WineBoard
2006 Dr Pauly-Bergweiler Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Kabinett - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Germany/Alsace/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: 2006 Dr Pauly-Bergweiler Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Kabinett (/thread-11183.html)

- hotwine - 09-13-2007

From the M-S-R, AP Nr. 2 576 185 056 06. With shrimp stir-fry in EVOO and veggies with garlic bread. Clear, very pale straw color. Nose as espected from a Kabinett but with more than expected sweetness showing. On the palate, ripe sweet fruit. Holy smokes! This dude is sweet! D looked at me over her glass and demanded "What have you done to us?!" She managed to down one small glass during the meal but passed on a second; I had three but failed to finish the bottle. We hadn't had a Riesling in years and are unlikely to again soon, unless serving this as a party wine.... probably its best use in this household. 8.5% alc/vol and $12.99 at Costco. Not a flawed wine, just a style that we no longer enjoy.

- Innkeeper - 09-13-2007

I'm we would have loved it!

- hotwine - 07-17-2009

Finally had a need to try this again, this time with a teriyaki stir-fry sort of dish. And this time, it was on the money, with the wine's flavors nicely juxtaposed to those of the food. Will not give it all away as I had intended, but it still won't occupy a slot in our regular line-up.

- Thomas - 07-17-2009

The teriyaki pairing did it.

Don't write off Riesling because of a too sweet Kabinett.

Grab a hold of some Trockens--I'd recommend Finger Lakes Dry Riesling but knowing where you are, that would be like recommending a site for palm trees in Greenland.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-17-2009).]

- hotwine - 07-17-2009

Thanks Foodie. I see that Spec's in Houston has the Ravines Dry Riesling; will ask D to pick some up on her next trip there.

- Thomas - 07-17-2009

Ah yes, I forgot that Ravines is distributed in Texas. The winemaker used to work in Texas and I believe his wife is from the state.

One caveat: Ravine's Rieslings are bone dry--no more than 3 grams of sugar per liter, always! (that's .3% by volume).

That sometimes means that the wines need to be put down for a little aging, so the acids can integrate. Hope you get one that's at least two years old. I believe the 07 was stellar, but my memory ain't what WW's used to be...

- wondersofwine - 07-17-2009

HW, I just viewed Winedoctor's reports on the 2007 vintage in Nahe and Mosel-Saar-Ruwer districts. While he does mention a few Kabinetts as fleshy, mainly he describes them(especially from the Saar River district) as slatey, minerally, delicate and aromatic. I think 2007 may prove to be a more traditional vintage, and a highly successful one. (He said 2006 in Germany was a questionable vintage full of ups and downs.) You might look for some Saar 2007s such as Egon Muller Scharzoferger or Geltz-Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Riesling Kabinett.

- hotwine - 07-17-2009

Thanks, folks, good suggestions.

- Innkeeper - 07-03-2011

Boy this thing ages wonderfully. We smoked a roaster today, and enjoyed a bottle of it along with sourdough bisquits and salad. Had to armwrestle true love for my share.

- TheEngineer - 07-04-2011

Sounded like the perfect day for this too!

Mike

- Innkeeper - 02-04-2012

We had our last bottle tonight, many thanks to Gil. Every bottle including this one has been getting better, including tonight. These wines age wonderfully. We matched the one tonight with shrimp in lemon/garlic sauce on spaghetti. Fantastic.

- Innkeeper - 05-22-2012

Well the Gilster sent some more; got hims cellar all cleaned out. Popped the first of these last night and enjoyed it with thicky pork chops rubbed with Penseys' PC Seasoning, and grilled over charcoal and hickory chips. Had pilaf and salad as sides. Great way to spend a Monday night!

This wine wears age fantastically.

- hotwine - 05-22-2012

Glad to hear it still works for ya, IK (and didn't cook en route).

- TheEngineer - 05-22-2012

Maybe time to start looking into the '06's Smile Summers coming and could use some of these.

- Innkeeper - 06-23-2012

We popped yet another tonight with Turkey Tetrazzini. It is still in top form if not better than ever. It ages beautifully.

RE: 2006 Dr Pauly-Bergweiler Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Kabinett - Innkeeper - 12-22-2012

Popped yet another tonight. It does keep getting better and better. Fully mature now, more like a spatlese; but no petro on the nose yet.

Matched it with sautéed boneless pork chops, oven roasted thick potato slices, and spinach. Lovely Saturday night ahead of Christmas.

RE: 2006 Dr Pauly-Bergweiler Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Kabinett - TheEngineer - 12-26-2012

I miss my rieslings!!!! I need to go home!!

RE: 2006 Dr Pauly-Bergweiler Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Kabinett - Innkeeper - 04-16-2013

The very last one last night, and the best. We enjoyed it with sautéed pork chops, mashed potatoes and gravy, and green beans almandine. Wonderful!!!