WineBoard
2001 Crozes Hermitage "Les Jalets," Paul Jaboulet Aine' - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Rhone/South of France/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: 2001 Crozes Hermitage "Les Jalets," Paul Jaboulet Aine' (/thread-11385.html)

- wondersofwine - 10-08-2004

Posted incorrectly in wine/food affinities so I'll start over. $16-$17 12.5% alcohol
Imported by Frederick Wildman and Sons
Jewel tones of purple-red with some brilliance, not dense. Beautiful nose of raspberry and delicate spice notes (cinnamon or nutmeg?) Raspberry and dark currants on the palate. Chewy texture and a bit tart by itself. Nice with a chunk of Dubliner cheese. Best the first night. I recorked and refrigerated overnight but didn't like it as well the second night. Did my opinion change that much or did the wine deteriorate quickly once opened? Not sure. Some wines I like better the second night--especially some Chiantis.
Back label says "soft flavorful wine with rich taste of black currants."

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 10-08-2004).]

- Innkeeper - 10-08-2004

Like to drink these at year five.

- Thraz - 10-09-2004

I loved the 2000, but found it inconsistent - usually really excellent, but perhaps 3-4 bottles that were underwhelming (out of a case). I bought a case of the 2001 on the strength of the 2000, the first one was very good - although not quite as good as a top-form 2000.

- Innkeeper - 10-09-2004

Hi Thraz, and welcome to the Wine Board. Where do you live? If you are close enough, and if you still have some in a couple of years, will be over to have some!

- Thraz - 10-09-2004

Hi, thanks for the welcome. I live in Philadelphia, and I will definitely keep some of the Jalets available! Also, I'm always on the lookout for a recommendation for a good northern Rhone.

[This message has been edited by Thraz (edited 10-09-2004).]

- Thraz - 09-27-2005

Just had another bottle of this, and was very disappointed. I thought the 2000 was inconsistent from bottle to bottle, so maybe this vintage too. I hope that's all it is, because I still have 6 of these to go. Watery, no spice.

- Innkeeper - 09-27-2005

Too bad. Would normally recommend hanging on to the '01s for another year, but sounds like this one isn't going anywhere.

- wondersofwine - 09-27-2005

I believe I have one left. I may hold onto it for a year in case it's in a dumb stage right now.

- Innkeeper - 01-28-2007

We found an '00 in downtown Hookset NH Liq Store for $13.99 a couple of weeks ago. We were filled with trepedation as we have heard tales of bottle variation, corked bottle, and cooked ones as well. The latter was a valid concern as there are many horror stories about the unairconditioned warehouse the NH Liq Commission maintains.

Well guess what? It was lovely. Lots of fresh red and black fruit on the nose and upfront, more fruit with hints of clove and cinnamon in the complexity crossing the palate along with discernable oak and soft grains of tannin. The finish lingered nicely. If they have more when we get back there, will scaff 'em up.

Matched with sauteed loin ends, rolls, and salad. Great Saturday night.

- VouvrayHead - 01-28-2007

I had a really similar experience. Found a single bottle of either '00 or '01 a few months ago, label ripped to hell, small store where the bottle had surely just been sitting upright for years.
marked down to $8, so i got it.
Cork was all beat up and the wine was just excellent.

Anyone tried the '03 yet? I know it's probably not quite ready, but Northern Rhone did better than the South that year, did it not?

- Innkeeper - 01-28-2007

Have seen some disappointing reports on the '02 and '03 both.

- TheEngineer - 01-29-2007

Had only one '01 and it was corked. This one was sourced in Toronto.

http://wines.com/ubb/Forum22/HTML/000526.html