WineBoard
Fri. 13th Night of Horrors! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Fri. 13th Night of Horrors! (/thread-12435.html)

- dananne - 09-14-2002

With wife home from business trip and the start of a weekend, we decided to open a bit more anticipated wine last night. So, I pulled out a Lebanese Chateau Musar 1989. Corked! A bit frustrated, I pulled out a Musar 1994 (bought from a different store). Corked also! Becoming downright angry at this point, brought out the other 1994 and it too was corked! All three corks were moldy and/or displayed pretty significant seepage.

For those wondering, I store in a temp controlled 220 bottle cellar at 57 degrees with 70% humidity. Open bottles daily, and have not encountered a problem like this before, so I'm doubting it was the unit. Overall, looking back over tasting records, I've encountered cork problems in about 4 or 5 of my last 100 bottles opened (before last night).

Finally, pulled out a 1989 Marques de Murrieta Castello Ygay Gran Reserva. Despite showing a bit of cork problems, also, at this point I just decanted and hoped for the best. Seemed a bit over sweet and disjointed with woody taste.

All in all, opened over $100 of wine and had a pretty awful night.

Hoping for the best this evening . . .

By the way, from your experiences, what are usual store policies regarding corked bottles? Exchange? Sorry, out-of-luck? I've never gone back to a store before, but am thinking that they may want to know, as the two '94s almost certainly came from the same shipment.

[This message has been edited by dananne (edited 09-14-2002).]

- Innkeeper - 09-14-2002

Bring 'em back dead (versus alive).

- dananne - 09-16-2002

As an update, I returned the bottles to the shop where I purchased them. I received a store credit for the two I hadn't dumped down the sink in disgust and a nice little 6-bottle wood storage box was thrown in that I'll use for decoration. It helps to actually KNOW your wine guy, even if only by face and name. Repurchased another of the 1994 Musar and had it on Sat. night -- no problems. Very interesting wine, though. Tasted of cherries, red currants, and red spices, with maybe a cinnamon stick tossed in for good measure. Not a typical wine, but enjoyable.

- winoweenie - 09-17-2002

Hi dannane. I was a terrific fan of Serges' wines until the mid 80s'. Something happened and I don't really know what but his were wines of beauty and complexity then started gettin' funky and nasty like he was taking lessons from some of the bad Burgandy producers. His 59 still ranks in my top 10. WW

- dananne - 09-17-2002

Interesting you should say that the wines started to decline in the '80s. I met 2 Lebanese guys in a wine store about a week ago. They said that Hochar began to have problems with his supplier of cork at that time, and his wines have had a spotty record ever since (I should have heard the foreboding music as I planned my Friday evening). They say that the problem has been cleared up, but I haven't had the opportunity to try anything but the '94 for a reference. Also, can't vouch for their facts, but thought I'd pass along that tidbit.