WineBoard
'01 Tobin James Rock-N-Roll Syrah - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Rhone/South of France/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: '01 Tobin James Rock-N-Roll Syrah (/thread-11523.html)

- Innkeeper - 07-16-2004

2001 Tobin James, Paso Robles, Rock-N-Roll, Syrah ($18 at winery). Alcohol 14.9%. It keeps getting better and better, year after year. This is the best one they've cranked out. Winemakers notes are: "Berries and smoke, with a wild spicy finish." In the May '04 "Food & Wine" Richard Nalley called it one of his top ten current Paso Robles releases; saying, "Sappy, fruity, and smooth." Agree will all the above and also agree with Nally that you don't even notice the high alcohol because of all else that is going on. Decent level of acidity too, gives it balance for aging, which I doubt we'll do!

Matched it with smoked baby back ribs in Carolina Red Sauce. More than slightly fantastic!

- winoweenie - 07-16-2004

My pack-mule still hasn't delivered my spring allotmewnt. He lives about a mile from me so guess I COULD go pick it up. When and IF I ever get off'n this !@#$%^&*()_+ sabbatical I' ll dive into it. WW

- Drew - 07-16-2004

Now, now....not nice to tempt mother nature!! Don't be grumpy.

Drew

- californiagirl - 07-16-2004

Well WW, at least you have it! I joined too late, and even though the spring shipment hadn't been sent yet, it was already sold out. I have to wait for the fall shipment. Shucks.

- winoweenie - 07-16-2004

Grumpy be GOOD!!!WW

- Innkeeper - 09-09-2004

Popped another tonight. Matched it with broiled loin lamb chops, and eggplant salad. It hardly gets any better.

CG, you can go to their website: http://www.tobinjames.com/about.asp and order anything available anytime, and they will ship to you free since you live in California. I'm going to order a mixed case even befor the fall shipment, and pay for the shipping.

- californiagirl - 09-09-2004

Good idea IK- You've been posting quite a bit on the TJ wines, and after the tasting KC and I went to, I've been willing the fall shipment to be sent early. I'm going to check out the web-site now.

Thanks!

- Innkeeper - 10-28-2004

On Tuesday I picked up a spring lamb that a local farmer raised for us and had "processed" at at meatpacker in Albian. By the time I got it, it was in wrapped frozen pieces that I brought home in coolers. The whole deal cost $103. Last night we had broiled double rib chops. Just great with our last '01 R&R. Finished it while watching the Sox sweep!

P.S. Anybody want any lamb liver, kidneys, and heart?

- hotwine - 10-28-2004

Good luck in finding a home for that stuff, IK. I've still got some similar pieces-parts in the freezer from beeves we (otherwise) finished off 4-5 years ago. Keep forgetting to dig it out on garbage days.

- californiagirl - 12-07-2004

Ya'll are gonna think I'm crazy... but I paired this tonite with chicken enchiladas with red sauce and mexican rice. (Nothing overly hot, just good spices going on.)

I really enjoyed it! Very fruity wine. Jam-like qualities, but not sweet. Med tannins- didn't note the alc% on the bottle, but I think IK did. This is a yummy wine! I could drink this as an everyday wine along with my Excelsior Cab

- wondersofwine - 12-08-2004

I don't think that's crazy at all considering the spices in the chicken dish.

RE: '01 Tobin James Rock-N-Roll Syrah - Innkeeper - 08-31-2013

'09 Rock-n-Roll Syrah. We drank the first of four that we acquired recently. The alcohol level is now: 15.4%, but the price is still $18.

It is still a balanced wine despite the above. And it is still luscious. We enjoyed it tonight with steak tips teriyaki grilled over charcoal and black cherry chips; along with corn on the cob, and a wonderful salad mostly from our garden with creamy goat cheese dressing.

RE: '01 Tobin James Rock-N-Roll Syrah - Innkeeper - 09-30-2013

Another '09 tonight. It is a wonderful wine with fruit and spice. We matched with St Louis ribs, smoked for four hours over hickory chips in an electric water smoker. They were then soaked in our tangy BBQ sauce; along with delicata squash baked with butter, salt, pepper, and nutmeg; and salad mostly from our garden. Yum.

RE: '01 Tobin James Rock-N-Roll Syrah - Innkeeper - 05-20-2014

Popped a 2010 tonight. It was simply wonderful with lamb loin chops grilled over charcoal and pecan chips; with farro salad, and eggplant salad for sides. Yum!

RE: '01 Tobin James Rock-N-Roll Syrah - Innkeeper - 11-12-2014

Tonight we thoroughly enjoyed the 2011 Rock-N-Roll. We matched it with grilled, yes grilled on November 12th, over charcoal and wild cherry chips, steak ends Teriyaki; along with baked sweet potatoes, and sliced tomatoes (from our garden). Yum!

RE: '01 Tobin James Rock-N-Roll Syrah - Innkeeper - 05-23-2015

Acquired a few more elebens. Popped one tonight and as usual it gave berries and smoke with a wild spicy finish. Drank half a bottle with rib steak grilled over charcoal and mesquite chips, baked sweet potato, and tossed salad. Yum.

Tomorrow the other half will go grilled lamb rib chops. True Love isn't drinking red wine at this time; thus the half bottles!