WineBoard
Drouhin LaForet - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Best Buys/Steal Deals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Drouhin LaForet (/thread-12364.html)

- Innkeeper - 10-13-2000

Hamburger wine of the year has to be the 1998 Joseph Drouhin, LaForet, Pinot Noir. This almost sparkling clear garnet Pinot has got to be one of the best values in the world. A ton of cherry fruit upfront, smooth tannin and acid, with a tiny kick on the finish that should evaportate in six months. Got it from Pops for $11.00 per bottle.

- winoweenie - 10-13-2000

IK, Do you think it`s better than the Parrallel 45? winoweenie... regardilee, I`ll try it anyhoos.

- Innkeeper - 10-13-2000

Prefer the "45" with lamburgers.

- winoweenie - 10-14-2000

Gracious IK, you`re spellin`s worse than MrD`s. winoweenie

- Innkeeper - 10-15-2000

Had a second bottle with roasted pork loin last night. Wonderful match. Pork was simply roasted with Penseys' bay leaf seasoning rubbed in the crosshatched fat on top, with a sliced onion scattered around. When pork was done, onions were deglazed with chicken stock, reduced, strained, and served with sliced pork.

Incidentally, had a half glass of wine left when finishing the salad last (a'la Francaise). There was ample acid to cut through the Raspberry-Hazelnut Vinaigrette.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 10-15-2000).]

- Innkeeper - 10-16-2001

Picked some more up on our last trip at Tanza Southway Liquors in Fall River RI at a half buck less than Pops, not even counting the S&H. The '98 is still looking good. Popped one with a simply grillpanned ham steak and spinach last night. It was lovely. Just right for a Monday night.

- wondersofwine - 10-16-2001

This is one I've liked too. Definitely a best buy.

- mrdutton - 10-16-2001

I really kinda think, WW, that IK meant LAMB Burgers............ don't you?

Between my spelling and your missed placed fingers, we really make quite the pare.....

- Innkeeper - 03-08-2004

Amazingly the 2001 is available from Pops for $8.52 in a mixed case. Can't understand why with a rising Euro the price has come down by just about $2.50 per bottle. Tell you what, I'll take it. Have secured a supply of it along with more '02 GDB Fleurie.

It hasn't lost a thing in recent vintages in our opinion. Still a load of red cherries on the nose and upfront, with Mother commenting the tannin and acid are already in balanced (the wine is ready to drink on release, dear), and a nice but crisp finish. Matched perfectly with sauteed ham slices in cream sauce, and spinach. Great buy.

- Innkeeper - 04-11-2004

Today we had four wine drinkers, and two bottles. It went like this; two kids, two grandkids, and two friends of kids here for dinner of baked glazed ham with Cumberland sauce, spoon bread, and green beans almandine. Hardly gets better.

- tandkvd - 04-11-2004

"spoonbread"

My stepdad talks about having it when he was young. Mom has tried making it but it never comes out right. My wifes niece made some today that was pretty good.

How do you make yours?

[This message has been edited by tandkvd (edited 04-11-2004).]

- Innkeeper - 04-11-2004

Did you forget I was married to a Cracker?

In a pot, mix a cup of finely ground white (Southern) corn meal with a tsp salt and a cup of milk. Meanwhile warm (microwave works) another cup and a half of milk, and add. Cook over medium low heat until you get cornmeal mush. Add two tsp baking powder, and two egg yolks briefly wisked. Fold all into two stiffly beaten egg whites, and transfer to a one and a half quart casserole with a tablespoon of butter melted in the bottom. Bake in a 375 degree oven for forty minutes.

- tandkvd - 04-11-2004

Sounds good. I'll see how it turns out when I make it. And take to mom's next time we go for dinner.

- Innkeeper - 04-12-2004

You'd better make it at Mom's. It is a souffle type dish, and needs to go directly from the oven to the table. Otherwise it collapses.

- Kcwhippet - 04-12-2004

I'd try it at least once at home before mom's to make sure it comes out somewhat the way it's supposed to.

- tandkvd - 04-12-2004

Of cource!

I want to at least act like I know what I am doing.

- Innkeeper - 06-04-2004

Another LaForet Pinot tonight with baked salmon pieces in aioli, with salad in vinaigrette. Very nice.