WineBoard
With smoked scallops and grilled squash.... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: With smoked scallops and grilled squash.... (/thread-1183.html)

Pages: 1 2

- hotwine - 08-01-2003

The 2000 Deerfield Ranch Sauvignon Blanc was absolutely superb tonight. Using an oak fire, first smoked the marinated scallops for 20 minutes, then grilled the squash slices over the dying coals. With a gumbo of fresh okra and tomatoes. Sonofagun, it doesn't get any better. Had to open a second bottle, since the cook needed lubrication over the pit. Now only two bottles left in the cellar, but they are at their peak.

- Georgie - 08-01-2003

Well, it sounded great right up until that "o" vegetable inclusion. That stuff sends shivers up this Yankee girl's spine!

- Botafogo - 08-01-2003

Okra is the staff of life, be careful when you defame foods.....oh, just more for me! I love the way they do it in Minas Gerais, Brasil: stuffed with cheese and sun dried beef then deep fried.

Roberto

- Kcwhippet - 08-02-2003

Georgie,

It sounds like you've never tried okra, or you had some that wasn't prepared well. Give it another try. Though I've never had Hotsy's version, an okra and tomato based gumbo is a real treat. There you go, Hotsy. That can be one of the recipes in the cook book.

- tandkvd - 08-02-2003

My Grandma makes pickled okra. I have loved this stuff all my life.
I used to cut her grass and she would make me Blt's and I would have the pickled okra with it. I now only get to taste it at family get togethers.

Maby I can coax the recipe from her for the cookbook Georgie.

- Innkeeper - 08-02-2003

Make my gumbo with file; though have to admit my southern other half loves okra.

- tandkvd - 08-02-2003

IK, File?

- JagFarlane - 08-02-2003

Ahhhhhhh File`, goes great in Spanish rice too...which brings a question. IK...I've looked all around in most specialty shops, only place I've found file` is in Lancaster, PA, in an Amish shop. Where do you get yours?

- Thomas - 08-02-2003

Count in one more okra lover. Used to grow it at my Finger Lakes home, but haven't time to grow much more than an herb garden (and a few easy vegetables & fruits) these days.

I thought file (feelay) was merely a batch of crushed sassafras leaves; what exactly constitutes the stuff?

- Drew - 08-02-2003

File' is very finely groung sassafras leaves used, not only for flavoring, but for thickening of gumbos, etc....love the stuff.

Drew

- Georgie - 08-02-2003

The only time I was ever served okra it reminded me of a bad head cold, if you get my drift. UGH! Maybe if it was prepared some other way. Feel free to send in okra recipes for the cookbook.

- Innkeeper - 08-02-2003

File is an alternate way of thickening gumbo other than okra. There are plenty of folks in Cajun Country that don't like okra either, which is why file has a following.

- Kcwhippet - 08-02-2003

Jag - You can get the gumbo file, and any other spices and dried herbs you need, from Penzeys Spices. There are a bunch of regulars who get all their stuff from Penzeys. The flavors and quality is unmatched and the variety of items in unbelievable. Check them out at www.penzeys.com.

- winoweenie - 08-02-2003

Okra has the same place in this Okies heart that the 70 BV and 73 Sterling Reserves have. Fried okra be nirvana. WW

- Innkeeper - 08-02-2003

Agree on Penzeys, and disagree on the fried okra. Have the Penseys catalog in from of me right now as daughter that is visiting wants to get.

- hotwine - 08-02-2003

You non-okra folks dunno what cher missin'. I be glad to eat your share. Just got a fresh batch at the farmers' market this mornin', along with another three dozen tomatoes. Hope the Deerfield holds out long enough to eat 'em up.

- Georgie - 08-02-2003

Just ate my first Jersey tomato of the season. Now THAT's heaven.

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 08-02-2003).]

- quijote - 08-03-2003

I LOVE deep-fried okra, preferably with a cornmeal batter.

I also love Indian-style okra bhajia--okra tossed with oil, cumin, chile, and other spices, then oven-roasted.

Mmmmm!

- winedope1 - 08-03-2003

try it again, Georgie. Okra is delicious if prepared well. What you had was not. I make mine in stew form with tomatoes, onion, and lamb. Yum!

- Georgie - 08-03-2003

Ok, all of you okra fans, I will keep an open mind about the slimy stuff. At a party last night I took an informal poll about okra and not one of these Jersey shore residents said anything but "ick." Guess we just gotta learn how to cook it.