WineBoard
A good merlot? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Best Buys/Steal Deals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: A good merlot? (/thread-12276.html)

- jrahl - 12-13-2000

I am a total novice when it comes to wine but especially Merlot. I would like to give a bottle of merlot to a friend for the holidays but I am not sure of what a "good" merlot is. I am looking in the $25-$30 range and the person I am giving it to know wines quite well. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jason Rahl

- winoweenie - 12-13-2000

Hi Jason and welcome to the board.How`s the weather up yonder? Oh well back........See if your local wine store has the St. Francis Merlot 98 or the St. Francis Merlot Reserve 97. Both are tasty suckers and should be in the price range. winoweenie

- Drew - 12-13-2000

Hey Verne.....the St. Francis Reserve is $40 everywhere here in good ole' Baltimore area.
Try the Swanson, Blackstone Napa, Clos Pegase, or Silverado all 1997 merlots.
Drew

- winoweenie - 12-14-2000

And How`s your weather Drewskie? Had to wear long pants here today. WW

- Blue - 12-14-2000

If you want to go French, you can find a Bottle of Chateau Font Villac from St Emillion for about $17 dollars in most of the country...nice and easy to drink this wine is a great base St. Emillion (100% Merlot). I suggest you look at the wines from St. Emillion...if you are looking to spend a little more, try the Chateau Canon-La Gafelliere.

-Blue (Why buy Californian when you can have better wine from France?)

- Drew - 12-14-2000

If you had to wear long pants then you know what I'm wearing....can you say survival suit? Ice, rain, and more ice, God I hate winter!

Drew

- Innkeeper - 12-14-2000

We had three inches of beautiful snow here today. Lord, how we love it.

- winoweenie - 12-14-2000

Hi Blue, You`ve said something I`d like clarified. Font Villac is 100% Merlot? I`ve never had a 100% Merlot from St Emilion. if it is it must be some small unclassified property. I don`t know any property there that doesn`t blend some amount Cabernet Franc in their wines. Also " Why buy Calif wines when you can get better wine from France" based on what. Most people here don`t use definative statements when they`re based only on their personal opinions. winoweenie

- Drew - 12-14-2000

WW, I have several bottles of a 100% Merlot Bordeaux from St. Emilion named Chateau Belle Garde which I love with any kind of beast. Do agree with you though, California and France....Apples and Oranges.

Drew

- winoweenie - 12-15-2000

Drew, My reply stated that " it must be some unclassified property." Can`t think of one of the 68 classified growths that don`t use Cab Franc or Cab Sauv in their blends. WW

- Blue - 12-15-2000

WW - Font Villac is a Grand Cru actually (far from one of the best, but its also very reasonably priced) - and yes its 100% Merlot! Check it out, as I said, its cheap.

Regarding French vs Californian...I was just running my mouth (and maybe mentioning a personnal preference)...of course I have tasted many a good californian wine...but imho, with the skyrocketing price of wine in the US and the high dollar I have been finding that you can get better value with French wine in many cases. I would love to see an old world / New world debate...sure its pointless, but we argue about lots of pointless things folk (like whether pregnant chads should be counted)

[This message has been edited by Blue (edited 12-15-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Blue (edited 12-15-2000).]

- winoweenie - 12-15-2000

Blus, You`ve used the magic letters "IMHO." With those you can make any statement you feel like and never get chastisted on this board. Lots of times I`m tempted to shove an opinion down some-ones throat and then remember it`s only my opinion against his.(parm ` Me missy CCK, or hers ).I`m still confused about Font Villac. Cain`t find it listed in Parker`s revised as a Grand Cru or Broadbent etc. Has this property been elevated since 1997 and still selling its` wines at bourgeous pricing? I`m confused. winoweenie

- Blue - 12-19-2000

Like you I can't find it listed in many places. A general search on a search engines yields a few wine Lists from some restaurants.

e.g. http://www.figtreerestaurant.com/Our_Wine_Cellar/Complete_Wine_List/complete_wine_list.html

It was plentifully available in Austin texas where I moved from a few months back, and its definately a Grand Cru.

Here is a TN of the 95 from:

http://www.westcoastwine.net/forum/read.php?f=13&i=23449&t=23449

------
Author: Sam Leone
Date: 12-27-98 22:16

My favorite daughter-in-law, Kim (who is also my only d-i-l), is turning the wine-lover's corner and is in a passionate rush to taste all and sundry wines. French merlot is her latest passion. Had Kim and my son over for dinner tonight and broke out a magnum of the '95 Font Villac. This 100 percent merlot, a Grand Cru from St. Emilion, did not, I'm afraid, exactly bowl her over.
It was in all respects merely a mediocre merlot/Bordeaux: nice, clear, ruby red; a bit of a musty nose, closed, tad hints of berry and chocolate; a dusty taste of low fruit; and a fading, medium finish with dusty tannins. This is a pleasant wine, with an honest, warm attack and no overwhelming flaws--but it just does not have the wick to light one's candle.

We finished the evening with a '95 Ravenswood Napa Valley zin. It brought some fruit to the table.

Regards,

Sam
---------------

Winoweenie, don't look too hard for it though, there are MANY better St. Emillion's, I just found it interesting because:

A. 100% Merlot
B. Its cheap
C. Matures quite early
D. Plentiful in texas (where I was living at the time)
E. Did okay with somewhat spicy food

-Blue

- ddf68 - 12-19-2000

I, too, have consulted my printed authorities and did not find Font Villac amongst the 74 chateaux in the 1986 St. Emilion grand cru classification. I believe St. Emilion revisits the classification every ten years, so maybe this changed in '96.

ddf

- winoweenie - 12-19-2000

And with a review like this you say that he should buy French Wines because they`re better and cheaper? Try the Blackstone Napa and I`ll guarantee you`ll throw rocks at this no-fruit frenchie. WW By-the-by. I`ve had literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of Marvelous St. Emilions. Chevals`, Ausones`, Canons`,Magdelaines`,Valandrauds, Pavies`,even the lesser growths like Corbin,Dougay, and Vieux Fontin. Again, these wines are ALL blends of Merlot and Cab Franc and can be great. winoweenie