WineBoard
Willi Oppitz Austrian winemaker - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Germany/Alsace/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: Willi Oppitz Austrian winemaker (/thread-11137.html)

- jasmudger - 10-13-2004

I had the pleasure of meeting Willi Oppitz, Austrian wine producer at the LIWSF (London International Wine & Spirits Fair) and tasted his AMAZING range, heres a couple of snippets: (is it ok to put tasting notes here?)

Im JImmy, Marc & Shaun are two other consultants that joined me (what a chore!)

WELSCHRIESLING 1999 EISWEIN
One that I had looked forward to for ages, a proper eiswein. I've tried most of the ones available at shop/supermarket level in the UK (which isn't much!) and to try this great. Well structured with bundles of sweet fruit and a long long finish
Jimmy 9 Shaun 9 Marc 9
average 9

OPITZ ONE 2000
This is aptly named 'opitz one' as it is one of the wines for 'formula one' racers McClaren (as well as one of the queen's wines!). A great barrage of toffee apples and rich fruits with a superb finish
Jimmy 9.5 Shaun 9 Marc 9
average 9.2

GOLDACKERL TROCKENBEERENAUSLESE 2000
YES!!! I've tried one, and my god this 'trockenbeerenauslese' (trock-en-beer-en-oce-lazer) is fantastic. The sweetness is very high but it has the maturity to go with it with an array of rich fruity flavours and a lovely finish. Truly remarkable, I couldn't find anything wrong with this one, Shaun though it was (only a very little bit) too intense but he only docked half a mark off for that!
Jimmy 10 Shaun 9.5 Marc 10
average 9.8

So, Im a big fan of Eiswein - and you guys being close neighbours to Canada I just wonderedwhat you thought:

Canada Eiswein (Ice Wine) or German Eiswein?

Ive tried Vidal Icewine, but I (personally) thought it wasn't upto to ol' Germany's standard.

- wondersofwine - 10-13-2004

I've had two opportunities to taste Iniskillen Riesling Ice Wine from Canada and thought it a rare treat. I lived in Germany for a total of about 12 years (not continuous) and was able to sample some Eiswein there at less expense than in the USA. Some of it was superb. I haven't been able to try Canadian Ice Wine side-by-side with German Eiswein but think both are pretty marvelous. I don't think I've had the Vidal Ice Wine--probably would prefer the Riesling but would like to try Vidal also.

- Innkeeper - 10-13-2004

We brought back a Vidal Ice Wine from Wagner in the Finger Lakes last May. Liked it best when tasted against their other two (one was Riesling and the other I don't remember). Haven't popped the keeper yet.

- Zinner - 10-13-2004

I've been lucky enough to have quite a number of opportunities to taste Eiswein--German, Austrian, Canadian and others. And it seems to me that I've had stand-outs from each place. I don't think it's that cut and dried that one is always going to have the superior product. Sometimes the perfect conditions and the great grapes come together without respect to country of origin.

And I've quite enjoyed some of the Vidal Ice Wine I've had too. It's different but then in Germany, a Riesling Eiswein is different than a Scheurebe Eiswein. I just appreciate them for what they are.

As for the Trockenbeerenauslese, I thought that intensity is one of the things that folks pay the big bucks to get. Perhaps your friend would just prefer an Auslese or a Beerenauslese. Or perhaps I don't understand exactly what his objection was.

As for Inniskillen, agree they do some great stuff. Do taste that if you get a chance.