WineBoard
Wine Library - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Wine Library (/thread-12432.html)

- Innkeeper - 02-12-2006

Well, we found some of it this morning. That's better than nothing, but still not completely satisfying.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 02-12-2006).]

- robr - 02-12-2006

Huh?

- Innkeeper - 02-12-2006

What don't you understand about the term: Wine Library? Incidentally, found seven more books; and now only four are missing.

- robr - 02-12-2006

Ah, now i understand, since you went back and edited your first post. I actually have a total of three books in my wine library.

Since I know you are burning up to know what they are, I'll tell you.

1. The World Atlas of Wine - Hugh Johnson and Jancis Robinson

2. The World Encyclopdia of Wine - Stuart Walton

3. Oz Clarke's New Essential Wine Book

Of the three I find the Atlas the most interesting and informative, but for readability, Oz Clarke is the most entertaining.

Any recommendations? I feel I need to get something more indepth and specific, as these are very broad. I'm really interested in the French, of course.

- Innkeeper - 02-12-2006

Found:

Vineyards & Wineries of America – Patrick W. Fegan
Wine & the Bottom Line – Nat. Rest. Assoc. Edmund Osterland
Essential Wine Tasting – Michael Shuster
Great Wine Made Simple – Andrea Immer
Great Tastes Made Simple – Andrea Immer
Wine Buying Guide for Everyone – Andrea Immer
Pocket Encyclopedia of Wine 1998 – Hugh Johnson
The Wine Avenger – Willie Gluckstern
Concise Wine Companion – Jancis Robinson
101 Essential Tips: Wine – Tom Stevenson
Wine Report 2004 – Tom Stevenson
Wine Report 2005 – Tom Stevenson
Windows on the World Complete Wine Course 1998 – Kevin Zraly
Bacchus & Me (Adventures in the Wine Cellar) – Jay McInerney
Garlic, Wine and Olive Oil (Historic Anecdotes and Recipes) – Thomas Pellichia
The Wine Lover’s Cookbook – Sid Goldstein
Wine & Spirits 2000 Special Issue (Wine Style) – The Editors
Wine & Spirits 2001 Special Issue (The Insider’s Guide to Value) – The Editors

Missing:

2004 Wine Buying Guide of Everyone – Andrea Immer
Italian Wine for Dummies – Ewing-Mulligan & McCarthy
East Coast Wineries Complete Guide from Maine to Virginia – Carlo De Vito
The Wines and Landscapes of Spain – Jeremy Watson

- Innkeeper - 02-12-2006

Look for Wine Report 2006 by Tom. He is an occasional particpant on this Board. His specialty is Champagne, but edits an excellent World Wide Guide for three years now.

- robr - 02-12-2006

I will definitely look for that. I see you have no books by Parker.

- Innkeeper - 02-12-2006

Not a fan.

- hotwine - 02-12-2006

BK, look for the Larousse Encyclopedia of Wine. May have to order it from Amazon or B&N. Recall that it runs about $40. The best IMHO.

- wondersofwine - 02-13-2006

"French Wines" by Robert Joseph was an impulse buy for me last time I was in Barnes and Noble. It's pretty good and covers (briefly) wines from obscure regions like Touraine. I had bought a white wine from Touraine and really didn't know much about what to expect. Pretty well organized too.

Cote d'Or by Clive Coates is THE comprehensive book on Burgundy. Of course, the vintages described are not the ones currently being released but it gives you background on the domaines, appellations, vineyard methods, etc., etc. and specifics about a lot of tastings.

I'm on the quest for a recent and fairly thorough book on German wines.

- Innkeeper - 02-13-2006

WOW, the annual Wine Reports that Tom Stevenson edits are very comprehensible for all regions including Germany, where the author has been Michael Schmidt. Each author goes into great detail about current events, harvests, producers, and wines. Currancy is local. This is not a problems when that is Euros, but gets squirrely when you get into South African "Ds!"

- wondersofwine - 02-13-2006

Thanks, IK. I may see about getting that.

- Innkeeper - 02-14-2006

Found the remainder this afternoon. They were all together on a shelf in Maine, and were packed into six different cartons. This last one was labeled "papers." Don't you just love movers?

Back to recommendations: In addition to Tom Stevenson's annual "Wine Report", would also recommend Andrea Immer's "Wine Buying Guide for Everyone." She lists the best selling wines in the U.S. (from around the world), and has what she calls "Kitchen Countertop Survival Guide" for reds, and "Kitchen Fridge Survival Guide" for whites. This is a great help for those who don't consume a whole bottle at a time.

Have looked at and even bought annual guides from many others including Hugh Johnson, etc. I think these two are the best one, two punch you can get. And you can get both of the '06 versions from Amazon for $25, and get free shipping for your efforts.

- shewelch - 02-14-2006

I have to second the recommendation for Andrea Immer's guides... They come in a lovely vertical form factor for flipping through easily and they language is very straight forward. As for the shelf life ratings, I am not sure what leftover wine is... and not because I make wine cubes in ice trays like Martha Stewart recommends...

I have been less than enthused about my wine enthusiast 2006 mobile wine guide for my treo 650... the best buys and editor's choices seem a bit obscure for some reason. Maybe I just prefer the best sellers since I am pretty mainstream?

[This message has been edited by shewelch (edited 02-14-2006).]