WineBoard
Valentine's Day plans? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Valentine's Day plans? (/thread-12407.html)

- Georgie - 02-14-2005

Anyone planning something special? My guy keeps saying he has something planned but won't tell me what it is. (Why do I think that means he hasn't figured anything out yet??) Truth is,we are both down with snarffly colds and will probably spend the night wrestling each other for the last tissue. C'est la vie.

- Innkeeper - 02-14-2005

We are going to have Stuffed Green Peppers in the Tuscan Style (recipe around here someplace), salad in freshly made blue cheese dressing, and 1998 Mendocino Hill Cabernet Sauvignon. For dessert I'm making Julia Child's Queen of Sheba Cake in a heart shaped pan.

- hotwine - 02-14-2005

Sorry to hear about the cold, girl. Tell your guy to save the last tissue for you and to wipe his nose on his shirtsleeve like a real man.

We kind of had our V-day dinner last night... grilled NY strips covered in a Port reduction (diced shallots, Dijon mustard, dunno what else, but mighty nice), with asparagus and baked spuds, paired with an '01 Carruades de Lafite. Tonight we're to have potroast that she made ahead yesterday. Dunno 'bout the vino or sides yet.

- Kcwhippet - 02-14-2005

Gosh, the wrestling part sounds fun. Sorry about the cold, but on the upside, you can probably infect a few of the little imps that have more than likely infected you at least a few times in the past. As for us, I'm grilling up some strip steaks with baked potatoes and some hedonistic Cab that will meet with WW's approval (I'll let you know tomorrow which we chose).

- Botafogo - 02-14-2005

Well, since my namarada lives six time zones and 13,000 km away, we had a nice chat at 6AM this morning and then I came to work to sell Champagne, Champagne, Champagne, Champagne, Champagne, Champagne, Champagne, Champagne, Champagne, Champagne, Champagne, Champagne, Champagne, Champagne, Champagne, Champagne, Champagne, Champagne, Champagne, Champagne, and some more Champagne!

We did a Grand Cru Fizz tasting with Slow Food on Saturday night and a lot of folks discovered the real stuff so it is fun...

Cheers, Roberto

- winoweenie - 02-14-2005

Taking my lovely CB and my 3rd eldest daughter and her hubby to Basis for a Prix Fix evening. This is the chef who sold Convivo and is staying here unitl June when his new Jernt in Boston is ready to start getting ready to open. Will report tomorrow. WW

- dananne - 02-14-2005

Anne and I just finished installing (by our very own selves) a new kitchen floor (cork) and a subfloor, for good measure. So, we're laying low on the food front with a pre-prepared goat cheese pizza from Whole Foods, but we'll celebrate tonight with a 1995 Pommard Rugiens 1er Cru Burgundy from Pillot. We were married in '95, hence the significance.

- winoweenie - 02-15-2005

Great evening! Wont post the whole menu, just our choices. For appetizers 3 of us had Seared Sea Scallops and Jumbo Prawns served over citrus cous cous, kiwi midori sauce and mango salsa...Wonderful. One had the Lobster and roasted corn Tamale with sweet red chili sauce,avacado salsa, and pico de gallo. The soup was Lobster Bisque with sauteed rock shrimp relish...Delicious. Cb and daughter had Seared Calif Halibut with fennel red chili rice, tomato lemongrass broth, VeraCruz style, son-in-law had Rack of Lamb with fresh herb oven roasted potatoes, olive oil roaasted brussel sprouts, served with a mesquite honey-stoneground mustard cream sauce, and my entree was quite possibly the best Osso Bucco I've had served with white cheddar whipped potatoes, fresh roasted beets and gremolata. The dessert was a chocolate heart filled with hazelnut Frangelico Mousse drizzeled with a passion fruit-raspberry sauce. Went thru a bottle of Perrier-Jouet Brut, Rombauer Carneros Chard for CB, and 3 bottles of ZD 2001 Cab. Fun time was had by all and the girls looked MARVELOUS. WW

- hotwine - 02-15-2005

She kinda sandbagged me.... had expected potroast and popped an '03 Waterbrook Melange for that, and she served leftover NY strip instead. The wine was OK but would have preferred more Cab in the blend for the steak. But that sauce she had whipped up was fantastic! In addition to the Dijon & shallots, it has beef broth and Lea & Perrins, and about 1/3 cup of Port ('99 Taylor-Fladgate LBV in this case.... don't bother, as mentioned before, unless you need a Port for cooking). Dessert was a pumpkin something-or-other she had whipped up. Nice dinner, went to bed early for our 0530 workout this AM. Yee-ha!

- winedope1 - 02-15-2005

Sorry about the sniffles, Georgie. Ah well, on my own for Vday- except for a bottle of Pine Ridge Cab. My hunny was away. Will celebrate this weekend. He did send a dozen long stems to work for me though. WD

- Bucko - 02-15-2005

Woopdeedoo --we were both on call and beat. It was leftovers, a quick French lesson with our tutor, a 97 Pichon Lalande (ready to drink) then sleepy time. Poor baby, poor baby....

I have this French down cold -- Bon Jovi mon sewer. Perry Como talle view? Pretty snappy, eh? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- winedope1 - 02-16-2005

smooth, Bucko, real smoooooth!

- winoweenie - 02-16-2005

Whaz the difference between a French cold and a good ole' USofA cold???WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Georgie - 02-16-2005

I guess I must have the French variety since I am sounding quite nasal! My dearest gave me a beautiful card and a lovely gift and we will go out for a nice dinner on Saturday. Maybe by then I'll be able to taste something.

- wondersofwine - 02-16-2005

Here's hoping you mend soon, Georgie.
Bucko, my sister's father-in-law used to say he could speak French--then he would say "Chevrolet coupe'".

- PinotEnvy - 02-16-2005

I am more in the category of Frank Drebin (Police Squad/Naken Gun)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quentin Hapsburg: You do speak French don't you?
Lt. Frank Drebin: Unfortunately no, but I do kiss that way.

- Drew - 02-17-2005

You are one, smooth, snappy chap there Bucko. Try the "Je T'adore" move on your lovely and move quickly when she tells you to..."Shut it yourself!" [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Drew