WineBoard
More consolidation..... another merger/buy-out - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: More consolidation..... another merger/buy-out (/thread-12425.html)

- mrdutton - 04-27-2001

I just got an e-mail notice that wine.com is no more.

They are ceasing operation and have been taken over by another ....... "established and leading online wine retailer with an excellent reputation for quality and reliability" .......

That other wine retailer is none other than eVineyard.com.

So much for what used to be a good thing. At least eVineyard.com is allowed to do business in Virginia, so I can continue to order from them...... maybe ........ if they carry what I like.

- Botafogo - 04-27-2001

If they got taken over then why did we just finish unloading a TRUCKLOAD of wines from the "liquidation" sale of Wine.com??? We were given our pick of more than ten thousand cases of over a thousand labels, we took mostly Champagne (but could not resist taking a bunch of Brunello imported by the Darkside so we could sell it for less than their wholesale!) and will be passing along the SIGNIFICANT savings to consumers....

Roberto

- winoweenie - 04-28-2001

Bottom feeder.... oh the shame of it. WW

- Thomas - 04-28-2001

That's it: Bota (bottom) fogo (feeder). I shooda known!

Nobody sent me a list.

How'd you make out in Verona, Roberto? I did fine, and I was quite pleased with the B & B 25 km south of Verona--got lost only once, after quite a late dinner with AV Imports.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 04-28-2001).]

- Innkeeper - 04-29-2001

If all the above isn't bad enough, wine-com would ship to me; eVineyard won't!!!

- mrdutton - 04-29-2001

Roberto, I can't answer your question.

I might surmise that eVineyard bought the name, but wine.com had to get rid of the inventory!?!??

Wine.com sent an E-mail to all their customers stating:

wine.com, Inc. (the corporation) is ceasing operations and the wine.com website is being transferred to an established and leading online wine retailer with an excellent reputation for quality and reliability. We are confident you will enjoy their selection and service and hope that you will continue to visit the wine.com website once under new management.

The purchaser of wine.com has committed itself to all of the protections established in the current wine.com privacy policy and will continue to safeguard the information you provided to us.

Once again, thank you for your business and loyalty.

Just thougth you'd like to know the whole story.....

- Botafogo - 04-29-2001

Translation: We just violated your privacy by SELLING your info to a new company as our creditors came and liquidated all the inventory and we were f*#ked.......

Yet another reason why I rarely shop on-line, and encourage all of those who want to order from us to actually call us with their info which we DO NOT give out.

Roberto

PS, Foodie, we found it a lot harder to find really Italian Italian wine this year and had to really get out in the sticks where the farmers have never heard of Ricardo Cotarella or Leonardo Locasio, BUT we took about two containers of yummies....