WineBoard
Hits and misses from a bizarre bargain bin - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Best Buys/Steal Deals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Hits and misses from a bizarre bargain bin (/thread-12157.html)

- dananne - 01-31-2004

In a liquor store in the 'hood in downtown Atlanta, one finds many interesting things. And, no, I'm not just talking about the customers. Bypassing the many isles of 40 oz. beverages, last year I discovered a cache of close-out '97 Chateau Grand Mayne St. Emilion for $12. Have enjoyed several bottles this year, and I recently saw it at an upscale wine store for $65. Yay for me. This most recent excursion was interesting, as well. 2002 Guelbenzu Cab-Carmenere from the Colchagua region in Chile ($3), 2001 Carchelo Jumilla ($5), and Domaine du Pesquier Vin de Pays de Vaucluse ($3) were among the interesting pick-ups. I also bought a 1998 Brandborg Cellars Russian River Valley Zinfandel for $3. Opened it recently and was quite puzzled by it. The nose, flavor profile, mouthfeel, etc. all were oddly and uncannily like a Rioja, and an aged one at that. Consumed it over 3 days, and it was consistently good until the last, with the Zin elements not even really showing until the 3rd day. Can't ask for much more interest, complexity, or longevity from anything else running $3. Did some Web sleuthing, and it seems like this outfit packed up and moved to Oregon. Go figure. Picked up some more. Was not so lucky with a 2000 Bridgeview Merlot from Oregon ($4, and totally undrinkable) and a Benton Grove California Cab (NV? At any rate, $3 -- and undrinkable). The guy running this odd little shack of a 40-Dog liquor store just gets these random deals -- sometimes they're hits, and other times not. He's working on a 2000 Bordeaux deal right now with "a guy." If it pans out, I'll give the details.

Wierd time to be a consumer.

- Innkeeper - 01-31-2004

Wish we had one of those around here.

- hotwine - 01-31-2004

Same here, IK. We had one years ago, but he sold out.

- winoweenie - 01-31-2004

Are you a distant relative of Drew?WW

- wondersofwine - 02-19-2004

I wasn't very impressed with Bridgeview Pinot Noir either the one time I tried it.

- dananne - 02-19-2004

I, too, disliked the Bridgeview pinot, and obviously took a flier and missed with the merlot. Had a second bottle of the "Rioja Zin" from Brandborg, and it was still interesting and nice, though completely atypical of Zin. Also had a chance to try the aforementioned Guelbenzu blend, and it was quite decent -- reminded me of a Morende Carmenere that I tried at $11. The Jumilla I mentioned above was just about on par with Vina Alarba, and because of the discount they were right about at the same price point. The Pesquiere was earthy and complex the first night, but died a horrible death when I approached it on the second.

Still, by far the best "find" at the place was the Grand Mayne for $12. Still waiting on the 2000 deal that may happen (or may not, at this rate).

- hotwine - 02-19-2004

Really good deals on European wines may disappear for a while, until the exchange rate gets more in balance. When you find 'em these days, you've got to jump on 'em quickly.