WineBoard
my quest for good cheap wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Best Buys/Steal Deals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: my quest for good cheap wine (/thread-12105.html)

- GLSuperfly1211 - 11-20-2006

Before everyone jumps on my case for voicing opinions about various wines I need to make it clear that I am not an expert, nor do I pretend to be one. That said, I am on a quest to learn wine for as little money as humanly possible, here is what I have found so far.

The good:
I have had Yellowtail Merlot, and Shiraz both were good (and 2005 for 7.99 per bottle). The Merlot got better over a few days. the Shiraz started down the road to vinegar within a few hours of being popped.

I had a bottle of Berringer Cabernet Sauvignon. (2004, I think) this was good but I thought the Yellowtail wines were better buys (this bottle was 12.99). I am going to be looking at other cab's when I get home to see how they compare.

the bad:
Foxhorn White Zinfandel (3.99, no labeled year)!!!! it was semi-sweet when I popped it yesterday and it required time in the freezer to save it, but it was really tart and I was inclined to mix it with something...luckily I have a roommate who will drink anything as long as it has alcohol, so we polished the bottle off to some Bob Dylan (even listening to Bob couldn’t completely save the experience) while discussing various stupid things that his friends do.

[This message has been edited by GLSuperfly1211 (edited 11-23-2006).]

[This message has been edited by GLSuperfly1211 (edited 11-23-2006).]

- Innkeeper - 11-20-2006

Sounds like you are making some sound judgments.

- winoweenie - 11-20-2006

Keep on Keepin' on there Sups! WW

- wdonovan - 11-21-2006

Look for some Rhone wines, also Spanish tempranillo grape wines. Both can come in at the sub $10 mark and in that range, I'm inclined to think you'll get better quality than the Côte du Francisco.

- californiagirl - 11-22-2006

Not sure where you're shopping, but in Cali, chances are good you should be able to find Excelsior Cab Sauv for about $8 a bottle. I believe it's from So. Africa. Very nice Cab for the $$.

- Drew - 11-22-2006

"Before everyone jumps on my case for voicing opinions about various wines I need to make it clear that I am not, nor do I Pretend to be one."

One what? Just curious.

Drew

- wdonovan - 11-22-2006

"...One what? Just curious...."

One of "us" no doubt.

- GLSuperfly1211 - 11-23-2006

an expert on wine...or writing apperantly.

- lisay - 11-30-2006

I recently received a $3.99 bottle of Crane Lake Petit Sirah 2003 which was jammy and quite drinkable. Definitely worth a try. Does anyone know more about this winery?

- Innkeeper - 11-30-2006

Hi Lisay, and welcome to the Wine Board. Crane Lake is a brand created by Bronco Wines to market Charles Shaw (Two Buck Chuck) wines to independent retailers. Charles Shaw is only sold through Trader Joe's.

The Petite Sirah is unique in that it doesn's appear on the Charles Shaw label. Furthermore, although I haven't seen it, have seen good reports on it including in Wine & Spirits Magazine.