WineBoard
2006 Dr Pauly-Bergweiler Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Kabinett - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (http://wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (/forumdisplay.php?fid=200)
+--- Forum: Germany/Alsace/Wines/Varieties (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: 2006 Dr Pauly-Bergweiler Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Kabinett (/showthread.php?tid=11183)

Pages: 1 2

- hotwine - 09-13-2007 11:27 AM

From the M-S-R, AP Nr. 2 576 185 056 06. With shrimp stir-fry in EVOO and veggies with garlic bread. Clear, very pale straw color. Nose as espected from a Kabinett but with more than expected sweetness showing. On the palate, ripe sweet fruit. Holy smokes! This dude is sweet! D looked at me over her glass and demanded "What have you done to us?!" She managed to down one small glass during the meal but passed on a second; I had three but failed to finish the bottle. We hadn't had a Riesling in years and are unlikely to again soon, unless serving this as a party wine.... probably its best use in this household. 8.5% alc/vol and $12.99 at Costco. Not a flawed wine, just a style that we no longer enjoy.

- Innkeeper - 09-13-2007 11:52 AM

I'm we would have loved it!

- hotwine - 07-17-2009 10:12 AM

Finally had a need to try this again, this time with a teriyaki stir-fry sort of dish. And this time, it was on the money, with the wine's flavors nicely juxtaposed to those of the food. Will not give it all away as I had intended, but it still won't occupy a slot in our regular line-up.

- Thomas - 07-17-2009 10:56 AM

The teriyaki pairing did it.

Don't write off Riesling because of a too sweet Kabinett.

Grab a hold of some Trockens--I'd recommend Finger Lakes Dry Riesling but knowing where you are, that would be like recommending a site for palm trees in Greenland.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-17-2009).]

- hotwine - 07-17-2009 12:26 PM

Thanks Foodie. I see that Spec's in Houston has the Ravines Dry Riesling; will ask D to pick some up on her next trip there.

- Thomas - 07-17-2009 04:33 PM

Ah yes, I forgot that Ravines is distributed in Texas. The winemaker used to work in Texas and I believe his wife is from the state.

One caveat: Ravine's Rieslings are bone dry--no more than 3 grams of sugar per liter, always! (that's .3% by volume).

That sometimes means that the wines need to be put down for a little aging, so the acids can integrate. Hope you get one that's at least two years old. I believe the 07 was stellar, but my memory ain't what WW's used to be...

- wondersofwine - 07-17-2009 05:04 PM

HW, I just viewed Winedoctor's reports on the 2007 vintage in Nahe and Mosel-Saar-Ruwer districts. While he does mention a few Kabinetts as fleshy, mainly he describes them(especially from the Saar River district) as slatey, minerally, delicate and aromatic. I think 2007 may prove to be a more traditional vintage, and a highly successful one. (He said 2006 in Germany was a questionable vintage full of ups and downs.) You might look for some Saar 2007s such as Egon Muller Scharzoferger or Geltz-Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Riesling Kabinett.

- hotwine - 07-17-2009 08:05 PM

Thanks, folks, good suggestions.

- Innkeeper - 07-03-2011 10:30 PM

Boy this thing ages wonderfully. We smoked a roaster today, and enjoyed a bottle of it along with sourdough bisquits and salad. Had to armwrestle true love for my share.

- TheEngineer - 07-04-2011 10:12 PM

Sounded like the perfect day for this too!

Mike