WineBoard
Primitivo - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Best Buys/Steal Deals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Primitivo (/thread-12132.html)

- Thomas - 06-09-2000

Apollonio, 1997 Terragnolo Primitivo--Salento (Puglia). At $6 or $7, this isn't a steal it in-your-face robbery of Italian art.

Dark fruit, rich body, slightly peppery; truly what a Zinfandel can be, but of course this is the mother.

- Scoop - 06-09-2000

Will look for it here in NYC, Foodie.

Cheers,

Scoop

- mrdutton - 06-09-2000

I am not sure if the shock absorbers and the struts on my car will be able to handle the load after I get done wine shopping in NYC in just about 2 weeks.............. Cuz we sure can't find much of any of the recently recommended wines in Virginia.

(Except the Rancho Zaboco)

- Randy Caparoso - 06-10-2000

Interested not just good Apulia grown Primitivo, but one with blood and guts? the 1998 Tarantino "La Corte is as big, beefy and thick as the heavy-hitter Californians. It's a little different though -- earthy and sun-dried tomato nuances set it apart from the raspberry/blackberry jam qualities you find in California. However, for American consumption it is actually bottled as "Zinfandel" -- the varietal name superimposed into the brand name on the label.

Incidentally, ampelographers are of the belief that Primitivo was actually planted in Southern Italy AFTER it was brought over to California. If anything, the true "mother" is across the Adriatic in Croatia; although I've been reading conflicting reports on the DNA findings.

- Jason - 06-10-2000

Yes, from what I have read, the oldest Zin vines predate those of Primtivo.
Also have not seen anything definitive on Pavlic Mali (from Croatia) tying it to Zin.
I know Mike Grgich released one here about a year ago, anybody try it?

- Thomas - 06-11-2000

Believe me guys, I never thought the so-called DNA connection between Primitivo and Zinfandel would stand up to the scrutiny of doubters.

Anyway, I prefer the mystery of it all, but you cannot escape the apparent similarity between P and Z wines. I need experience with the Croatian variety; anyone have names and possible sightings?

If you look at a map, it is easy to see it is just a short run for a grape vine back and forth between Italy and Croatia, a lot shorter than between Europe and California.

Had another Primitivo from Puglia last night, but not nearly as good as the above, so I shall spare you the details.

- Randy Caparoso - 06-11-2000

So far, Foodie, I, for one, have not seen much similarity between California Zin and Plavic Mali, Primitivo, et al. Besides high alcohol. The European versions don't seem to have that fresh, penetrating, sweet, jammy fruitiness that the Californians get on a regular basis. If there are family resemblances, it obviously gets lost in the differences in terroir and (in all likelihood) clonal variations. Similar to the relationship between Aussie Shiraz and the predominant French clones of Syrah; between which the similarities are more broad than specific.

- Randy Caparoso - 06-11-2000

By the way, you guys will be enjoying another three-plus week respite from my ramblings. Another summer of heavy travel. Wanted to take this moment to thank Jackie in particular for getting me back onto the site for an enjoyable pick or two. I was very proud to be included among the latter day "Jerry's Kids," and was moved by the turnout to his memorial in Sonoma last month (and what a memorably scorching day!). Hopefully, Nancy can hop back in to spice things up again.

- Thomas - 06-11-2000

Now, why didn't I expect that one?

This time, Randy, I not only disagree with you, I emphatically disagree with you (about the Primitivo--haven't much experience with the Croatian version).

Have a nice three months away, and try to taste some of the same wines I taste--I'll enjoy the sparring....

- Catch 22 - 06-12-2000

Ummm, ...foodie....., Randy said he's only going to be away for three weeks, not three months. Freudian slip? Hmmm....

- Thomas - 06-13-2000

The food emporium has no clothes....at least someone reads my posts!

- mrdutton - 06-13-2000

Foodie, I always read your posts. However, I am not sure how often I believe them.....

[img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Thomas - 06-14-2000

At your age, Dutton, you should be more sure of yourself....

- winoweenie - 06-14-2000

Gracious Foodie, I can`t leave you alone 2 minutes and you`re running Randy off and berating MrD . It muat be some-how tied to the acid that is always in those sissy whites you drink. You need an aged red with those mellow tannins to stoke down the fire. Winoweenie

- Thomas - 06-14-2000

You know, I never thought about the acids affecting my personality. Guess I'll just drink milk, or 100 percent malolactic Chardonnay--same thing.