WineBoard
I'm back!!!!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: I'm back!!!!! (/thread-12446.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Kcwhippet - 10-26-2005

Had a bit of a health problem that put me in the hospital this past Sunday afternoon. It required the placement of three stents to restore proper blood flow, and prognosis is 100% recovery. Briefly discussed future lifestyle changes with two docs and both agreed that regular exercise and Foodie's book, Garlic, Wine and Olive Oil, are definitely the way to go. I just got back home and all is well.

- Drew - 10-26-2005

Very glad you're doing well, KC.

Drew

- Bucko - 10-26-2005

So Mr. Cholesterol came for a visit, eh? Glad you got it before permanent heart muscle damage was done.

- hotwine - 10-26-2005

Welcome back, KC. I went through that sort of thing in '90-'91 and will vouch for it being survivable (thus far). Good wake-up call on the diet and exercise.

- robr - 10-26-2005

Personally, I'm finding the South Beach diet to be the way to go. You can have nuts, lean meat, vegetables, and salad, and one glass of wine (I usually have two!) and still lose weight. Just cut out the desserts and starches.

I have lost 10 lbs, but I know people that have lost 40 to 70 lbs, very slowly, but without much "starvation". Try it!

- Thomas - 10-26-2005

KC, for what it's worth, I got my ldl down from 185 to 140 and my total cholesterol down from 255 to 220 in 90 days by reducing meat intake, exercising and adding psyllium husk tablets to my diet.

The psyllium is the stuff that goes into metamucil. In studies, it has been found to help reduce cholesterol by as much as 8-10%. As it acts to sweep away bile, it also sweeps away fats, etc.

Look it up online.

- Bucko - 10-26-2005

FIBER — Limiting intakes of saturated and transunsaturated fatty acids requires the substitution of other nutrients, unless there is a concomitant need to reduce energy intake as well. Substitution of carbohydrate leads to reduction in LDL-C, but in the absence of weight loss, extremely high proportion of carbohydrates (>60 percent of energy) can elevate triglycerides levels and lower HDL-C [68,69]. Such changes are lessened with the incorporation of greater amounts of fiber, in which carbohydrate is derived from unprocessed whole foods [70]. Certain soluble fibers (psyllium, pectin, guar gum, and oat products) will reduce LDL. In a recent meta-analysis, every gram increase in soluble fiber reduced LDL-C by an average of 2.2 mg/dL (0.057 mmol/L); this effect was similar with various soluble fibers [71].

- robr - 10-26-2005

Yes! The textbook definition above is correct. Increasing fiber is very important. I have also increased my fiber intake with Citrucel, oat bran, oat meal, and All Bran cereal (not all at the same time!)

Fiber sweeps away fat through the intestines.

- californiagirl - 10-26-2005

I am more thankful than words can say! I've sent KC a few mags that will help in the food dept, (my fav and use them frequently!!), and of course pics of his grandkids that love him so. =)

- californiagirl - 10-26-2005

Rob, fwiw, I hate to say it... but SB Diet isn't all it's cracked up to be for everyone. As long as it's a permanent lifestyle change, that's great for you! I tried that diet 1 1/2 years ago. Lost 15lbs. As soon as the remotest amount of carbs, and normal life was reintroduced, not only did I gain it all back, but it was centralized in mid-section and back. I'm not large at all... but I've learned the hard way. I'm about 2 lbs less than where I started. I can definitely say that I wish I'd never gone on the SB Diet at all.

- TheEngineer - 10-26-2005

KC,

Glad to hear that you are doing well!

- Kcwhippet - 10-27-2005

Feeling really great now. Had a great night's sleep; had a cup of decaf, a bowl of Kashi Heart to Heart oatmeal and a quarter of a cantaloupe for breakfast - along with a ton of pills. Unfortunately, the really nice prosciutto I got last week to go with the cantaloupe is sort of off limits right now. I'm not supposed to go to work until next week and that includes working at the wine shop. However, I did get a concession from the doc that I could go into the shop this Saturday since it's our annual grand tasting, but only as a customer. Judy said she'd make sure I don't do any work related type stuff there or at home, since I'm limited to lifting a max of 10 lbs until further notice. Got to sign up for rehab sessions three time a week to learn about my body, diet and exercise. Cholesterol is already way down thanks to Lipitor (went from total 250 to 135), but that was started less than a year ago and that doesn't undo a lifetime of eating any damn thing I wanted. LDL is in control, but they told me HDL should be increased. Lipitor dosage has been quadrupled along with some additional meds. As for Foodie's book, I actually did mention it to the doctors and they both said it sounded a lot like a Mediterranean style diet and they both heartily (no pun intended) endorse it. They have no qualms at all about wine being a big part of the diet, so that's a good thing. Hotsy, how much red meat is part of your current diet? All things considered, I'm feeling great and I'm looking forward to life. It's been a very sobering experience.

