WineBoard
Value Cabernet - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Best Buys/Steal Deals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Value Cabernet (/thread-12160.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Bucko - 02-13-2000

1997 Columbia Crest, Cabernet Sauvignon, Columbia Valley, $11 retail, probably $9 at discounters. Complex, ripe black fruit with generous but balanced sweet oak. Very good value for the quality.

Bucko

- Innkeeper - 03-01-2000

Thanks Bucko. As usual your recommendation was right on. Went perfectly with a wonderful Omaha steak. No, not that company.

- Bucko - 03-01-2000

Good grief, someone agreed with me -- I need to go lay down......

Glad you enjoyed it. Now about that steak....... Tough to find really good, prime dry aged beef anymore. Any tips?

Bucko

- mrdutton - 03-01-2000

Bucko......

From Texas the folks at Goodheart Meats offer some very nice dry aged Argentine Beef. Try: www.hauteathome.com

I saw dry aged midwestern US beef somewhere and can't for the life of me remember exactly. It may have been at one of the following:

Dean and Deluca - www.deandeluca.com

Balducci's - www.balducci.com

Allen Brothers - www.allenbrothers.com

Along time ago I used to order from that O word place. But that was before they went way, way, down-hill.

The Argentine Beef Fillet Mignons and the strip steaks from Haute-at-Home (Goodheart meats) are delicious.

- chittychattykathy - 03-01-2000

The Chardonnay is a nice buy as well. I can't seem to keep enough in stock. K

- Bucko - 03-01-2000

Haute-at-Home (Goodheart meats) -- Tried the web site -- dead.

I'll try one of the others listed. I'm familar with Dean and Deluca. Thanks Michael.

Bucko

- Innkeeper - 03-02-2000

Call Avery Meat Market in Bellevue, NE at 402-733-7155 or toll free 888-623-8748, and ask them to send you a dozen 1 1/2 pound boneless sirloin steaks (dozen makes S&H cost effective). You all will be amazed a the quality and the value. If you prefer some other cut, they will be happy to help you. We are going to order another dozen sirloins today.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 03-02-2000).]

- Thomas - 03-02-2000

Bucko, look up www.redmeatclub.com, and after you eat your fill, get on a low fat diet...

- Bucko - 03-02-2000

I'm writing all of this stuff down. I'm on a quest now...... ;-)

Bucko

- mrdutton - 03-02-2000

As soon as I saw the posting I got my catalog and called the long distance number.

Haute at Home's web site is temporarily dead and they were not aware of it. Their phone number is 1-888-466-3992. Their shipping prices are especially reasonable, I believe. They use FEDEX Second Day. They have been my source of game meat and argentine beef for about three years now.

I buy their venison all the time - gives me the excuse I need to justify to my wife why I bought another case of something wonderful from one of the Rhone Rangers.

- hotwine - 03-02-2000

Bucko, suggest you look for grass-fed beef, usually now called freerange. There's a world of difference between such beef and the feedlot variety... Grass-fed is much leaner and sweeter, in addition to being a healthier product, IMO. It must still be wormed and vaccinated, but is raised without the growth hormones that are so commonly used these days. I found a site that sells it on the Web, at lasatergrasslandsbeef.com.
Haven't used them myself (we raise our own, in a small herd of 100 or so head), but their Web site suggests they could be a good source.

- Bucko - 03-02-2000

Wow, thanks for all of the replies. It looks like we have some serious beef lovers around here.

Bucko

- mrdutton - 03-02-2000

Red wine and beef (red meat) - a match made by the gods. How we mere mortals stumbled upon it is beyond me, but I sure am glad we did.

To help stay on subject [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] - I've been looking for some 1997 Columbia Crest Cab but so far to no avail.

When I serve guests a good cut of beef or other red meat, I like to "parade the beef" for their approval. That is a custom that seems to have fallen by the wayside. Except, perhaps in the military. We used to parade the beef during our very formal dinners.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 03-02-2000).]

- hotwine - 03-02-2000

Serious, indeed. I took up welding as a hobby a number of years ago, so I could design and build a trailer-mounted BBQ pit to handle fairly large quantities of beef. The current model will smoke a couple of hundred pounds of briskets or turkeys while also grilling steaks or hamburgers. We do enjoy our beef!
Thanks for the tip on the Columbia Crest.

- misterjive - 03-04-2000

Gallo of Sonoma is good for value Cabernet Sauvignon, but then again, their price seems to go up every times somebody mentions what a good buy it is. I think Hess Select is a good value Cab, but I'd much rather drink the Hess Collection! Finally, the cheapest of Pine Ridge's portfolio (Rutherford, maybe, somebody help me out here--my brain is stalling) tastes a lot more like their higher-end stuff than many producers' value-labels.

- Innkeeper - 03-04-2000

Misterjive, please go to Wine & Politics and see how fond we are of Gallo at this point!

- marcepan - 03-04-2000

Have to agree about Hess Cab...If anyone gets a chance visit the vineyard in California..The folks are hospitable and open wines that are not even showing that day. YUM!!

- mrdutton - 03-06-2000

Well I found it. 1997 Columbia Crest Cab. It was at the nearby Navy Exchange Package store for about $9 something a bottle.

Opened it up as soon as I got home. Sat down on the deck in the backyard overlooking the small, but very well stocked with large mouth bass, lake. Read my Fine Cooking magazine and sipped on the wine.

Not bad at all and my dentist won't be angry with me because it did not knock the enamel off my teeth, either!

- Thomas - 03-07-2000

I need a new dentist; he doesn't get angry with me when a good wine knocks the enamel off my teeth; he smiles like a cheshire cat.

- zenda2 - 08-21-2001

Maybe a year late, but here's another answer to the question 'Where's the Beef?'

I drive to this KC butchershop, thus can't comment on their shipping...but I can verify their beef is topnotch. We don't have that east/west coast 'best crab' debate to distract us here in KC...we just chase the perfect steak. Y'all can catch one here:

http://www.mcgonigles.com/