WineBoard
Beaujolais Dinner - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Beaujolais Dinner (/thread-1112.html)

- Innkeeper - 11-16-2001

Well, we celebrated November 15 big time last night. Went to Jonathan's in Blue Hill for a six course Beaujolais dinner. All wines were from George Duboeuf. Here is the menu:

Assorted Crudite, paired with Beaujolais Villages 2000.

Warm Goat Cheese, Mesclun Salad, paired with Macon Villages 2000.

Pate en Croute, paired with Brouilly 2000.

Sole Poached in Red Wine, Shallot Butter Sauce, on Wilted Spinach, paired with (ta, ta, ta; paraded in by chef and waitstaff) Beaujolais Nouveau 2001.

Beouf Bourginion Classique, Turned Potatoes, paired with Moulin A Vent 1998.

Assorted Fruites and Cheeses, Apple Tart Tatin, paired with favorite wine from previous courses (Brouilly por moi, Nouveau por Mother).

The Nouveau was excellent, and portends that all the 2001s will be of high quality. How did it compare with the 2000? Hope I'm wrong. This is sort of like barrel tasting. But my impression is that it was not quite as good as the 2000.

Incidentally the tab for all this came to $70.00 for the two of us. Wish you all could have been there.

- hotwine - 11-16-2001

Wow, what a bargain, IK! I'll pick some of the nouveau today.

- Bucko - 11-16-2001

You got my mouth watering......

- mrdutton - 11-16-2001

Other reviews of the 2001 Beaujolais Nouveau I've read have not been as happy with this one as they were with the 2000 release.

However, I will reserve judgement until my case arrives in a few more days.

IK, the dinner you had sounded wonderful. Is this a yearly thing? If so, maybe we should mark our calendar for a trip to Maine next year in November!

- hotwine - 11-16-2001

Having heard the intel that this year's nouveau isn't a match for last year's, I've not ordered a case this time, but plan to sample several different products.

Went by my preferred retailer today, and he hadn't received his shipment yet. Rather than go somewhere else, I'll wait a few days and revisit.

- joeyz6 - 11-17-2001

I was in France this time last year for the Beaujolais Nouveau and I remember being a little happier with 2000 than this year's (I sampled the Duboeuf last night as well). But I think this year's is very pleasant, as well. Nice plum bouquet with a lot of fruit flavor. I purchased another that I haven't tasted yet...Drouhin, I think? Anybody had that one?

- Innkeeper - 11-17-2001

Joey, I think you got it just about right.

Mike, I'll try to let you know well in advance if they are going to do it again next year.

They are doing a Sicilian Wines night on November 28th. Alleged wine connoisseur George Schwartz is going to tell us all about the "award winning" wines of Sicily. Where is Roberto when we need him.

- barnesy - 11-17-2001

I prefered the Drouhin B-N to the Duboeuf B-N on the 2000 vintage. Both were nice. A lot of the retailers around here are selling a b-n by, I believe, Michel Picard. Anyone have any info on this one?

Barnesy

- wondersofwine - 11-20-2001

The dinner sounds great. I just bought a bottle of Drouhin B-N this weekend and may open it at Thanksgiving dinner along with a 2000 Fleurie. If anyone wants white wine I will have a Gewurztraminer to offer.
(The Drouhin B-N was priced at $9.99, the Duboeuf at $8.99 and another--perhaps Jadot--at $7.99 but the wine shop guy recommended the Drouhin as the best so I thought I'd go with his choice.)

- hotwine - 11-24-2001

Finally pulled the cork on Duboeuf's '01 Nouveau. Raspberries, cherries..... what? Jello? Koolade? An air-headed cheerleader of a wine - nice to look at, but not worth the investment of an entire evening. Better than the '99, perhaps, but not up to the '00.

- winedope - 11-24-2001

Looking at it from the food point as well, your dinner sounds wonderful! When we next get to Maine, I'll have to look up your restaurant. Yummmm. Also sounds really reasonable!

[This message has been edited by winedope (edited 11-24-2001).]

- Innkeeper - 11-24-2001

Gil, guess I sure have been more positive in my evaluation, but under the circumstances you will surely understand.

Winedope: The prop is unsure about next year. Has promised to let me know well in advance, and I will post the info on the Board.

- hotwine - 11-24-2001

IK, I do indeed understand those circumstances. That had to have been a wonderful evening!

- hotwine - 11-25-2001

Mea culpa! I misjudged the DB Nouveau, based on pairing with turkey sandwiches. Enjoyed tonight with full-blown leftovers of dressing, turkey, yams, cranberries soaked in Jack Daniels, brussels spouts and fresh rolls. What a difference! Debra fussed at me for not providing it for dinner on Thursday. What can I say? She usually wants a white with turkey, so I had served a Sauvignon Blanc. She's really enjoying this BN, and I'll admit, so am I.

- mrdutton - 11-26-2001

Well we are all drifting away from the topic that started this thread.........

Be that as it may......... Shared Thanksgiving with most of the whole family this year. (Years past have been private, like Christmas.)

We went to Delaware to be with the parents. My Brother, his wife, and their three children; myself, my wife, my daughter and her two children (yeah, we's grandparents).

Snacks consisted of Shrimp and spicy cocktail sauce, baked Brie en Croute, plain Brie, Asiago, Baby Swiss, Aged (8 year) Cheddar, Boar's Head Pepperoni slices, Havarti with Jalapeno Pepper, assorted crackers.

Booze included gin, vodka and Jack Daniels. Wine included three bottles of Georges D. Nouveau Beaujolais. The snacks got eaten and the GD got drunk. Not much hard stuff was consumed. Most of the folks liked the fruity, jammy (no, not bubble gum), banana flavor of the Nouveau.

Dinner was a mish-mash of Oven Roasted Turkey, Cranberry Stuffing, Oyster Stuffing, Creamed Green Beans with Onion Rings, Fresh roasted carrots in a butter sauce, sauerkraut, sweet potatoes (Haymans from Eastern Shore Virginia) with pears topped off with a mix of pecans, flour and brown sugar; Whole cranberry sauce with raisons and ground cloves.

Wine was served and it included a Schmitt-Sohne Reisling Kabinett (sp?), two bottles of KJ Zin-Shiraz Collage, one Gallo of Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon and one more bottle of the GD Beaujolais Nouveau.

Most of the men and the women drank the CS like it was going to be the last glass they ever had. However, the Reisling was a big hit with the rest of the folks. After the CS and the SW (the German white wine stuff), the KJ Collage was then consumed.

Everything pulled together, a miracle that was...... The Reisling and the CS went away first. Then the KJ Zin-Shiraz disappeared as noted above.

Then some where around Mince Meat Pie time, the rest of the GD Nouveau disappeared.

The fruity, jammy, banana flavor of the Nouveau was a great begining and a great ending, it seemed.

- Drew - 11-26-2001

Mike, did you get a chance to stop at Coastal Wine and Spirits outside of Rehobeth?

Drew

- wondersofwine - 11-26-2001

We drank the Joseph Drouhin Nouveau Beaujolais with our Thanksgiving dinner and two people opted for the white wine (Fetzer Gewurztraminer). The red wine drinkers proclaimed the Drouhin N.B. "delicious" and I would concur. Didn't taste any bananas in it. Very fruity and mellow. I would think it would be hard to beat for what it is--i.e., a very young Beaujolais.

- Innkeeper - 11-27-2001

For our third iteration of Thanksgiving last night we popped a G-D-B Nouveau. It did match very nicely, and no bananas.