WineBoard
'04 Pepperwood Grove Syrah - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Rhone/South of France/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: '04 Pepperwood Grove Syrah (/thread-11206.html)

- Innkeeper - 06-19-2006

2004 Pepperwood Grove, California, Syrah ($6.71 delivered from Pops). This runs $8.99 in New Hampshire Package Stores. Alcohol level 13.5%. Popped the first one tonight with the last of our last batch of pulled pork BBQ.

We are really going to enjoy the rest of this box this summer. Almost opaque to the eye, it gives you a blast of peppery fruit on the nose and upfront. Amazing spicy complexity across the palate, and a more than decent finish.

When we ordered this, Pops indicated it was out of stock, yet it arrived three days later. It is a great deal if they still have some.

- Innkeeper - 07-02-2006

Another bottle tonight with the following:

This comes from the May '06 Bon Appetit Magazine (Caribbean Issue), but recipe actually come from Spanish Harlem.

Hanger Steaks with 125th St Malanga Mash:

4 10-12oz Hanger Steaks (or skirt steaks) trimmed.
Adobo seasoning (available from Penseys)
1/2 C Orange Juice
1/4 C Lemon Juine
2 Tbl White wine vinegar

Sprinkle steaks heavily on all sides with Adobo seasoning. Mix juice and vinegar together and marinate steak in it for an hour or two. Grill steaks and serve them with mashed malanga or potatoes.

We had it with both tossed and macaroni salads (more summery).

All wonderful!!!

- Innkeeper - 07-04-2006

Second half tonight with grilled salmon, roast baby Yukons, and peas. Yum, yum!

- Innkeeper - 07-30-2006

Whole bottle tonight with grilled boneless pork chops cooked over charcoal with mesquite chips and sloshed with Caroline Red Sauce. Just great with oven roasted baby red potatoes with EVOO, and green beans almondine. Yummy, yummy in my tummy.

- Glass_A_Day - 07-31-2006

I'm convinced. Am going to look for some.

- Innkeeper - 07-31-2006

You shouldn't have a hard time finding it.

Probably drank a little too much yesterday as moi was one hurting dude. On Saturday I joined a couple of daughters and friends (17 men, women, children not counting the three dogs!) on a hike up Red Hill in Center Harbor, NH. The "hill" is really a small mountain. The trail is a steep, very rocky 1.7 mile (each way) affair. Wore good sturdy hiking boots, but still beat the you know what out the footsys, particularly coming down. Could hardly move when getting back to the house. Got into the whirlpool right away, but still hurt in the morning; so I tried the internal alcohol treatment. Feel much better today.

- Innkeeper - 08-27-2006

Great hamburger wine!!!!!!!!

- Innkeeper - 09-27-2006

Passed my VA physical exam today with flying colors including a detailed lab report. On the way home we went by an interesting looking farm stand and picked up some just picked corn and very small zucchini (most unusual for this time of year). That changed our plans for cous-cous with cubed lamb in it. We had already thawed a package of lamb cutlets than we were going to cube, so we grilled them over charcoal with the last of our first package of mesquite chips from a new purveyor.* With the squash and corn, and a half bottle of the Syrah, everything is cool now.

* Bought two bags of mesquite, along with bags of oak, hickory, and peach. The first bag of mesquite had chunks more suitable for gas than charcoal, and second one was fine. Had a lot of trouble with the first bag, practically put the fire out and such. Will try for a refund on the next order.

- Innkeeper - 12-17-2006

Still drinking just fine, thank you. Enjoyed a half bottle of it with sauteed loin ends sprinkeled with Morton Rub, salad and rolls. Yum!

- Glass_A_Day - 12-17-2006

6.99 local. Forgot to grab whence last read. I will surely grab some next time.

- TheEngineer - 12-24-2006

Ah...sorry for the late post on this one. I helped point a friend to buy a few cases in NH at $9 for one and the second was free...ie. $4.50 a bottle. Not sure if that was an instore special. I had told him to go and get it even at $9 a bottle but he found it for $9/2 btls.

- Innkeeper - 12-24-2006

I've been enjoying that sale too. It is in all the NH Liq Stores. You can mix and match Pepperwood's offerings. Since we still have a supply of the Syrah, we've been picking up Pinot, Cab, etc.

- Glass_A_Day - 12-24-2006

Drank up the other night. Very nice for the $.

- Innkeeper - 08-14-2007

As ww would say, "found an orphan last night." It was still altogether and enjoyable with lamb steak in mint/lemon mayo, nuked zucchini, and baguette. Wonderful for a Monday night, or for that matter any night!