WineBoard
Fat Bastard - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Rhone/South of France/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: Fat Bastard (/thread-11646.html)

- mrdutton - 04-13-2000

I thought it might be better to make this a new topic instead of an add-on.

I recently traveled to the Tampa, Florida area where I managed to find a wine store with a tremendous selection of wines (Which is an unlikey occurence here in south-eastern Virginia. However, they did not have the 1997 Rosemount GSM yet. But not to worry because it is not in south-eastern Virginia either).

I purchased a bottle of 1998 Fat Bastard.

Here is my question: What do you think, should I drink it now or should I set it aside for 3 to 7 years or whatever number of years might be appropriate?

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 04-13-2000).]

- Innkeeper - 11-06-2000

Well, we uncorked one last night. Officially it was a 1998 Thierry and Guy, Fat Bastard, Syrah, Vin de Pays D'oc. Beautiful purplish red to the eye, and beguiling to the sniffer. Lots of fruit and spice upfront, smooth tannin and a hint of oak in the middle, and slightly rough on the finish. Matched it with grillpanned stip steaks that were marinated in cabernet, patted dry and rubbed with olive oil and Morton seasoning rub beforehand. Steaks were covered with white mushrooms sauteed in butter and olive oil, heavily seasoned, and finished with Worchestershire and cabernet. Served with salad of greens, avocado, and cherry tomatoes with raspberry-hazelnut vinaigrette. Not enough acid in the wine to wash well with the salad, but it married smartly with the steak and mushrooms. Don't think the wine would improve much with age, but it is fine the way it is.

- Drew - 11-06-2000

I agree, IK, we've gone thru a bunch of Fat Bastards and I think this wine is a drink me now. It is also a meat wine matching well with steaks, roasts and venison that I've prepared. Also found 1hr decanted opened the wine beautifully. I thought this wine finished with an abundance of pepper....maybe too much? Mike, whad ya pay for the wine in Florida?

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 11-06-2000).]

- mrdutton - 11-06-2000

Drew,

I don't honestly remember - but it was not too awful much because I don't remember turning white when I signed the credit slip.

I want to say somewhere about 15.00 to 20.00.

Mike

- fat bastard - 01-25-2001

Does anyone know where I can find fat bastard wine's. Or atleast a website for the company???

- winoweenie - 01-25-2001

MrD, You Called? You mispelled the last name howm-so-ebberini. It`s Batchelor. hehehe WWFB

- hotwine - 01-25-2001

IK, love that menu! BEEF!

- mrdutton - 01-25-2001

To the person from Amelia Island, Florida. Jax has enough fine wine shops that a search of the yellow pages should find you some Fat Bastard.

If that does not work, then get ye to the west coast and check out B-21 Wines and Spirits outside of Tarpon Springs, Florida. They have a web site: www.b21.com

This I know because I use the store when I go to New Port Richey for the winter months. Will be there in March. They always have Fat Bastard on their shelves.

However you should be able to find it in Jax, I would think.

For WWFB and Hotwine........ Huh?

- Drew - 01-25-2001

Hey fat bastard! Welcome to the board.
Here's an excerpt of the "Fat Bastard" wines.

Big is Beautiful...
After one exceptionally long afternoon in the tasting room at the Gabriel Meffre winery, two of the partners, Guy Anderson and Thierry Boudinaud (who is also the principal winemaker) became very excited by the quality this particular batch of Chardonnay. During the last few years, many of the Chardonnays were developing to an excellent standard but upon tasting this blend, it was clear that it was full of ripe fruit flavor: round, rich, creamy and very big.

There is an especially apt British expression that describes a full, rich Chardonnay and that’s exactly how Theirry Boudinaud talked about the wine with a French accent of course;
"Zis is a rrreal Fat Bastard of a Chardonnay!"
For the next six months they tried to think up another name, but came to the conclusion that if there can be a Batard (French for bastard) Monrachet in Burgundy, then why can’t the Languedoc region in Southern France have a Fat Bastard Chardonnay?? It's as simple as that.

THIERRY and GUY
FAT bastard
SYRAH 1998

BACKGROUND
The syrah grape was first discovered in the ancient Persian city of Shiraz and then imported by sailors navigating the Rhone on their way to Lyon. Syrah is the only red variety in the northern Rhone region and is considered very adaptable to the Mediterranean microclimate and terroir of this area.

Tire winemaking process involves rigorous selection of the best parcels of fruit and the limited number of grape clusters per vine. Picking starts at optimum ripeness by machine harvesting to ensure timely transport for crush Fermentation takes place for about 18 days with pumping occurring twice daily. According to the winemaker's discretion, press wines will be partially or completely reintegrated in the final blend A portion of the mixture is aged 6 months in new American oak barrels and then a final blend of oaked and unoaked Syrah is bottled and aged.

100% Syrah
Alcohol 12%
750 ml

WINEMAKER NOTES
Visually, this wine shows deep purple with a good intensity; the nose shows time classic Syrah characteristics of spice and round fruit. Weighty on the palate with a presence of firm tannins that round out to reveal vanilla hints from the oak.

I can't find a web site for Thierry and Guy....hope this helps! Also, Mike and IK, I agree with the low acid and also feel this is a drink me now wine.

Drew

- Drew - 09-14-2001

Popped the 1999 version last week and forgot to post. Lighter purple with a tint of red. Strange nose of black fruit,earth and a sharp chocolate/fresh cut wood scent that was off putting. Light flavors of mature plum, mushroom and a little chocolate. Not as nice as the '98. 12.5%Alc/vol. $9.99 Not good QPR IMO.

Drew