- wondersofwine - 10-27-2005

Glad you are doing well KC! Do you know if the stents are from Guidant? My oldest nephew worked for Guidant for some years after leaving the Navy. Now he is working fulltime as a mortgage broker in San Diego.
I was considering trying the South Beach diet but may enter Weight Watchers instead. One of my local friends goes to Wednesday sessions. She used Weight Watchers to lose weight prior to her daughter's wedding and now wants to drop some more pounds.
I like the meals on the Jenny Craig program (although it gets rather expensive) and lost 31 pounds on it while in Monterey but they don't have an office in Fayetteville.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 10-27-2005).]

- Kcwhippet - 10-27-2005

Stents are from Cordis, a Johnson & Johnson company. They're called the CYPHER Sirolimus-eluting Coronary Stent. I've read the literature and pamphlet at the hospital, and they're supposed to be sort of the latest thing. They're drug coated to help prevent re-narrowing. Bucko can explain it better than I can.

- hotwine - 10-27-2005

We eat very little red meat now, KC. We're so spoiled by our own beef that local stuff just doesn't cut it, yet the price at auction of our own critters is so high it doesn't make sense to slaughter for family consumption. So a greatly reduced red meat intake is logical for both health and economic reasons. We probably have beef only twice per month, and then have very small portions, maybe 4 oz each.

- wondersofwine - 10-27-2005

There we go again. Lobster fishermen can't afford to eat the lobster they catch, Merry Edwards's husband told me they really drink her wines because it would consume their profits, and a cattle farmer?rancher? can't afford to eat the cattle he raises. It's a funny world. At least amateur gardeners can eat the zucchini or tomatoes or squash they grow.

- robr - 10-27-2005

CG, the SB, like any diet, isn't for everyone. The thing about it is this, once you start it, you have to stick with it long enough for it to be a lifestyle change. That's pretty much the way it is for most diets, which is why I dislike using the word, since it implies a temporary state of food restriction. I know people who yo-yo on all kinds of diets, including Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig, because they only stay on the "diet" long enough to loose a little weight, then they go right back to eating whatever they want, and the weight comes right back on as fast as it went away. It's something that about 90% of us struggle with as we get older because we are not as physically active as we once were.

If I walked, ran, lifted weights, and swam laps every day, like I did when I was in my teens and twenties and early thirties, then I don't believe I would have this problem with my weight and cholesterol and blood sugar, but I don't do all those things anymore. Instead, I work two jobs and get so stressed out and exhausted that all I want to do when I'm not working is sit and watch tv, nap, eat, and drink good wine.

Anybody else like me out there?

If not, you are probably either in a nearly stress-free enjoyable job, living with a spouse who makes you extremely happy most of the time, or retired. I am not, hence the stress, which leads to weight gain, and premature aging.

Sorry, I think I was venting a bit!!!

[This message has been edited by bernkastler (edited 10-27-2005).]

- Thomas - 10-27-2005

bernkastler, you kn ow what you have to do--just do it [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

I walk about six miles every day; work hard in the garden and around the property; eat meat sparingly; and always keep my wits about until after 7 pm--then all Hell breaks loose in the wine department...

Hotwine, have you any comment about buffalo meat? I've been getting ground buffalo--nice and lean and quite tasty. I mix some low salt soy sauce, plain breadcrumbs, crushed garlic and cushed black pepper to make burgers for a Saturday lunch.

- dananne - 10-27-2005

KC -- Anne and I are happy to hear you're feeling better, and our best wishes for your health in future.

- Innkeeper - 10-27-2005

Glad all is OK KC. We were thinking about you guys as we rolled up 290 tonight. Got that feeling something may be amiss.