WineBoard
straight to hell - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: straight to hell (/thread-1159.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Kcwhippet - 04-12-2006

Mark,

I was wrong when I said we had 30 kosher wines in the shop. Actually, we have more than 40. I'll post the list tomorrow, and it's probably a bit late for those looking for Passover wines but it can serve as a reference for the future. Most of them are very nice wines that I'd serve at home.

- wondersofwine - 04-13-2006

Rabbi Levanon from Beth Israel has done two seder meals with my church (St. Paul's In-the-Pines Episcopal Church) in the past. He also presented one of the lessons when we did an ecumenical series based on Bill Moyers's "Genesis" from PBS. We also had the local imam participating and a Lutheran minister and the priest of an Eastern Orthodox church. I in turn have visited Beth Israel for Holocaust observances and a series on wisdom of the early fathers. I really enjoy learning more about Jewish tradition. This is personal now because my nephew married a Jewish woman and their daughter is being raised in the Jewish faith (although she is also exposed to Christian traditions like the Christmas tree when she visits her grandparents in December.)

- Kcwhippet - 04-13-2006

Okay, as promised here's the list of kosher wines we have in stock. I went through the distributors' lists and found there are over 250 available, so there should be some good kosher wines available just about anywhere. Oh yeah, we also carry Manischewitz and Kedem in several flavors.

J. Furst - CA
Cab Sauv
Chard
Baron Herzog - CA
Cab Sauv
Merlot
White Zin
Chenin Blanc
Sauv Blanc
Chard
Weinstock - CA
Cab Sauv
White Zin
Chard
Alfasi - Chile
Cab Sauv
Chard
Teal Lake - Australia
Cab/Merlot
Shiraz
Shiraz/Cab
Chard
Goose Bay - New Zealand
Sauv Blanc
Bartenura - Italy
Valpolicella
Asti
Moscato
Pinot Grigio
Recanati - Israel
Cab Sauv
Merlot
Sauv Blanc
Chard
Barkan - Israel
Cab Sauv
Chard
Carmel - Israel
Cab Sauv
Merlot
Sparkling
White Zin
Moscato
Chenin Blanc
Sauv Blanc
Chard
Golan - Israel
Cab Sauv
Moscato
Riesling
Yarden - Israel
Cab Sauv
Chard/Sauv Blanc
Sauv Blanc
Riesling

- redsauced - 04-13-2006

A nice little bottle shop near my folks carried a few of those. I chose 1999 Barkan Reserve Merlot. Nice and soft was suitable for the whole family even the teenagers. When the heavier foods hit I went to the the Baron Herzog Cab which displayed the perfect acidity while again being accessible fruit wise. "How could this be Kosher" was heard many times throughout the night. Thanks everyone for the input. And I thought I knew all the Passover lessons to be learned. KC, I will save your list for next year, and I've passed it on to a friend who owns a Deli and is looking for Kosher wines to serve.

- Thomas - 04-13-2006

I believe the word "seder" is interpreted to mean "order" which has to do with the order of each food item during the meal, which must be followed.

- Innkeeper - 04-13-2006

Lamb, unleavened bread, bitter herbs in that order.

- brappy - 04-14-2006

Thanks KC, I appreciate the work you've done. I'll make some calls so I can taste. You've been a great help!

Thanks again,

mark