WineBoard
ZH Gueberschwihr Riesling - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Germany/Alsace/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: ZH Gueberschwihr Riesling (/thread-11133.html)

- Kcwhippet - 12-16-2002

We went to a holiday tasting at a local wineshop and this was one that impressed both of us. Sort of a strange nose at first with what seemed like fuel oil, but got over that and noticed peaches. Nice spicey peache and apple taste with good acidity and a very slight bit of sweetness. We've never been big fans of Alsace (or German) wines but this one was so nice Judy insisted we get add four to the two mixed cases we took home.

- Innkeeper - 12-16-2002

Sounds very nice KC. What was the price, and do have any idea how widely it was distributed?

- wondersofwine - 12-16-2002

We've been telling you to give Riesling a chance. The fuel oil (petrol) aroma is not unusual with rieslings and is not usually a detractor.

- Kcwhippet - 12-16-2002

IK, The net price was $14, and it appears to be very limited. They had three cases at that shop out of about 120 imported. Besides the really nice taste, that's one of the reasons we picked up four bottles. Kind of hate tasting a good wine and finding out we can't get it, so we made the most of the opportunity, but in retrospect I think we should have picked up more.

WOW,

You're right, the petrol nose didn't put us off, though it was somewhat strange to encounter when we're not used to it. It looks like Judy's been made a convert, so we may be making more forays into Alsace and probably Germany in the future. It's not like I haven't tried before, but this one did it. It's amazing, too, because this is supposedly near the lower end of their offerings.

- Kcwhippet - 12-16-2002

Oops. I did some bad math. The wine was $22 per, not $14.

- Thomas - 12-16-2002

The petrol nose usually kicks in as Riesling ages. What was the vintage?

- Kcwhippet - 12-16-2002

No real age yet. They're from the 2000 vintage, but they definitely had a whiff of petrol (fuel oil). So, the longer we keep them, the more they smell like petrol? And this is a good thing?

- Bucko - 12-16-2002

Petrol, diesel, slate -- OH YEAH! I find this VERY desirable in a Riesling and is more common in Germans. Try wines from the Erdener Treppchen vineyard for a classic experience.....

- Kcwhippet - 12-17-2002

Is this petrol nose a characteristic of Alsatian Rieslings only? I don't believe I've ever experienced it with other Rieslings, but then most I've had have been very young.

- Bucko - 12-17-2002

ET is a Mosel vineyard.......

- Kcwhippet - 12-18-2002

I guess if I actually read the reply I would have noticed.

- Thomas - 12-18-2002

My concern about that particular wine is that the petrol nose seems rather early (200 vintage), which might (MIGHT, MIGHT) indicate a wine that hasn't many years ahead of it.

A good Riesling should age gracefully over at least a decade, and more...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 12-18-2002).]

- Kcwhippet - 12-19-2002

There wasn't much petrol there, Foodie. We got the first pour out of a freshly opened bottle. The petrol was noticeable because it was unexpected, but the peach and apple quickly overcame it.

- Thomas - 12-19-2002

Yeah, peach and apple are the up-front qualities of a young Riesling. Sometimes lemon is in there too. Can't beat some of that stuff.

- Bucko - 12-19-2002

I bought pretty heavy with the 2001 vintage. Lots of Spatlese and Auslese. They are such food-friendly wines, especially with Chinese and Thai foods.