WineBoard
1998 Bianchi Syrah - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Rhone/South of France/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: 1998 Bianchi Syrah (/thread-11635.html)

- winoweenie - 07-27-2003

IK, you'ses' gonna' like this stuff. Post tasting notes when you get yours as I'm bushed and the memorys' the 2nd thing to go. WW

- joeyz6 - 07-27-2003

Is this the stuff from Roberto? I thought it was pretty tasty. I would have chosen it as the red wine for my brother's wedding, but I think it's just a little too big for the salmon.

- winoweenie - 07-28-2003

Yeppo Joey. That be the juice. WW

- Innkeeper - 07-28-2003

Tried our first Bianchi last night after trying the 2000 Pepperwood Grove the night before (see Best Buys under Drew's 1999 post). Don't want to get in trouble with anyone, but this is a very close call. When you add the S&H into the cost of the Bianchi the total cost of both is almost the same. The Pepperwood was more impressive with the jam upfront (understand that some don't care for this); and the Bianchi showed more class and complexity across the palate. Both finished much the same. We are looking forward to finishing our remaining 11 Bianchi's. For those who missed out on it, look for the Pepperwood Grove.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 07-29-2003).]

- Botafogo - 07-28-2003

Fair enough, IK, but a LOT of folks are getting that stuff for just $5.99 (and now for $5.31 with our tenth anniversary sale) making it a definite value candidate...

six days to Rio, can I just sleep till Sunday, Roberto

- Innkeeper - 08-06-2003

Popped second bottle last night with lamburgers and wax beans. Seemed much better when it wasn't back to back with the Pepperwood Grove. And, still got ten to enjoy.

- Innkeeper - 09-30-2003

Definitely our lamburger wine of choice these days. Seems to be fleshing out even more. Decanted it a mere fifteen minutes before dinner last night, and it filled the room with that wonderful syrah aroma before we sat down.

- Innkeeper - 11-06-2003

Just when I thought the refer was pretty well cleaned out I found a custard dish in the back with some red stuff in it. It was in good shape (no mold), so asked Mother if she knew what it was. She said she thought it was BBQ sauce rather than one of Italian origin. So last night I grillpanned a couple of boneless pork chops and lathered them with the sauce that had been warmed up in the microwave. It was awesome. Don't know how long it fermented back there, but must have been several months.

We were a little low on approacable zin, and didn't want to go with a monster like Easton Fiddlehead, so we popped a Bianchi Syrah with it. Wonderful.

- Thomas - 11-06-2003

You are fearless!

- Innkeeper - 11-25-2003

Still had some leftover aioli in the fridge last night along with some fresh ground lamb. Thought, gee lamb and garlic go together. The Bianchi went just fine with the lamburgers napped with aioli.

- Innkeeper - 03-18-2004

We popped the last one in the box tonight. Many thanks and kudos to Roberto. It was just as nice, if not a tad bit better than the first one. We enjoyed it with something we call Kielbasa in Red Wine (OK for you Atkins folks). We braised it in Yellowtail Shiraz.

1 lb Kielbasa (preferably fresh or homemade*)
2 T Butter
1/3 C Scallions coarsly chopped
3/4 C Yellowtail (or all of a 187 ml)
1/3 C Minced parsley

Melt butter over medium heat in an enameled skillet. Toss in scallions and then add the Keilbasa. Brown sausage on both sides. Add wine, cover, and lower heat to a simmer. Simmer for an hour, turning halfway. Remove meat to a warm platter, and slice while reducing liquid by one half with the parsley in it. Pour over sliced meat and serve. This will serve two or three. We used to make twice this size to feed our family of six while kids were growing up. They still make it for their families.

* If you want to make your own, check out: http://wines.com/ubb2/Forum30/HTML/000149.html