WineBoard
Mackey's Garlic Shrimp - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Mackey's Garlic Shrimp (/thread-1176.html)

- Drew - 08-03-2005

Here's a recipe that we prepare often at the beach which pairs well with Sauvignon Blanc.

Mackey’s Garlic Shrimp

Shrimp (8-10 medium per person)
Garlic (as much as you want)
Julienne shallots (2 per serving)
Butter (at least 1/2 stick)
White wine (enough to make a sauce after reduction)
Salt
Pepper
Grilled French bread (halved and cut on bias for individual servings)

Sauté shallots and garlic till tender in butter, add white wine and reduce. Add shrimp and cook for several minutes. Salt and pepper to taste…pour over grilled (we like it crunchy) French bread and serve. Can be made with a little cream or half n half if desired (we like that). Add a piece of Buerre blanc (butter with flour) to thicken if desired at end. For a twist, and we love this, julienne a colorful pepper (red, yellow or orange) and saute with the shallots and garlic in the beginning. Serve with a salad for a complete meal...realllly goooood!

Hints - don't be stingy with the shallots...a lot wont overpower the dish. Play with this recipe and add whatever and adjust the thickness of sauce to your liking.

Drew

- hotwine - 08-03-2005

Dang, that one sure gets my attention! Thanks, Drew!

Need to find some more SB's... only have a few KJ's left over from one of her artsy thingies last year, and that recipe sounds like it deserves a Loire.

- wdonovan - 08-03-2005

I read the first sentence a little fast and, because of the beach reference, thought this was a BBQ recipe. Apparently not but.... how about this twist? Omit the cream and make the sauce in the morning, marinate the shrimp (on skewers) in it all day in the fridge. At dinner time, BBQ the shrimp on a medium grill, thicken and enrichen the sauce with cream, serve over the toasted bread.
Actually, left to my own methods, I'd make a double batch of sauce ahead of time, one with cream, one without for the marinade. It might add a nice contrast having virgin sauce that hasn't known shrimp to serve over top.

- Drew - 08-03-2005

Anything with shrimp and garlic and I'm there. This is one of those WOW recipes that takes minutes to prepare and always pleases. Mackeys is a restaurant in Ocean City Maryland that prepares this as an appetizer.

Drew

- robr - 08-03-2005

"Anything with shrimp and garlic and I'm there."

Me too. I had a shrimp appetizer at a local restaurant last week -- oak grilled large shrimp on top of garlic bread with an avacado-garlic mayonaisse type sauce for dipping, with top shelf chardonnay. Yum.

Which brings me to a question. I really enjoy chardonnay, and I have also tasted pinot grigio (which reminded me of a weak chardonnay), and I have tried sauvegnon blanc, but find it too acidic.

My digestive system tends towards acid, and I sometimes get a number of interesting and uncomfortable maladies, like severe acid reflux, sore spots on the edges of my toungue and inside my cheeks, etc.

Can anyone suggest any remedy, other than taking Raninidine (Zantac 75/150) or just not drinking wine for a few days? I already do those two. Also, any suggestions on other white wines I should try?

- Kcwhippet - 08-03-2005

Had a great shrimp dish at an Italian resto last eve. It was grilled shrimp in a tomato vodka sauce with asparagus, snow peas, fresh tomato and a lot of seriously large garlic chunks over artichoke ravioli. Since this is one of the few BYOB's in MA (no liquor license) we brought a Viansa La Nebbia and it went fabulously. Oh yeah, Judy had her usual Veal Parm and the marinara sauce was great. I sure do love shrimp and garlic.

- hotwine - 08-03-2005

Robr, your question was answered in the Novice thread.

- Innkeeper - 08-03-2005

I love shrimp as much or more than anybody, but have had some lately that was just plain horrid, and I don't think it anything to do with freshness. Then I saw a thread over on the Food Lovers Page entitled "Where is the shrimp coming from." It is a real eye opener, and well worth researching.