WineBoard
Lamb - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Lamb (/thread-1114.html)

- mrdutton - 03-31-2002

Ham is a spring dish because it is about 6 months past the slaughter and cure. Lamb is a spring dish because it is freshly slaughtered. I am sometimes a firm beliver in closer to the bone, sweeter the meat. I like ham (heck I live in Virginia, I almost have to like ham), but I LOVE spring lamb.

Free range spring lamb rack (cut in half to serve one) coated with a paste made from fresh chopped rosemary, dijon mustard, chopped garlic, ground black pepper and olive oil. Let the rack marinate for a couple of hours after a liberal coating with the mustard paste.

After the marinade time is up, bring the lamb out of the fridge and allow it to come up to room temperature. Leave the paste in place on the meat.

Heat up the fry pan, add a few tablespoons of olive oil and bring up to just about the smoke point.

Sear the lamb on both sides. About five minutes on a side to form a crust out of the paste. Fat side down, coat the rack with fresh home-made bread crumbs, pour on some melted sweet butter. Finish in a 350 oven until medium-rare. About 12 minutes for 1/2 rack.

Serve with risotto and a Van Ruitan - Taylor Cab - Shiraz.

Happy EASTER!! Happy SPRING!!

- Innkeeper - 03-31-2002

Sounds great as usual Mike. Happy Easter to you and all too. Here is our traditional Easter that we did again today:

ROAST LEG OF LAMB:

Large, whole, leg of lamb with fell and serious fat removed
Head of garlic
3 tbl olive oil
1 tsp Crushed dried rosemary
Salt and pepper mill

Peel garlic cloves and cut into slivers. Make small 1-inch deep incisions all over lamb, and push in garlic slivers. Massage oil into lamb with hand. Sprinkle with rosemary, salt, and pepper. Place lamb in shallow roasting pan with rack. Put a meat thermometer in meatiest part (not touching bone), and roast at 350º until it reaches 145º (ignoring what recommendation is printed on your thermometer). It will take about 2 hours. For gravy add ¼ cup four and 2 cups water for every ¼ cup drippings; bring to boil and simmer five minutes. Serve with mint jelly.

FLAGEOLETS EN CASSEROLE:

2 C Dried flageolets
1 Onion stuck with 1 clove
1 Bay leaf
2 Sprigs parsley
Salt and pepper mill
2 tbl Olive oil
1 Onion finely chopped
1/2 tsp Minced garlic
3 Tomatoes peeled and diced
1/2 tsp Dry basil
2 tbl Chopped parsley
3 tbl Pan juices from lamb

Soak beans in 6 cups water overnight. Drain and put in pressure cooker with 6 more cups water, studded onion, parsley sprigs, salt, and pepper. Bring to pressure, cook a minute, and let pressure drop naturally. Drain. Meanwhile, cook onion in olive oil, add garlic, tomatoes, and basil, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Combine with beans, chopped parsley, and pan juices, and simmer for another ten minutes.

GLAZED CARROTS:

WINE: Serve with a lusty syrah.

COFFEE CREAM CAKE:

4 Eggs
1 C Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
1 C Flour
2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt

Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla until very light and lemon color. Fold in by hand sifted dry ingredients. Bake at 350º in two 8" cake pans (pammed) for 30 minutes. Cool on racks.

For Coffee Cream:
1 C Cool strong coffee
1 lb Confectioners sugar sifted
Pint Heavy cream whipped

Split layers in half. Whisk coffee and sugar together. On 3 layers drop some of coffee cream and top each with ¼ of the whipped cream. Mix remaining coffee cream and whipped cream together, and "ice" top and sides of cake with it.