WineBoard
Blachon Saint-Joseph 1996 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Rhone/South of France/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: Blachon Saint-Joseph 1996 (/thread-11708.html)

- zenda2 - 11-09-2001

Got my first Saint-Joseph on sale yesterday for $10, fixing to pop this bad boy for dinner tonight. I went looking for it after reading that Blachon has some good vineyards in Saint-Joseph, a mostly ignored appellation in the Northern Rhone. Knowing that the northern Rhone only allows syrah for red wines and since I love syrah and since $10 is certainly in my price range...let's say it's fun being a wine detective. Here's hoping my homework pays off, tasting notes later!

- zenda2 - 11-10-2001

Oh yeah, this one was a heckuva buy. Color, deep garnet. Nose, vanilla, spices, raspberry, bread. Taste is dark fruits, cherries, berries, bacon (?) touch of anise or licorice. Tasted with my garlicky meatloaf and potatoes au gratin.

This one is some good syrah for not much money, y'all rhone fans keep an eye peeled.

- mrdutton - 11-10-2001

Sounds like this bottle of juice is something that might be right for me! I really enjoy the juice from the Rhone.

- zenda2 - 11-11-2001

Mr. D, I really think you'll enjoy it, and hope you'll track down a good bargain bottle of Saint-Joseph. Wine from the northern Rhone can be pretty spendy, but from all I've read Saint-Joseph wine isn't as expensive as Hermitage, or even the Crozes-Hermitage for several reasons:

Location: S-J is across the river, it isn't grown on those legendary terraced hillsides around Hermitage, so it's not as concentrated, not as powerful as Hermitage.

Reputation: the hills are not as steep, the grapes are easier to grow, the juice is not as powerful, so the rep suffers compared to the grapes across the river. And truth to tell, there are some growers in Saint-Joseph who produce too many grapes, make some thin wine. BUT...just because it's not 'the worlds most famous syrah' doesn't mean it's all bad juice. It's just not instantly the worlds best. Is this bottle of Blachon worth a ten spot? Dang tootin' it is.

Amount: The Saint-Joseph appellation extends, off and on, for about 30 miles. There can be a lot of grapes grown there. This leads to lower prices. The appellation, compared to the Hermitage zone, is immense.

The trick is to find a Saint-Joseph producer or two who care about their wine, and then give it a try. I've read good reports on Roger Blachon, and I'm certainly happy with this bottle at this price. In fact, bowled over, planning to go back and buy lots more while the store still has it.

The 'vintage charts' indicate the '96 wasn't a really great year in the Northern Rhone, compared to some of the recent good harvests, and that suits me...I want something to drink soon, not another bottle to hide for 10 years.

- zenda2 - 11-16-2001

Went back and spent a big chunk of this months wine budget on several more of these yummy St.-Joe's. The wine merchant said he'd gotten a deal on these at half price from the distributor. I love it when they "screw the other guy and pass the savings on to me".