WineBoard
Great French Syrah! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Best Buys/Steal Deals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Great French Syrah! (/thread-12115.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Drew - 06-26-2000

Just got back from 4 wonderfull days in Ocean City, Maryland. On the way down, stopped at a wine shop in Rehoboth Beach, De. and picked up 2 bottles of 1998 Thierry & Guy "Fat Bastard" Vin de Pays d'Oc syrah. Beautiful dark plum with just a touch of garnet on the outer edge. Silky smooth mouth feel, rich dark fruit flavors that finish long. $9.99 and no tax at Atlantic wines and liquors, no case discounts though....strange!
Bought half case on the way back.

Drew

- Innkeeper - 06-26-2000

Drew, please post or e-mail the name and address of the store. We are going down there for a week at the end of September. Hopefully, AFTER a certain wine shop opens in lower Manhattan.

- mrdutton - 06-26-2000

Innkeeper,

You manage to visit all of my old haunts. I've been going to Rehoboth Beach, DE since I was in diapers....................

I didn't get to the wine shop in lower Manhattan, was too busy doing other things. Besides, it was not open yet, was it?

Atlantic Wines & Liquors
4471 Highway 1
Rehoboth, DE

Phone (302) 645-5229

- Drew - 06-26-2000

Innkeeper, just look for the LARGE sign, "Golf- Old Landing", Atlantic wines is right next to it. Nice selection of wines and fair priced. They also offered a "Fat Bastard" Chardonney but I'm not much on sissy whites either (although a few occasionally thouch my lips!). I remember reading something about this particular wine....I even think WS rated it high but I can't seem to find the info. again, anyway, it's a good wine, enjoy.

Drew

- Thomas - 06-27-2000

Ah, Ocean City, Maryland. The last thing I remember about it is my first wife--the honeymoon of course.

No license yet guys, but my partner just got back from Italy making deals for wines that are not yet available in NYC today. We are excited about this shop. Now, if I can only find an apartment that will not eat up my income....

- Innkeeper - 10-06-2000

Well we went by Atlantic W&L during our recent trip. It was a very nice store with a wide selection of wines, particularly American (including Pennsylvania) and French. Selection from other regions was spotty. Cousin Byron and moi cleaned them out of the Fat Bastard Syrah. They also had a good supply of one of Dutton's faves, 1997 Cline, Cotes D'Oakley. Found a supply of 1997 Duboeuf, Viognier at two or three dollars less than they get for it up here. There was a fair selection of New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs. We went with the only 1999 they had, fearing the longevity of the '98s, which, coming from down under, were really '97 1/2s. So we picked up the 1999 Riverside, Hawkes Bay, Sauvignon Blanc.

The only real complaint we had was that every bottle was standing straight up. Unless they have exceeding fast inventory turnover, which well they may, this is somewhat disconcerting.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 10-06-2000).]

- Drew - 10-06-2000

Oh No....no more FAT BASTARD!!!!! Oh well, at least Innkeeper has it well protected!!!
[img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/mad.gif[/img] How did you enjoy the beach?
Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 10-06-2000).]

- mrdutton - 10-06-2000

Without trying to put words in IK's mouth......

OC and Rehoboth can not be beat in late September and in October. Best time of all to go, IMHO.

My birthday is in February. Guess where I'm going? That's okay, I'll tell. A long weekend in Nag's Head, NC at the First Colony Inn (a very nice B&B that is also on the National Historic Register). Yup the beach in the dead of winter! Just love it!

- Innkeeper - 10-07-2000

As you may surmise we had a mixed bag of weather down there. No problem. Rainy days are great for visiting wine stores. Unfortunately women like to go to outlet stores then. Did have a few wonderful beach days, and being located in the low rise area of North Ocean City, we had the beach pretty much to ourselves. Did have wonderful day trips to Cape May (by ferry), and to Assategue Island where we saw and photographed several "ponies." If our car goes on many more ferrys it's going to grow fins.

