WineBoard
choosing wines for a wedding - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: choosing wines for a wedding (/thread-114.html)

- gberish - 07-13-2006

Hello!

I need help in choosing a red, white, and sparkling wine for my upcoming wedding this august. We will be serving a buffet of dishes including beef, pork, chicken, salmon, and seafood. My fiance and I would like to choose wines that complement what is being served w/o digging a hole in our pockets. please help!!!

Also we are thinking of doing sparling wine instead of champange. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

- Innkeeper - 07-13-2006

Hi Gberish and welcome to the Wine Board. Research done a few years ago showed that the best table wines for a crowd with a variety of food were Shiraz and Chardonnay. Many good examples of these and sparkling wines are avaiable in the $10-$12 range.

- dananne - 07-13-2006

Prosecco and Cava are two sparkling wines that are great for large functions like this and will not break your piggybank.

Welcome to the wine board, and congrats on your upcoming nuptuals!

- wondersofwine - 07-13-2006

Also for the sparkling wine consider a New Mexico entry from Gruet. The Blanc de Noir (Chardonnay and Pinot Noir grapes in the blend) is $13 a bottle (probably discounted by the case). So is the non-vintage Brut (probably all white wine grapes). I have not yet tried the Gruet but have seen many favorable reviews. You might want to have a tasting party before the wedding and try a Prosecco, a Cava, a domestic sparkling wine and several red and white choices, perhaps with family members or members of the wedding party. Or, a local retailer might let you sample tastes of several wines before deciding which to purchase.
Happiness to you!

- Innkeeper - 07-13-2006

From recent personal experience I would recommend for the table wines Leasingham, Magnus, Shiraz (52%) Cabernet Sauvignon (48%), Clare Valley; and Toad Hollow, Francine's Selection, Mendocino County, Chardonnay. The Shiraz/Cab is $10 and the Toad Hollow Chard is $12. Both yummy.

- dananne - 07-13-2006

If you decide to go the domestic sparkling route, I would second the rec for Gruet.

- Kcwhippet - 07-13-2006

Make that a third. Very nice sparkler.

- VouvrayHead - 07-13-2006

And a fourth. Had one last week. Good for the mouth and the pocketbook.

- Drew - 07-14-2006

And a fifth, I always have some ready to grab. It's a great sparkler for the money esp. the Blanc de Noir.

Drew

- Kcwhippet - 07-14-2006

The Blanc de Noir is one of the sparklers we're taking to the boat this weekend. Big race - over 40 boats will race across LI sound from CT to NY tomorrow, raft up overnight and race back on Sunday. Good times - more of a party weekend than a real serious race.

- wondersofwine - 07-14-2006

KC, Sounds like the racing my uncle used to do (Riverside, CT Yacht Club). My parents crewed with him once. His ambition was to sail the Newport to Nassau race but he never did that. My cousins living in CT and MA were also into racing, Blue Js, Lightning, etc.

- winoweenie - 07-14-2006

Havw fun. Do you get to steer KC?. They once let me handle the driving at Lake Tahoe and I derned near ran over my eldest daughter. From then onward..I left the driving to them. WW

- Kcwhippet - 07-14-2006

I steer about half the time. Hard to run too many people over in a sailboat, since there aren't too many people swimming in the water 10 miles offshore.

- Innkeeper - 07-14-2006

Used to sail Blue Jays on Manhasset Bay and Long Island Sound as a yut. Later had my own Penguin and sailed it on Hempstead Harbor and Long Island Sound. Also crewed on some bigees, and had some experiences I don't even want to think about any more.

- dananne - 07-14-2006

I used to turn my little Hobie Cat turtle about once a week during summers in Wisconsin growing up.

My dad used to get more than a little tired of coming out to our rescue in the power boat.

So, methinks I should avoid situations where I'm operating a sailboat 10 miles offshore . . .