WineBoard
'99 Joseph Leitz Rudesheimer Drachenstein - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Germany/Alsace/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: '99 Joseph Leitz Rudesheimer Drachenstein (/thread-11162.html)

- wondersofwine - 03-26-2002

This Riesling from the Rheingau region was selling for $12.99 or $10.39 by the case--a bargain. It's a pleasant, straightforward, rounded wine, spritzig when first poured. Good pale gold color with clarity. 9% alcohol by volume. It was well chilled when poured and needed a little time in glass for the nose to become evident. The palate offered peach notes and a floral fragrance--not as overpowering as honeysuckle but tending in that direction. It was a nice accompaniment to apple nut cake with caramel-toffee sauce drizzled over the top. Would also make a good apperitif or after dinner sipper. (Drachenstein, btw, means Dragon Stone).

- Kcwhippet - 03-26-2002

Ya know, WOW, that wine sounds so good the way you describe it. Our cellar has absolutely zero Germans, out of about 350 bottles. There are just so many of them and we still have problems decipering those labels. Someday soon, we're just going to have to break down and make the effort. The problem is that we're so focused on reds. But, gosh, that wine and the dessert sound so good.

- hotwine - 03-26-2002

That's a good description, Wow. Rudesheim is one of my favorite little villages on the Rhein, and a very dependable, consistent wine source in the Rheingau. I'll try any bottle from that village, with complete confidence.

- Thomas - 03-26-2002

Before I started up a winery in the Finger Lakes region I eschewed Riesling wine as--sweet and unworthy of my time. Now, I am a Riesling fan to the top, and I think what WOW posted is exactly the kind of appeal that stuff can be to open-minded people.

To me, Riesling is the most versatile grape--red or white--ever put on God's green vineyard hillsides. How many varieties can be made into sparkling and still wine, dry, or semi-dry, and also as spectacular dessert wine? Not many, and none as well as Riesling. And to those who say white wine doesn't age well--try an old Riesling. I have had some as much as twenty years old that will knock one's socks off.

- wondersofwine - 03-28-2002

If I remember tomorrow to bring the recipe with me I will post the recipe for the apple nut cake. It's easy to make (other than the chore of paring, coring and dicing or slicing the apples) and delicious and feeds a crowd.

I first saw Rudesheim on a six-week tour of Europe the summer after graduating from college. We stayed overnight there and the next day had breakfast on our balcony watching the bustle in the street below. I revisited this charming town two or three times while working in Germany. One time I was able to play peacekeeper. Two American GIs who had had too much to drink were weaving through the streets, one riding on the other's shoulders. One of them thought they had been pushed and angrily confronted a middle-aged German with his wife saying "You pushed me!" The German did not seem to speak English and looked completely befuddled. I stepped in and said "If he bumped into you I'm sure it was not intentional. In these crowded, narrow streets you can't help bumping into people so why don't you shake his hand and be on your way." The American put out his hand for a hand shake and the German, still looking like he didn't know what was going on, shook hands and the drunk Americans moved on. I remain pleased that I turned what could have been ugly into a friendly gesture.

- jock - 03-29-2002

This is mostly for KC.

Boy are you missing the boat. German Rieslings are among the greatest most interesting wines in the world of any color. They will live longer than most reds, even the Spatlese and Kabinett. It's the good acid levels. They gain amazing complexity with time. The 1971s and 1983s are still incredible if you can find a bottle that has been well stored.

Don't discount them for use with courses other than dessert. They work wonderfully with cream or butter sauced fish dishes. They are great with salad courses especially if the salad has fruit. Also perfect with pork and ham.

- Kcwhippet - 03-29-2002

Jock,

Here's a few reasons why we haven't done much with German Rieslings. First off, my wife won't eat any (as in never) fish or ham, so those pairings wouldn't happen at our table. Second, though I'm more than willing to experiment, she doesn't really like wines with much RS, other than true dessert wines. Even KJ Chard has too much RS for her tastes. We have a good selection of German wines in our shop, but I let the boss cover any questions. I admit I have a gaping hole in my store of wine knowledge, but there's only just so much time and too much wine.

- wondersofwine - 03-29-2002

Here's the recipe I said I would post. I got it from a friend in Maryland and I don't know where she got it so hope I'm not violating any copyright.
Apple Nut Cake Serves 15-20 depending on
how large the pieces are cut
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups pared, diced apples (about 3-4 large apples should do it; sliced or diced works)
1 cup pecan pieces (optional)

Topping:
stick margarine or butter cut into pieces
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk

Grease and flour a 9"x13"x2" baking pan. Preheat oven to 350 F. Sift together flour,
baking soda and salt. In large mixer bowl mix together oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Blend dry ingredients into second mixture. Stir in apples (and pecan pieces). Spread
evenly into pan and bake for 55-60 minutes.
Near end of cooking time make topping. Combine margarine or butter, brown sugar and milk in saucepan. Let boil about 2 1/2 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour over cake while still hot, after poking holes in the cake (with a toothpick or other sharp point) so the topping can penetrate.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 04-01-2002).]

- wondersofwine - 03-29-2002

Try a Wehlener Sonnenuhr and see if your wife is still resistant to German wines.

- Kcwhippet - 03-30-2002

I just stocked a case of the 99 J.J. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr last evening. I'll bring home a bottle tonight and see what happens

- Drew - 03-30-2002

Wehlener Sonnenuhr was my first into Germans and love a long time ago.

Drew