WineBoard
'03 "Les Charmes" - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Best Buys/Steal Deals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: '03 "Les Charmes" (/thread-12302.html)

- Innkeeper - 01-02-2006

2003 Cave de Lugny, Macon Lugny, Chardonnay, "Les Charmes" ($9 NH Liquor Store). This was the year when many French wines were ruined by the heat. Somehow or other the folks in charge of this wine kept things under control. The result is in Emirl's terms, "kicked up a notch", but not too much! The alcohol is up .5% to 13%. There is more usual on the nose and upfront, and a delight across the palate. We have been drinking it with anything that will go with an SW. It is absolutely the best Chardonnay under $10 you can buy.

This is just a quick vist. Hope to back again soon.

- Cpthowdy758 - 06-27-2006

I have to agree on this bottle. I'm not the biggest Chardonnay fan in the world, but this one struck my fancy. Great structure and an excellent price to boot!

Dre

- Innkeeper - 12-01-2006

First '04 tonight. A bit more austere than the '03; duh! Still very nice. Recommended this to my daughter to take to four relatives in MD; and they all loved it too.

We matched it tonight with baked haddock, pilaf, and spinach. All very nice.

- VouvrayHead - 12-02-2006

I should have posted this eons ago, but yeah... The '04 is wonderful. I agreet is more austere than the '03; I like it better...

Without Les Charmes for a standby, my life would be a little less nice [img]http://wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

- Innkeeper - 09-05-2008

The '06 was $10.99 in a NH Liq Store. Alcohol level: 13.5%. It gives you pears and apples on the nose and upfront. There is more fruit in the complex middle along with ample acid. The finish is refreshing.

We matched it with Giada’s Linguine with Shrimp and Lemon Oil. We added some chopped red pepper and the meat from a steamed Lobster Cull. The wine held up to this with flying colors, and meal was one to remember.

- newsguy - 09-07-2008

IK: i saw her show when she cooked that linguine dish, and it sounded delicious. seems like i printed it out, then lost it. if you have a copy that you could post or e-mail, please do. thanks!

- Innkeeper - 09-07-2008

Linguine with Shrimp and Lemon Oil Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

For the lemon oil:
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 lemon, zested

For the pasta:
1 pound linguine pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
16 ounces frozen shrimp
1/4 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
1 lemon, zested
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 ounces arugula (about 3 packed cups)
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

For the lemon oil:

Combine the olive oil and the lemon zest in a small bowl and reserve.

For the pasta:

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.

Meanwhile, in a large, heavy skillet warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook until pink, about 5 minutes. Add the cooked linguine, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine. Turn off the heat and add the arugula. Using a mesh sieve, strain the lemon zest out of the reserved lemon olive oil and add the oil to the pasta. The zest can be discarded. Add the chopped parsley to the pasta and toss to combine. Serve immediately.

- TheEngineer - 09-08-2008

Damn that sounds good.

- VouvrayHead - 09-08-2008

The local wine store just e-mailed about "the best $15 white burg ever, blah, blah, blah..." 2006 Domaine Perraud Macon-Villages "Vieilles Vignes" is what it was.
Went and tried it, and while not bad, for my money I'm sticking with Les Charmes, still available at local grocery store. I'll happily drink this wine any old day.