WineBoard
The Wine Clip - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: The Wine Clip (/thread-12390.html)

- Thomas - 01-29-2004

One day last week a salesman for the Wine Clip (that magnet thing that makes all wine a 100 pointer) leaves a brochure at the store and walks off with my card.

A few days ago he calls for an appointment. I tell my telephone interceptor that I am not interested. He tells the salesman what I said; then, I hear my staff member ask: "What does that have to do with it?," followed by, "Just send us an email and we will respond."

"What was that about?," I ask.

"After I told the salesman you were not interested in the Wine Clip he asked if you were interested in selling him ten cases of wine."

That afternoon I receive an email from the guy telling me he wants to order ten cases of wine for a convention he is attending where he will demonstrate the Wine Clip. He says he would like to meet with me to sample a red wine that I select, at which time he will prove to me the Wine Clip works, and then he will buy ten cases of the wine, after I order just a few dozen Clips from him.

I email back the following: "Thanks for your interest in is-wine. Just select the wine you want off our Web site, phone us and have your credit card ready; we will deliver the ten cases."

I figured he'd go away--no way.

He emails back that he'd rather place the order in person.

I email back: "Well, you have forced me into telling you what I think. Your Wine Clip is a useless piece of equipment and your ten case carrot is a despicable sales method."

He did not fully give up. He emailed to tell me that science has yet to determine the true value of the Wine Clip and that he really would have bought ten cases of wine had I been nicer.

I should publish these escapades...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-29-2004).]

- wineguruchgo - 01-29-2004

I had to find it on the internet because I've never seen or heard about it here in Chicago.

Now, I'm not a chemist but I have to say for $50.00 per clip, it's a bunch of hooey!

If I want to enhance my wine, I'll use Riedel, thank you.

Good for you. I wouldn't have bought it either.

- Thomas - 01-29-2004

From what I understand, the thing is a simple magnet that attracts ions in tannins, separating certain ions and thereby making the tannins seem softer. I have two problems with the idea:

1. remove the clip and the ions go back to where they came from, making it a temporary, if not completely dubious, "benefit."

2. instead of adding a stupid magnet to your wine, why not drink a mature wine that has naturally softened its tannins?

The magnet is likely the result of some chemist or physicist who consumed too many over-extracted reds and so he sought a way to make them drinkable...

- Kcwhippet - 01-29-2004

Not another one of these deals. This is the third or fourth variation of this scam in the past few years. I had a go around with a guy named Doug Dubin about four years ago when he was pushing the Perfect Sommelier. He made all these outlandish claims and couldn't come up with anything to back them up. He just wanted me to believe him on faith alone. Long story short, he had convinced someone locally that this was the greatest thing to happen to wine since yeast and arranged to have me go into the guys shop to have the thing proved to me. I brought in a Bonny Doon Heart of Darkness for the guy to try the device on. After half an hour, the tannins were still going strong, and the guy said he couldn't understand what was happening because he was sure the thing worked before.

- wineguruchgo - 01-30-2004

Foodie,

I just re-read your orignial post. A few dozen clips in exchange for 10 cases? Was he buying Opus? Jeez! Sounds to me like you would lose money on that deal.

Ummm...no thanks.

- sedhed - 01-31-2004

Could I use the magnets I stick on my refrigerator door instead of the wine clips?

- Bucko - 01-31-2004

When they show me TRUE scientific methodology to support their claims, I'll buy a dozen. I have a strong feeling that my wallet will not be opening for them.

- Thomas - 01-31-2004

sedhed, those magnets on your door are softening the tannins in the wine in your refrigerator--can't you hear it???

Or maybe the magnet on the door is what makes the cheese inside turn green!

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-31-2004).]

- winoweenie - 02-01-2004

Foodster din't we talk about this usless pice of promo garbage a year or so ago? WW

- Thomas - 02-01-2004

...more than once, ww. I thought my story would provide a laugh for the board.