WineBoard
WS Top 100 list? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Best Buys/Steal Deals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: WS Top 100 list? (/thread-12265.html)

- anabanana - 12-20-2004

Which wines on the list do you agree with?

- wondersofwine - 12-20-2004

I started a big rant by posting on this list under Rants and Raves back on December 5. Most of the forum contributors give little weight to other wine experts' ratings and see this list as a big commercial venture.

I would not presume to place wines in an exact position but some of the wines I liked that appear on the list are the 2002 Seghesio Sonoma Zinfandel, the Ponzi Pinot Noir and Argyle Pinot Noir, Kim Crawford Sauvginon Blanc, Banfi Brunello and Frescobaldi Brunello. I also think the Sauternes they listed are of high quality although I haven't tasted all of them from the vintage listed. However, I think the list only included one Loire Valley Sauvignon Blanc and little in the way of Burgundies and Bordeaux. (They say they do try to list wines that are widely available and that's not the case with topnotch Burgundy and Bordeaux wines).

- Kcwhippet - 12-20-2004

They may say that they try to list available wines but that's not strictly true. Frequently the wines they list are low production, sold out vintages or exorbitantly priced. Even when the wines are still available, the retailers generally use the WS100 list to radically boost the price so they're no longer affordable to those of us not yet on the Forbes 400 list. Just my little rant - indulge me.

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 12-20-2004).]

- Glass_A_Day - 12-20-2004

Well, most of the wines are available when first rated. However, when the top 100 comes out it is the end of the year and most of the highly rated wines are gone. The top 100 consists of a years worth of releases. I have about 15 of them in my cellar, but not because of the top 100 standings. Clos Apalta for example is an every year buy. I just bought the 02 and it hasn't even been rated yet. I get my ideas from the mags, but buy in quantity after a good experience.

- Innkeeper - 12-21-2004

We thought we might have had more, but after going over it carefully the only one we had this past year was the 2002 Seghesio Sonoma Zinfandel. They must have sent a carefully screened bottle or two to WS for tasting. We and others have found it almost as erratic as another Zin that has gotten some notice around here.

We thought we might have had the Riesling from Alsace and the Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, but research has revealed that is probably mistaken identity. We are big fans of Columbia Crest, but have not had one of their Merlots since the '99; and we the like the Cab better anyway.

WS seldom ever reviews the wines we drink and like, much less honors them. We will let our subscription lapse.

- californiagirl - 12-21-2004

I'm with you IK. I've found that I was only reading in for the latest "winery" news in the first couple pages. Most of that was already found online anyways. Wasn't worth the $45 a year.