WineBoard
Coat of the Roan - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Rhone/South of France/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: Coat of the Roan (/thread-11400.html)

- Innkeeper - 03-03-2004

Has anyone had or even heard of a new wine from Phil Staley called Coat of the Roan? It is not on his website, and Wine-Searcher and Google have not heard of it. My winebroaker Craig, who has never given me a bum steer, and who has sold me enough Marietta Old Vine Red Lot XX to float the Missouri, says the Staley wine is better. Can guess, but don’t know what grapes are in it. It sells for $12, has an alcohol level of 14.5% and the vintage is “Foal One.” If I don’t hear from anybody, after a rest of ten days or so, will pop one and let you know.

- Innkeeper - 04-29-2004

Still no info on this one. Google only mentions a few people who tried it, and an award it won, but no details. Still not on Phil's website. So, what the hell, we popped one last night with broiled lamb chops. It was lovely, loaded with fruit with a little spice. Have to admit that it is less like a CDR than it is like a California field red made with Rhone varietals. Very interesting wine. If you happen to run across it, give it a shot.

- Innkeeper - 06-03-2004

Enjoyed another bottle tonight with oven baked (for a long time) boneless country ribs in our tangy barbeque sauce (not too spicy or hot), and salad in blue cheese dressing. Wonderful. If we had used the spicy/hot one, we would have gone with a big zin. Here is the sauce we used on Memorial Day and tonight. It can be halved, and we did and usually do.

TANGY BARBEQUE SAUCE:

1 C Ketchup
½ C Honey (or equivalent sweetener)
1 Stick butter
2 T Lemon juice
1 T Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp Crushed garlic
1 tsp Lawry salt
1 tsp Ground cumin
½ tsp Ground pepper
¼ tsp Granulated garlic (garlic powder)

Put all ingredients into a sauce pan, and heat until butter melts. Lather on freshly grilled meat or fish. It will burn quickly if used on grill. Sprinkle dish with chopped fresh or dry cilantro.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 06-03-2004).]

- Innkeeper - 07-13-2004

Found this on my WP. It predated my purchase of the Coat of the Roan by a year or so. It describes it perfectly. Cannot remember where it came from and could not find it on this board despite several searches:

"Red Wine of the Night: This was a real tough choice as so many of the wines were just perfect. The nod has to go to a new $10-12 red that remains unnamed by Philip Staley. The wine, which contains all estate-grown fruit from the Petaluma region of Sonoma County was in a word, amazing. I don't think I've tasted a new wine like this since I tried the new wines from Sylvain Fadat of Domaine d'Aupilhac in the Languedoc. And, that should come as no surprise as both wines share the liberal use of old vines Carignane, despite being grown in two different parts of the world.

The new Staley wine that should be in stores by early summer reeks of terroir. A blend of 80 year young Carignane, Syrah and Mourvedre, it is so dense, with earthy, truffle, mushrooms initially engulfing the senses. As it opens it reveals super ripe raspberry, blueberry, truffle and cherry flavors. This is one wine I want to keep an eye out for."

We popped another tonight with grilled brats in mesquite smoke, in rolls with nuked Vidalia onions and mustard, accompanied with salad in vinaigrette dressing. All wonderful.

- Innkeeper - 09-14-2004

Last one tonight; sigh! Will definitely get some of the next foal. Take care everyone.

- Drew - 09-15-2004

Have searched high and low round my parts and nobody has it.....

DRew