WineBoard
2000 Rutherford Hill Cabernet Sauvignon - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Best Buys/Steal Deals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: 2000 Rutherford Hill Cabernet Sauvignon (/thread-12316.html)

- robr - 07-22-2005

I believe this one usually sells for around $36. I got one yesterday for $13 at a local wine specialty shop. Popped it last night. I have no idea what this wine is rated, but it's the best Cab I have ever had. Very smooth, no bite, just a hint of oak, vanilla, and a lot of cherry flavor.

Going back today to get three more bottles.

- wondersofwine - 07-22-2005

Sounds like a good deal although 2000 wasn't considered a top vintage. I did a search and others have reported on Rutherford Hill Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot wines.

- robr - 07-22-2005

Is there a site on the net to search for this information without paying a subscription fee?

- wineguruchgo - 07-22-2005

Have you searched the first page of this site? There is a search option that might help you narrow down the field.

- wondersofwine - 07-22-2005

Also, you can google for "vintage charts" and pull up ones from Wine Enthusiast and other sources rating the vintage for California Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, etc. and Southern Rhone France, Northern Rhone France, red Burgundies, etc. The broad generalizations indicate whether the climate was optimum for producing excellent grapes or not (too much rain, early frost in the spring, rain during normal harvest weeks, etc.) but some producers will prevail despite climactic difficulties. So a vintage chart is just a general guide. 1998 was not considered that great a Cabernet Sauvginon vintage either but I have liked some 1998 cabs which are a little softer, less tannic than other vintages and thus go down easily with less maturity (but probably aren't right for holding 10-15 years).

- robr - 07-22-2005

http://www.wineontheweb.com/vintage/vintage.html

This one is interesting, easy to use, but has an annoying voice over that repeats, "Wine on the Webs Vintage Charts are consulted by professionals and amateurs alike." every time you go back to the home screen.

It's enough to drive one to drink.

The 2000 vintages of Cabernet apparently were inconsistent in quality, some were downright uninspiring, but a few Napa producers still produced some stellar wines. I think this Rutherford Hill must be one of those, but because of the overall negative report on that year it was not selling very well, thus the reduced price. Lucky me.

[This message has been edited by robr (edited 07-22-2005).]

- robr - 07-22-2005

I just finished the bottle from last night, and it occured to me why I like this one. I am not a huge fan of Cab -- it's usually too heavy, to spicy, too tannic, too oaky. This one doesn't really taste like a Cab. It's more like a Syrah.

I suppose many people would call this a fault, but to me it's an asset.

- wondersofwine - 08-11-2005

Similar to why I like some of the '98 cabs. Less tannin to begin with so don't need as much againg to mellow out.

- wineguruchgo - 08-14-2005

I know for a fact that the owners of the winery are also the owners of Alderbrook which they are changing the name and the concept.

I'm sure they need some heavy cash flow right now which is why they are offering the 00' vintage at a deal to distributors. Something tells me that the 01 will go right back up when they have the $$ they need. Besides, 01 was a better vintage than 00 - if you liked the california cabs in 00 beware in 01 - they are much more powerful

- robr - 11-28-2005

I used to be robr, but had to change my username when I decided to go into the FBI's witness protection plan.

I just opened another bottle of this great wine. Still a fantastic cab, and a real steal at this price. I highly recommend it, if you can find it.

- Kcwhippet - 11-28-2005

Foodie and the FBI aren't on the greatest terms at the momont.