WineBoard
Best under 15$ retail - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Rhone/South of France/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: Best under 15$ retail (/thread-11592.html)

- summa - 08-16-2001

Ok our restaurant is going country french, so what are the good ones from the Rhone or Languedoc-Roussillon for under $15 retail?

- Innkeeper - 08-16-2001

Almost any C-D-R or C-D-R-V from '98 or '99 you can get your hands on. Go back on this thread to "Show All Topics" and get four pages of wonderful specific suggestions.

- hotwine - 08-16-2001

Assume you mean Syrah? They are legion, Summa. Search this topic for the last year and you'll find lots. Some that we enjoy in our house include Ch. de Campuget (Languedoc), Les Amandiers VdP de Vaucluse, Dom. d'Andezon, Parallel 45, La Veille Ferme (Rhones). And the Pinot Noir from Maison Nicolas that I've touted elsewhere on the board is a VdP d'Oc. All are less than $10 retail. The only VdP d'Oc I've had in the past year that I wouldn't buy again was Duboeuf's Merlot varietal; as a wine, it's probably a better paint-stripper.

- Scoop - 08-16-2001

A few more (of many) to consider:

Oratoire St. Martin, Cairanne Prestige 1997 (or 1998)

Domaine du Pesquier, CDR, 1998

Clavel, Les Garrigues, Coteaux du Languedoc (?) 1998

Domaine de la Tuliere, Cotes du Ventoux, 1999

Domaine de la Mordoree, CDR, 1998

- zenda2 - 08-16-2001

I've heard good things about the 1998 Chateau Mont Redon Cotes du Rhone, just found some hidden away today. I'll report in asap. I've also got their '99 down in the cellar, will try to find it and compare.

- Drew - 08-16-2001

'98 Ch. de la Negly, Languedoc, is very enjoyable.

Drew

- barnesy - 08-17-2001

I Agree with Scoop on the Oratoire St. Martin. My shop carries several and they are smooth. My pick is Domaine Alary, also from the Cairanne region. In fact, I think they are related to the folks at Oratoire St. Martin. the Domaine Alary La Brunote CDRV is AWESOME.

Barnesy

- summa - 08-19-2001

Thanks guys, I'd also not thought to go back through the thread for the year, I'll do that soon

- zenda2 - 12-28-2002

Summa may be gone, but does anyone have any updates they'd like to add here?

- Drew - 12-28-2002

Zenda, try to find the 2000 Chateau Mont-Redon CDR, it's a beautiful wine for $10 or less.

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 12-28-2002).]

- Innkeeper - 12-28-2002

McDowell, Mendocino, Syrah ($11); Pager, California, Syrah ($12.99); Domaine Lou Peyrilhe, Pic Poul De Pinet, Conteaux Du Languedoc ($10), white; Domaine De Entrefaux, Crozes-Hermitage (12); Bogel, California, Petite Sirah ($9); Du Pelouz, Les Chanterelles, Vin de Pays, Grenache-Sauvignon ($10) white.

- joeyz6 - 12-28-2002

I have tasting notes back in France and will post some of them when I get back (I'm in Chicago with the fam for the week). I have found some awesome Rhones that are actually all under 10 euros.

- eskinnyc - 01-02-2003

The Perrin Reserve CDR rouge (~$9) is one of my favorites. Its got a simple, unpretentious style, but is easy-drinking, delicious, and goes with a wide range of foods. Personally I prefer it over the more well known E. Guigal, which is decent.

Availibility is usually pretty good.

- stevebody - 01-13-2003

Domaine de Lavabre Lang-Rous, Le Sang de Cailloux Vacqueyras, the brilliant and aforementioned D-Andezon, Mas de Ayvelans Syrah, Domaine du Pesquier Les Terrasses (awesome!) That'll get you started.

- Bucko - 01-14-2003

*Le Sang de Cailloux Vacqueyras*

Unfortunately, this one has gotten popular and the price has risen accordingly. I have a few in the cellar.

- zenda2 - 02-14-2003

Local retailer ran a sale on 2000 Guigal CdR last week, I picked up a few @ $7.50 each. Tastes like I got a bargain at this price.

Color = deep garnet
Nose = dark summer fruits + pepper
Taste = repeat of the black pepper + blackberries, nice level of acidity. It went well with the Humbolt Fog, Brie, summersausage & cubes of ciabatta that I set out with it. Will try the last half tonite with a garlicky chicken and barley casserole.

Nothing too complex, but plenty of flavor and zing. I wish I'd bought a few more.

- mrdutton - 02-14-2003

For the past three years I have found that drinking red wine with a label that reads "Guigal" is a pleasing experience.

Does not seem to matter if the label includes CDR or Hermitage, the Guigal is good juice at a good price.

And the credit for my introduction to this label goes to IK. Thanks IK!!!

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 02-14-2003).]

- zenda2 - 04-05-2003

The local merchant I mentioned a few lines above is running another sale on Guigal CdR.

I'm heading out the door to continue taking advantage of 'em. I ain't saying they're winning any 'hearts and minds' in this campaign but they're making serious inroads on tastebuds, stomachs & livers. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- wdonovan - 07-08-2005

Pretty sure (from memory, so excuse me if I'm wrong) Guigal makes a pretty friendly pink juice also. Guess I could Google Guigal but I'm kinda busy right now.