WineBoard
1976 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Germany/Alsace/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: 1976 (/thread-11165.html)

- Robban - 09-26-1999

While traveling in Rhein Pfalz (Palatine) a few weeks ago I stumbled upon an winery which still had a selection of 1976s; two Reislings and one Gewurtstraminer (Auslese) and one Reisling (Beerenauslese).

I was not aware of 76's still being available but here they were, in one of Pfalz most prestigeous villages. The 76's
I had some years ago were the best wines of that type I have ever had the pleasure to imbibe.

I, of course bought a few and having replenished my supply of German Marks returned the next day to buy a few more.

We are letting them rest after the trip - but I am wondering if they have held in that 76's may just have passed their prime. The Beerenauslese will probably be excellent but we are somewhat curious as to the Auslese, especially the Rieslings.

Any hints or comments out there?

- Bucko - 09-26-1999

Drink up!! I just finished my JJ Prum Auslese 76ers -- they are getting long in the tooth.

Bucko

- Randy Caparoso - 09-27-1999

Hot year, considerable botrytis (the mold that concentrates grapes), and lower than normal acidity added up to a year of rich, immensely aromatic and friendly wines all over Germany. Unfortunately, the acidity and tilt towards botrytis made most of the wines from that vintage best to drink within 10 years (with the exception of just a few Mosel-Saar-Ruwers). For the Pfalz, '76 is a tad old. The better wines may be hanging by a thread, but they certainly are not getting better. Drink and enjoy -- for sentiment as much as interest.

- Robban - 09-27-1999

Interesting hearing your opinions. The consensus seems to be drink up - to which I agree. My most recent meetings with 76's was in 1992 when they were absolutly excellent. Since then I have not stumbled upon them anywhere.

Having been there many times I find collecting wines in the Pfalz quite interesting and very inexpensive. I found that when in California in 1996 that wines seemed to cost more at the winery than in the shops. Germany is still just the opposite. Average wines are from 5-7 marks and good wines from 7-12 marks. Excellent wines, well...they are excellent and cost thereafter.

From Forst, Deidesheim and Ruppertburg very good ausleses at about 10 DEM and Beerenausleses (full bottles) for 19 DEM.

1986 Spätlese Bronze medel for 6 DEM.

My 1976s cost 19 - 20 - 21 DEM except for the full bottle Beerenauslese at 35 DEM.

And so we filled up the car and replenished our celler of German whites.

This year it was very HOT now in september. The grapes were beginning to dry out - watering is prohibited. Too early to say but in Deidesheim they hoped for a good vintage.

- Randy Caparoso - 09-27-1999

Frankly, I think you may be short changing yourself by fixating on '76s. If you check with the producers themselves, they're likely to say that among older vintages, the '71s and '75s are superior. They're certainly drinking better than the '76s right now, in spite of their more advanced age. The '80s are generally hit and miss, but among recent yet not current vintages, it's hard to go wrong with good late harvest styles from '95 and '92. '96s and '97s, of course, are perfectly fine; the '98s brighter, and the upcoming '99 is supposed to be extremely good (at least according to sales directer Gunther Hauck of Basserman-Jordan).

Speaking of which, the producer is nearly as important in the Pfalz; especially since the great vineyards around of Deidesheim and Forst are uniformly great in the top years. Bassermann-Jordan is my favorite because the wines are so bright and energetic, although von Buhl and Dr. Burklin Wolf are certainly right behind.

- Robban - 09-28-1999

I certainly agree with you, Randy. We certainly purchased much more than these 76's. I saw them as "old friends" whom I had not expected to ever see again. I shall look up Basserman-Jordan next trip. We did visit von Buhl but Dr. Burklin Wolf we passed up this trip.

We shall see how the 99's will be. They have now had their long awaited rain in Pfalz this week. If that is good or bad remains to be seen.

We bought quite a few so this winter will be a good "tasting winter" for us.

Appreciate you comments. Nice to see this part of the wines.com coming alive at any rate.

- Randy Caparoso - 09-28-1999

Okay. I got cut off in my last note, and had meant to mention Weingut Pfeffingen, who specialize in wines around Ungstein. Have you tried those? They make wonderful Riesling, but their Scheurebe and Gewurztraminer (especially at the Spatlese and Auslese levels) are absolutely the finest in the Pfalz (all the producers say the same). Both truly exotic; overflowing with lively, tropical, perfectly balanced fruitiness.

Can't contain my enthusiasm for these wines. You see, I'm so enthralled with the Pfalz that I recently had 200 cases bottled (Kabinett Riesling from the Deidesheimer Leinholer) specially under my restaurant's own label. Great with Euro-Asian-Pacific food!

- Robban - 10-06-1999

OK. You guys were right again.

The 76 Riesling has a wonderful deep color. It had, of course, passed its prime and so the taste didnt last as long as it once had.
Enjoyable, without a doubt with many nuances still there. But sometimes old friends who you have not met for many years have changed with the years. (Yeah, I suppose i've passed my prime, too)

The Gewurtz was, as i had expected, better for its age than the Riesling. Hadnt ever reached the Reislings heights - but has held its own better with the years. The grape, of course.

And so, we shall continue to heed your advice and will continue to "Drink up".