it in everything.

Nothing better than EVOO- don't bother switching!!

Fiber- read the packages. You'll find that WW brand products up the fiber and protein content. I know you like Kashi brand. Search out their bars. Some good fiber/protein content, some not so good. Orowheat has some good choices for breads.

Dannon or Yoplait make a decent yogurt, I believe it's called "Fit n Fiber".

Funny, how being on WW has helped learn these things=)

- hotwine - 10-29-2005

Good grief, Drew, you're lucky to be here after that encounter! Hope the dealer is still making little rocks out of big ones (or pushing up weeds).

- Drew - 10-30-2005

Well he got 6 years but only did three and how did I find out? My wife and I, with friends from Boston, were in the "Horse you came in on" tavern in Baltimore's historic Fells Point one Thanksgiving Eve and I saw him in the crowd. He was so trashed that he looked at me and right thru me, never recognized me...we had to leave for fear that I might do something stupid and loose my job.

Drew