Some restaurants in the area of note are: The Lobster House, Fisherman's Warf, Cape May, NJ is just about as good as a seafood restaurant gets, with a fair wine list. The setting is spectacular. There is an adjacent fish market that will blow your socks off. Difebo's Restaurant, 789 Garfield Parkway, Bethany Beach, DE (tel: 382-539-4558) is an upscale Italian Restaurant. Maybe a little too up. However, the food, service, ambiance, and wine list are all top drawer. You just have to pay a lot for it. It is also well off the water. The Hobbit Restaurant, 181 81st Street, Ocean City, MD is a very nice eclectic place "on the bay" as most Ocean City restaurants tend to be, since most of the ocean is occupied by condos. They feed the ducks and geese in their area, so they are always there year around to entertain you. The food, service, and view are great. Wine list is decent. You can save a ton of money by going for their early bird special between 5:00 & 6:00 PM. We enjoyed both seafood and inland dishes there. Would definitely go back to all three places, saving Difebo's for a special occasion.

- mrdutton - 10-08-2000

Can't speak to Cape May, since it has never really been a "hang out" for me.

The Hobbit is really a very good place to eat. Tom, the owner, really produces some good meals (parents know him). There are also a few places in Rehoboth, a few blocks in from the ocean front on Rehoboth Avenue.

Angelo's, if they are still in business, in OC is the best of Italy at the beach that I've ever experienced. But, Difebo's in Bethany is also top notch. Another place just south of Fenwick Island is The Nantucket. It is a first rate restaurant.

I was in the area today. Unfortunately, Atlantic Wine & Liquor was closed. I was going to drop in and give them a hard time for being out of Fat Bastard.......

- winoweenie - 10-08-2000

MrD, YOU CALLED ? winoweenie

- Drew - 10-08-2000

Not to worry, I have just learned from reliable sources that the first liquor store north of the Md./Del. line (ocean side), in Fenwick, has plenty of Fat Bastards!

Drew

- Drew - 10-09-2000

Speaking of the Hobbit restaurant, they used to be located on Coastal Hwy. in OC years ago and moved to a new building on the bay where they are now. They moved their bar from the old to the new building which is a hand painted beauty depicting characters out of J.R.R. Tolkien's trilogy. It's really something to see.

Drew

- Innkeeper - 10-09-2000

Only complaint about the Hobbit Bar is that they have one of those annoying model railroads that run around the wall up by the ceiling that seem to be cropping up everywhere. Sombody's making a pile on that one!

- mrdutton - 10-09-2000

Interesting how we all manage to frequent the same or similar places.........

- ChefMax - 10-10-2000

Did Drew really say, "sissy whites"? That's embarrassing to anyone who truly appreciates wine! Have you ever experienced some of the Montrachets? Rusian River Valley Chardonnays? Please, if we are going to discuss wine, let's do so intelligently.

- mrdutton - 10-10-2000

ChefMax, Welcome to the Wine Board.

We do take wine seriously. And you have taken Drew's comment out of context, so please do not be offended.

We all talk about SW's......... and how our loving wives qauff them at our displeasure......... GRIN

There are some very good Whites, some even have ATTITUDE (to use another's words) like Montrachets. However, over-oaked California chardonnay is a different story....... but that is another subject........

- winoweenie - 10-10-2000

Hi there ChefMax and welcome to the board. I think if you take time to read a lot of threads on this board you`ll find that wines are not only discussed intelligently but with more knowledge than you`ll find anywhere else on the net. You`ll get more wine exposure and experience here in one week than you will with a years subscription to the Wine Speculator. One thing you wont find is the pomposity that exists with people with just enough knowledge to be dangerous. Wine Snobs We `Aint, but wine knowledge we has. We`uns also be havin` a sense of humor , not only about ourselves,but life in general. By-the-By, I`m responsible for the term Sissy Whites. The Motto in my house is " Be Red or Be Dead!" winoweenie

- mrdutton - 10-10-2000

Sorry WW, did not mean to imply anything........... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

RE: fat bastard and your comment: YOU CALLED!!

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 10-10-2000).]

- Drew - 10-10-2000

Beware WW,.....I believe an undercover agent from WITHSTAND is testing us....code name,
CHEFMAX!!!

Counter Agent Drew [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/cool.gif[/img]