WineBoard
favorite area in S of France? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Rhone/South of France/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: favorite area in S of France? (/thread-11582.html)

- jackl - 05-28-2003

I like the wines from the Languedoc region of France but I'm having a hard time making much sense out of all the various appelations that make up the area. Having said that, let me put throw out a question to the board. Do you get a feel for the differences in the appelations and if so, which would be your favorite(s). What about quality? Are there any of the areas that stand out to in the way of quality in their winemaking? I guess that's more than one question, but I'd really like to know if anybody has definite opinions or knowledge about this. Thanks, bye.

- Innkeeper - 05-28-2003

There are really two kinds of appellations in the Languedoc. There are the traditional ones such as Saint Chinian, Cotes du Provence, Bandol, and many, many others. Then there are the new ones, which have made the Languedoc a household name abroad. They are the Vins d'Pays. Most of these are vinted for the New World market, while the traditional appellations are definitely Old World.

- jackl - 05-30-2003

Sorry, I should have specified to which I was referring. I was referring to the AOC wines of the region. I have had some of the vin de pays wines but I tend more to the older styler wines. Maybe you could share maybe some of these kind of wines you've had and which areas you prefer over others. Thanks.

- Innkeeper - 05-30-2003

Sorry. I like the Saint Chinians very much. These can vary greatly with in the AOC as many Southern French wines can. They can contain one or more of the following: mourvedre, grenache, and syrah. Have had them everyway from Saturday, but have enjoyed them all. If you can't find details on front or back of the bottle, ask your retailer. If he doesn't know he can look it up on his distributors website.

I also love Cotes Du Provence both red and rose'. Unfortunately I always remember that I paid $.15 (.75 NF) a bottle for them when I was a student at Cannes in the summer of '60! They go for a little more now!

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 05-31-2003).]

- jackl - 05-31-2003

Those sound like a couple I need to try. I´ve seen examples of both wines in the stores but haven´t tried either. Now with your recommendation I have an excuse to try them out. When I´ve sampled one I´ll report back to let you know what I thought. Thanks.

- stevebody - 06-01-2003

I love that obscure little appellation called Pic St. Loup. The wines are big, generous, and graceful and most lead with Mourvedre, which is lovely as the principal grape.

I've also liked the Bandol wines I've tried. I rarely ever sell one but I try frequently. Good, colorful stuff at reasonable prices.