WineBoard
stuffed peppers - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: stuffed peppers (/thread-1235.html)

- n144mann - 04-20-1999

I was wondering if you guys had some fun ideas for wines to drink with stuffed bell peppers. The fillings I use vary, but usually like a stuffing made with rice, sausage (often italian) and seasoned with onion, parsley, rosemary, pepper and salt. Other ingredients can vary with what is available to me at the time.

I also have a grilled chicken breast that is looking for a new wine partner. IT is a sweet/sour type of thing with some spiciness coming from the grainy mustard that I use. Any ideas??

Nancy

- Jerry D Mead - 04-20-1999

First thing that comes to mind for the peppers for me is a lean, mean Chianti...it'll cut through the sausage and spice and handle the herbaceousness.

Re the chicken, the sweetness can be the problem but a ripe full bodied Pinot like David Bruce or Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyard might handle it, or a ripe (but not overripe) Zin. Or maybe Bogle or Concannon Petite Sirah?

JDM

- Randy Caparoso - 04-20-1999

Hi, Nancy. Curmudgeon is on the mark. Besides fatty, I also suspect the Italian sausage is a little fennel-y; and no matter how little you use, that and the taste of the bellpepper itself are dominant. So you need a decently acidic Chianti Classico, which often have fennel-like, peppery, woodsy nuances to go with their subtle cherry-like fruit. Also consider a Carmignano or California style Sangiovese -- which, although rounder than Chianti, still have the acidity intrinsic in the grape.

Mustard is an earth tone in food (usuall calling for earth tone wines), but the sweet-sour-hot thing you have going with a chicken changes the complexion. If anything, choose a wine with moderate alcohol and tannin, which tend to fight heat (alcohol) and offer jarring contrast to the sweetness (drying tannin). So if it's red, choose something fairly soft and fruity (low to medium priced Pinot Noir); although white off-dry wine is probably a little more ideal (slaty/minerally Rheinpfalz Kabinett or halbtrocken, or slightly flinty Vouvray such as Champalou's). Also consider one of the dryer, but still a trace sweet, White Zins (such as De Loach or Santino); but if you really want to be a wine sleuth, locate Callaghan's Dry Riesling (super exotic fragrance and breath earth tones) from Sonoita Arizona!

- n144mann - 04-20-1999

Hey great ideas guys. Have a nice chianti already that should do the trick and guessed that was the match to go with. I will play with the ideas for the chicken. You guys always keep me busy with lots of fun things to try. Thanks!
Nancy

PS- Nice to have you back Randy!

[This message has been edited by n144mann (edited 04-20-99).]

- Jerry D Mead - 04-21-1999

Randy...You do get esoteric!!! Sonoita???!!!

JDM

P.S. That's not a bad thing, but I doubt their distribution get's Pheonix or Tuscon....

- Randy Caparoso - 04-21-1999

You're right. Sorry, Curmudgeon. But Kent Callaghan really is an interesting guy. You probably know that he is just one of about five or so full-fledged commercial wineries down there. He is also (my opinion) the most serious one, which is why his stuff (besides exotic Rieslings, a power packed Sauvignon Blanc and huge, muscular Cabernet blend) is actually sold in isolated pockets of the U.S. from Hawaii to New York. You can say hello buy dialing his phone/fax at (520) 455-5322.

- Jerry D Mead - 04-22-1999

Randy...Now that's a legitimate plug for a little guy. Let's make it a kind of policy that when were heeping praise on some really little guy we mention how to contact them, making it a little more meaningful, instead of havinmg folks out searcing store shelves for something the'll never find.

In keeping with that spirit...I've mentioned Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyards and it's powerful Estate Pinot (also does really great Cabernet (the 1993 is current) and good Merlot and Duriff. (408) 426-6209